First timer with problem back in State.

Dark Knight

Mar 17, 2014
Hello DR1ers...

First and foremost, I am long time reader of the board. I enjoyed reading and agreeing and disagreeing things that were written here for long time. I am here because I am in need of help. No. I am not looking into move to DR or open up a business here in DR. I am happily making my living and working here already. I just want an advice, opinion or perhaps a guide.

[My situation]
Several years ago, I was in coma for over three weeks for unknown reason and stayed in hospital for exactly 5 weeks in NJ. And I got upper six figure bills that I absolutely cannot pay. I got rejected on assistance so negotiated and came down to they would deduct portion form my pay weekly. About three years ago and I got fired from my work and sometime after that I heard an angel voice from one of company in DR and moved here.
Everything was all well in DR and I went through my first hell of marriage last year at age of 28. I am working as I should be and I got myself a car last year and on and off dating. But, I am in a complete mess in NJ. Apparently the debt went from hospital to collection agency after my funds had dried up in the bank and I was summoned to appear at Court last year at March. My friend, who I used to roommate, happened to pass by my old apartment and the owner had recognized him and given him all the papers and I eventually got a box full of mails couple of month back. The Summon says I owe them little over $9500 and had last year March date to appear at court. I know they over charge for everything but I don?t know how once near $80k bill went down to near $30k to now $9500, but I would take $9500 because it makes sound a lot better than saying I owed them nearly $80k. Now I haven?t called them yet but I had spoken to few of Dominican friends about this and some says call the court and explain that I am in DR, pay them monthly and I?ve also advised to ignore them and live here for forever. I was not looking for any good suggestion, perhaps, I just needed to vent and I got just that from few of the Dominican friends that I asked. But my thought on this is, I don?t want to be stuck here forever and have guilt of owning a debt, especially one that helped me when I needed them most. I just don?t want to live like this, worried consistently and going through another period of insomnia.

How do I approach this?
I know I should pay this but even all the trying hard to save past years, things didn?t really work out as planned to be a millionaire. I?ve asked about company loan the other day and the owner would loan me $3000. He was surprised by this because I never asked for any loan and he would be happy to loan me that in emergency. And I should not had bought the car last year as it chewed up a lot of my saving ($4000) and repair, maintenances and insurance. And I still had to pay my x-wife some. In all the minor expenses I am left with about little over $2000 in the bank. So even I sell all of my stuff, I don?t think I can cover the amounts that I owned but I guess I can get close to that with few more months of work and a loan from company. But. How would I resolve the court issue? Would it be make sense to call the company that holds the debt and settle and then face the court? It just kills me since I don?t have anybody back in state for advice beside my soon to be 80 year old grandpa in Iowa.
[/My situation]

I probably deserve all the crap I am going to receive but I am going to blame this on prednisone. I was forced to take this evil medicine because I never knew I had medicine allergy. Doctor prescribed me some medicine and it screwed up my kidney bad. I went to the same hospital and this time I was generously granted assistance. I end up taking large dose 120mg down to 60mg and now just 10mg twice a daily for years. I can tell you that this is very evil medicine, I read side effect of taking this and I have some of them. I?ve asked about it but doctor said as long as I don?t have more of the severe side effect, I should continue because without it my kidney would fail eventually. So I am continuing taking this even with all the ?mild? problems. Doctor said be happy that I am not having sudden urge to kill myself or talking to my dead parents, etc... I might not have serious side effects but I do have some minor to mid side effect from not able to sleep, not able to sunbathe because my skin would get easily fried up, little cuts would not heal for days and etc. But there are other side effects as well, like the drug?s ability to screw up brain. I feel complete normal most of the time and I know what is right and wrong. But there are many signs of the side effects that I am going through every day. My mind and body slows down to unbearable level sometimes, just like this post is taking me a whole day and some more to complete. I have major mood swing that led to my divorce and not able sustain long relationships. I just don?t give a crap on anything anymore; I mean nothing really bothers me. The things that used to drove me to nuts had become whatever. These are known side effects of me taking it, there could be more but I don?t notice it.

I know I should be in some other forum or legal advice forums but dr1 had been one of my retreats to anything after hard day at work or some crap things happens. Of course there are other forums but it?s not type of forums that I would post serious stuff and wait for some sane advice. And I am not type of a person that like to join in on a lot of forums because sometimes I find it hard to join in and most of the writing would take me forever to post. So I would appreciate if many wise members of the forums who has some knowledge or experience with this could answer problem I have.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
1) Call the creditor and make a deal you can live with, even if it's small. Tell them you're living in the Caribbean and can't pay much. As long as you do that there won't be any court. Even if the court date is already set they'll go to the hearing by themselves and file the deal with the court without you present. No need to be there.
And then continue to honor the agreement.

2) Flush the Prednisone. (I just flushed all of mine) That stuff is not good for you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Come on guys, tough love first thing in the morning?? Let the guy vent......

OP, where do you live in DR?

I'd contact the NJ court, explain you just got all this mail, and ask how to proceed to set up a payment plan. I wouldn't tell them exactly where you're living.

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Dear Dark Knight.

As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I believe everyone will die someday.

My name is Sosua Sonny ,a merchant in Montreal, in Canada. I have been diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer which was discovered very late,due to my laxity in carrying for my health. It has defiled all forms of medicine, and right now I have only about a few months to live, according to medical experts.

I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for anyone not even myself but my business. Though I am very rich, I was never generous, I was always hostile to people and only focus on my business as that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world. I believe when God gives me a second chance to come to this world I would live my life a different way from how I have lived it.

Now that God ! has called me, I have willed and given most of my properties and assets to my immediate and extended family members and as well as a few close friends. I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul and so, I have decided to give arms to charity organizations and give succour and comfort to the less privileged in our societies, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth.

So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in Sosua, Angeles City and Tijuana. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this my self anymore. I once asked members of my family to close one of my accounts and distribute the money which I have there to charity organization and to the less privileged in Thailand and Costa Rica, they refused and kept the money to themselves. Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be contended with what I have left for them.

The last of my money which no one knows of is the huge cash deposit of twenty four million dollars that I have with a Security Company in Europe for safe keeping. I will want you to help me collect this deposit and disburse it to some charity organizations and to the less privileged.

Please send me a message to indicate if you will assist me in this disbursement.

I have set aside 10% for you for your time and patience.

While I await to hear from you, may God be with you and your entire family.

Remain blessed.

Mr.Sosua Sonny

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Dayumnnn... wtf?? And here I was feeling sorry for myself because gf stood me up on Sunday.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think he is STILL in a "Coma"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait for post #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where he asks for some "HELP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I have 4 kids, & a "Dominicana" send ME some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
i can see how your problems have overwhelmed you. i hope i can help. today i will put in the DR mail a small check to you for 10,000 usd. please snd me your address. the mail is very slow here so please be patient.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do nothing. They can never collect from you here. In fact why give them any contact information at all. If you can't pay then just forget about it.

Dark Knight

Mar 17, 2014
Maybe I didn’t make myself straight.

II have just written my story and I want to make thing right on my life. And with people here eagerness to find an answer to a solutions, I thought I might get some great answers form some of you.

I really want this to be resolved. I am not a bad person and I am not looking for handouts. Perhaps like AE said I may need a place to vent and this maybe it. Many of you don’t know what I had gone through. I was working at convenience store and doing side job of programing and fix computers. And one day, I woke up in the hospital and I learned I was in coma for five whole weeks. I woke up and first I thought I got into accident and I lost ability to walk. Because my legs were so numb and I felt my back being separated for days. And have some of you passed blood through urine in the morning? It’s most painful and uncomfortable feeling in the world. I am still in fear and angry at that period of three years brought to my life, from my parents passing in an auto accident to the day I move here. And I hope making everything right bring some kind of assurance that I can look back one day and congrat myself not running away from the past.

I don’t want money or group hug. Like I said I am taking this crazy medicine and I have hard time dealing with reality sometimes. And I know soon it will all pass and I will go on with my life and once again thinking and saying “whatever” as this debt doesn’t exist. But before that happens, I want to set this straight. And perhaps set a plan because like I said, I really don’t have anybody that I can rely on. I know I might be asking in a wrong place, but with so many of knowledgeable people here. I might get some advice to set up a plan to eventually pay this back.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
R U Having Fun Yet????????????
So Much "BULL$HIT", So Little Band Width"!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't for one minute believe this idiot is for real!!!!!
Just has too much time on his hands.
Get a "Hobby" and a "LIFE"!
"Amazon.com"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Flush the Prednisone. (I just flushed all of mine) That stuff is not good for you.[/QUOTE]

Never flush your medications. They go into the water system. Then again, in the DR what difference does that make?

Dark Knight

Mar 17, 2014
R U Having Fun Yet????????????
So Much "BULL$HIT", So Little Band Width"!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't for one minute believe this idiot is for real!!!!!
Just has too much time on his hands.
Get a "Hobby" and a "LIFE"!
"Amazon.com"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I have quite happy life in DR, I have job, I have hobby and satisfying my other needs.
I am at home because my office have no power and our generator had gone berserk since yesterday.
I question myself should I post this or not from yesterday because it was difficult for me to write this and it's even more difficult for me to finally press submit. It doesn't matter anyway because I feel like $HIT looking back at my life and I guess I deserve all these.

P.S.
CC
I am disappointed, I was waiting for a sarcastic remarks but I didn't expect you to call me straight out liar. Don't matter anyway. I guess life will go on like other had said.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Spend all your energies getting over not paying them. In 7 years the debt time limit will run out and you can rebuild your credit. The medical bills will be written off their taxes. Now, relax.