massive accident on azua-barahona road

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I understand it like that. That is what they all do, taking off after causing an accident...not the first time.

May 5, 2007
listin diario reports: Nueve muertos y 5 heridos durante accidente en ruta Azua-Barahona - listindiario.com

9 dead and 5 injured. a truck hit standard minibus. the truck driver managed to escape. both vehicles were traveling at high speed.

drive safely, people. and shalena may note what happened to the minibus, despite the size. often it's not down to what you drive but rather how. unless you drive a patana, that is.

Even if you were riding in a 60 ton Main Battle Tank, it is not going to end well if some idiot runs into you with a 80,000 pound truck going 60mph

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
listin diario reports: Nueve muertos y 5 heridos durante accidente en ruta Azua-Barahona - listindiario.com

9 dead and 5 injured. a truck hit standard minibus. the truck driver managed to escape. both vehicles were traveling at high speed.

drive safely, people. and shalena may note what happened to the minibus, despite the size. often it's not down to what you drive but rather how. unless you drive a patana, that is.

i posted once that the main reason why there are so many fatalities in Dominican minibus accidents is because there are so many people in them to begin with. they are designed for 15 people, but these guys want to up the profit margins by jamming in 23. they fail to understand that the things were designed and engineered for 15 people. the brakes were intended to stop a certain weight load, not twice as much. the steering response, and other such components of vehicle safety, are calculated for specific payloads. these things buzz around the countryside with three guys hanging out an open sliding door. they wreck, and six people fly out the door, cracking their skulls on the tarmac. the government does nothing.

in the country of Guyana, which cannot be considered cutting edge, you better not get stopped with an overloaded bus. the repercussions are not pretty. the DR could take some lessons.

Aug 6, 2006
The reason buses are stuffed so full is that the driver and the cobrador are paid based on the fares they collect. A guy I know, named Cesar?n drives for Simchomiba bunch from time to time (there are about five times as many drivers as would be needed if all worked a 40 hr week). If the bus does not have enough passengers, the driver and cobrador might make nothing at all. I think that Caribetours may do this differently. There is a fee for the use of the bus, then the fuel, and finally a share for the driver and cobrador. Most of the drivers between Barahona and Santo Domingo make about two round trips a week.

The Caribetours driver wears a Caribetours uniform and there is no cobrador, since there are few stops and all money is collected at the ticket offices. When I have ridden Caribetours, there has always been a uniformed PN guy in the jumpseat near the door. The bus leaves Barahona at 6:30. At 6:00 I am the first one there, everyone seems to arrive within ten minutes before departure. There is only one stop in Azua where people get on, but they start getting off entering SD and by the time they get to the terminal, only half of the passengers are left.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That is because these transport syndicate mafias can still do as they please here. But I am afraid even Danilo unfortunately has his reasons not to act against them...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
That is because these transport syndicate mafias can still do as they please here. But I am afraid even Danilo unfortunately has his reasons not to act against them...

I would guess that the "transport syndicate mafias" has killed more people than all the "other" crime combined. With all th police and military they should crush the transport syndicate mafias. Danny boy has no balls.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...and throw this "Hubieres taliban" into jail! Or better yet, shoot him!

I would guess that the "transport syndicate mafias" has killed more people than all the "other" crime combined. With all th police and military they should crush the transport syndicate mafias. Danny boy has no balls.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Know a former police commander for the Azua-Bani region. He mentioned a long stretch of the road where passing a vehicle was too risky and to never drive on that road at night.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I went to La Romana last week. Really enjoyed the highway (first time I went to the east, past Juan Dolio in quite some time). I did notice though that Dominicans are not prepared to use such a highway, they are better off with a highway like the part between airport and Boca Chica. The new highway is perfectly fit to drive 120-130 km/hour, however Dominicans are not ready to participate in traffic at those speeds. You find at 8pm in the dark a camioneta parked without lights half on one lane, just after a curve, people driving 60 km/hour, no one is anticipating on the possible actions of other highway users. I see mayor accidents happening on that high way in the coming months / years

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
True! Had similar experiences. They keep following their "habits". Doesn't matter what road they are on...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On the other hand, my dominican wife drove alone from my town in Holland to Oberhausen in Germany (missing those shopping malls). She doesn't dare to drive on dominican highways...only city traffic, but adapted to european driving rather quick when we lived there.