Gifts I bought for my trip

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
Earlier in a thread, I wrote I needed help on bringing my girl gifts for her and the family. After everyone's feed back I brought her a nice Disney doll for her daughter. For the family, I bought two pack of noodles here in the states for $2 and I think 16-20 come in a box. There are about .50 a pack which is expensive. I spent $4 but it will last them a little while which is big in my opinion. I bought them liquor but that was not the greatest thing. The father has two bottles there that have been sitting there for months. Liquors not that big for that family. I did do some grocery shopping at the store with my girl so I can have dinner and breakfast made while I'm at her house and to give them a variety. They eat plantains, rice and peas everyday. I need meat!!!! I bought eggs, rice, beans, cheese, ham, juice, chicken and bread. My girl was extremely happy, that was my gift to her. All and all, roughly around $60 for everything. Not bad in my opinion. Thanks everyone. You guys were a big help!!!

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
thats good !!! happy it went well. on my first 3 trips i brought gifts for almost all my mans close family brothers sisters. for me it was nothing we have great sales on almost anything here, so i was at like 2$ a person. really nothing for me. and on my 4th and 5th trip i brought nothingggg at all. my bf told me to stop. i thought i was doing only good. but he told me no, we dont need nothing gifts are nice yes but no need to. on the 4th and 5th trip , it was me who got gifts from them. it was so sweet.. jewlery box and picture frame etc. im happy the decsiion of stopping to bring gifts was not done by me. and it didnt cuase any hate with family. since they dont even need the crap i bring. they are well off. just thought maybe and areopastal shirt that was REAL would be nice lolol they go for like 3 $ here on sale. ( that brand is sooo popular over there and here its crap lolol) like old navy .

i have a friend shipping a box every month, spending over 300$ for her sanky panky. and thats just sad, but she doesnt see it. awww well. bf 27 years old she is 46 divorcey weight issues... shes the only one who doesnt see it cause he 'lovessss' her ,

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
thats good !!! happy it went well. on my first 3 trips i brought gifts for almost all my mans close family brothers sisters. for me it was nothing we have great sales on almost anything here, so i was at like 2$ a person. really nothing for me. and on my 4th and 5th trip i brought nothingggg at all. my bf told me to stop. i thought i was doing only good. but he told me no, we dont need nothing gifts are nice yes but no need to. on the 4th and 5th trip , it was me who got gifts from them. it was so sweet.. jewlery box and picture frame etc. im happy the decsiion of stopping to bring gifts was not done by me. and it didnt cuase any hate with family. since they dont even need the crap i bring. they are well off. just thought maybe and areopastal shirt that was REAL would be nice lolol they go for like 3 $ here on sale. ( that brand is sooo popular over there and here its crap lolol) like old navy .

i have a friend shipping a box every month, spending over 300$ for her sanky panky. and thats just sad, but she doesnt see it. awww well. bf 27 years old she is 46 divorcey weight issues... shes the only one who doesnt see it cause he 'lovessss' her ,

Apr 10, 2006
Good to see that you kept it simple. I used to go over bored when I started dating my husband... now I bring pencils/pens/caryons and sometimes markers for his nieces & nephews. (I'm a teacher). For me it feels better that way.

I didn't like the reaction of some of his sisters that seemed ungrateful for a gift (or asking... "Is that it??") so now when we come they don't get anything.

Aug 6, 2006
Unless you buy booze at some sort of tax-free store, it will probably cost more in the US than in the DR. The taxes on booze are higher in the US.

Aug 6, 2006
I have found that here in Miami, one can find all sorts of stuff in yard sales at really low prices. People often get gifts that they never use, and when they run out of space (Miami homes rarely have attics or basements) they unload them for next to nothing. Toys, costume jewelry, personal appliances like hair dryers, radios and MP3 players as well as women's shoes and purses and generally available for a fifth the store price. When someone dies or moves, stuff like paint, brushes, car wax, detergent, bug spray and such can cost very little. The trick is to check out thew local paper and craigslist and take along a GPS to locate addresses. Rich neighborhoods have the best bargains. Rich people need space, poorer people need money. And there are always those people who have stores and ask me "do you know what this would cost in the mall?" when I haggle. I tell them "that is why I am not in the mall." Usually if the price is fair, I do not haggle. It also helps to be cheerful, and say stuff like "I know a little girl who will love this." Because it is true, of course, and she always does.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I have found that here in Miami, one can find all sorts of stuff in yard sales at really low prices. People often get gifts that they never use, and when they run out of space (Miami homes rarely have attics or basements) they unload them for next to nothing. Toys, costume jewelry, personal appliances like hair dryers, radios and MP3 players as well as women's shoes and purses and generally available for a fifth the store price. When someone dies or moves, stuff like paint, brushes, car wax, detergent, bug spray and such can cost very little. The trick is to check out thew local paper and craigslist and take along a GPS to locate addresses. Rich neighborhoods have the best bargains. Rich people need space, poorer people need money. And there are always those people who have stores and ask me "do you know what this would cost in the mall?" when I haggle. I tell them "that is why I am not in the mall." Usually if the price is fair, I do not haggle. It also helps to be cheerful, and say stuff like "I know a little girl who will love this." Because it is true, of course, and she always does.

we actualy have stores like this called value village. they are donations from people they collet and then sell them and suppppperrr cheap... got a pressure cooker i was looking for at only 7$ microwave panasonic 2005 model for only 20$ . stuff ill bring ith me when i move to DR.

or we have kijiji.com that is like craigs list but easier to surf the site with pics, etc

Aug 6, 2006
The best parts of Miami to look for bargains tend to be in Coral Gables, since the addresses are street names, and that means you either have to really know Coral Gables well, know how to read a map, or have a GPS and know how to use it. There is a lot more competition in Miami Shores and the NW part of town, where the streets and avenues all have numbers and addresses are easier to find. There are a lot of Haitians and others looking for bargains to take back or ship elsewhere and sell. But they apparently are not good at reading maps (women, in my experience are often not good with maps) or using GPS devices.

I am sure that there are many women who are quite good at maps. But I have personally met just one in the past 50 years. I have seen no Haitians yet yard sailing in the Gables. That of course, does not mean that they do not exist.

Thanks for the kijiji and value village tips. I will try those and see if it is useful here.

There are several women in this area who run estate sales and put really high prices on what is, in my opinion, crap. They used to put their names in the ads, but recently at least one has caught on to the fact that the serious yard salers avoid them. Last Sat. there was a sale with the "Entire contents of house" message, which generally denotes a sale of someone who died and is being emptied by the heirs so they can sell the house. In this case, it was a bloody lie, all the stuff was "collectibles", obviously from several estates. An example 70 PanAm airlines ballpoint bic pens. Only $50.00! Who the hell want a 20 years old ballpoint for over a dollar? What demented would would buy an entire BAG of them? Not I! Other items were also hugely overpriced, so I slunk away.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
Coral Gables is a rich area and one secret about Miami, if the street is named with no street number, that's a rich area. Coral Gables, Pincrest, Star Island etc.... You won't see much yard sales in this area unless the stock market crashed.