Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OMG, they're paving our road!

Last year, the government started building a new school, the new road that goes to it is close to our house. Previously, we only had a one story elementary school. This one is 3 stories, goes through high school, has cafeteria and all the bells and whistles. Great for the community, maybe more kids will get high school education and then go on to higher eduction and do something with their lives.

Our road is dirt, it was dirt 30+ years ago when we bought the property. Politicians have come and gone, all of them promising to pave the road. The dust that is kicked up by cars and motos is unbelievable - on any given day you'll see people throwing water on the road to keep the dirt/dust to a minimum.

Yesterday afternoon, about 4 pm, we hear a lot of truck noise in front of our house. Mr. AE went out, and came back in with the amazing news that they are paving our road this week. Yesterday they dug down [road currently almost a foot below our entrance/driveway], today gravel coming in, and we're told it will be completed before Monday - when President Danilo Medina is supposed to be here to inaugurate the school.

The road is being paved from the beach, to about 15-20 feet past our entrance, but not to the end of our property. Of course, our neighbors beyond that are screaming bloody murder.

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Administrator
    DR1.com

2. Likes bronzeallspice, Harleysrock, KateP liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news AE! But I wonder why they're not continuing down the road, why stop halfway? Or are they just paving the road for el presidente?(spreading the red carpet)

4. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I just told my wife and she is sooo jealous! Looks like we will have to pay for our road to be paved, the wife and new neighbors want to pool our money to fix it...

Congrats!!!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeallspice View Post
    Good news AE! But I wonder why they're not continuing down the road, why stop halfway? Or are they just paving the road for el presidente?(spreading the red carpet)
    I think they're paving the road for the new school - did you see it when you were here? It's set back off the road, about 50' closer to the beach from us.

They SAY they will continue the road up to the ball field [past the two colmados], but who knows? Poor Lourdes is beside herself, not paving in front of her house.

Administrator
    DR1.com

7. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bronzeallspice View Post
    Hah..
    Remember what they did for the Pope's visit in SDQ back in the nineties?
    When the VIP's come avisiting......the sky is the limit.
    It looks like the long, hot summer will be a little less hot and dusty this year.
    Good stuff.
    Enjoy.

9. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I think they're paving the road for the new school - did you see it when you were here? It's set back off the road, about 50' closer to the beach from us.

They SAY they will continue the road up to the ball field [past the two colmados], but who knows? Poor Lourdes is beside herself, not paving in front of her house.
    Oh yeah, I got to see the school on one of my strolls around the neighborhood. LOL! I can just imagine Lourdes fussing about it!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Is that just me who need to turn the screen 90 degrees clockwise to view the photos?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bred View Post
    Is that just me who need to turn the screen 90 degrees clockwise to view the photos?
    Sorry about that, I don't know what happened, they are right-side-up in my computer!!!!

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=flyinroom;1394877]Hah..
    Remember what they did for the Pope's visit in SDQ back in the nineties?
    When the VIP's come avisiting......the sky is the limit.
    It looks like the long, hot summer will be a little less hot and dusty this year.

On the subject of celebrity visits, I found this Uruguayan film seriously amusing:

El baņo del Papa (2007) - IMDb

It was also informative. I was unaware that bicycle riding smugglers were a feature of the Uruguayan-Brazilian border.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago, they repaved the road in front of my house.
    I had them patch my driveway at the same time, "Thanks Leonel"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I gave the guys doing the work a few hundred pesos.
    Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you need any paving done,"Now's The Time"!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

15. Likes flyinroom liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast