College? Looks like D.R. it is! (for now...)

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
Hey there everybody!

About a year ago I made a post here asking for advice regarding my future college education on whether or not I should've left for the US or stayed here and as it turns out I'm still here in D.R. (personal reasons). I will very possibly be enrolling in either PUCMM or UTESA very soon (I'm a few months away from being a "bachiller") and have been having some worries about this. I've never been an applied student nor do I feel that I have the sufficient study ethics and or "intellect" in order to succeed academically in college and despite all of this I still want to go through the "STEM" route (fields of science, technology, engineering, etc.) and actually graduate and perhaps work in the US if I have to.

I want to know if the "preparatoria" semesters that these universities offer (perhaps someone on these forums that has had experience with these universities could help) can actually aid me in gaining the skills to become a more efficient student be able to study something such as medicine or engineering (I'm more inclined towards medicine at the moment since I feel interested in the complexity of the human body and how to cure diseases) but perhaps this is just a phase that I'm going through. I have heard that many people have had to quit PUCMM because of the difficulty and lack of free time (someone I know quit medicine at PUCMM because of the difficulty and this person studied constantly, or so I think), maybe they over-exaggerated and were actually lazy and or didn't manage their time and study enough (or efficiently).

I guess this isn't really the place to look for advice on these sort of things but perhaps you guys can help me sort things out like last time!

PS. I got a Dominican ID (cedula) so that should prevent me from having to deal with what Americans have to when enrolling in Dominican universities (or PUCMM specifically).

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
My young brother. You say you have never been an applied student and you are lacking study ethics and you want to work in the U.S in medicine or engineering.
Your chances are about the same as being signed by a major league baseball team.
Take a few courses for a couple of semesters, get a few years in academia and report back.
You get a chemical engineering degree and you can get a job anywhere in the world, but engineering degrees don't grow on trees

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You sound very intelligent in writing your post. If you are smart enough to admit your short comings than you certainly have the brain power to change your study habits and become a better student. Enroll and apply yourself.

LTSteve