Dominican Spring

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Interesting story posted on the other website this morning:

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...c-subversive-group-would-target-corrupt-mayor

"The allegedly subversive group Popular Duartian Resistance on Thursday took responsibility for the hail of bullets fired at the (San Francisco Marcoris) City Council building to demand the ouster of mayor F?lix Rodr?guez Grull?n within 10 days, otherwise will be declared a "military target."...

The group, which issued a statement signed by ?Commander Edgar Antonio Reyes Cruz,? said it prefers methods peaceful to satisfy their demands, but the judicial system ?ineffectiveness? forces it to take that type of action once again."

Would love to hear the opinion of others.

Has the populace finally gotten fed up with the corruption?
Does the mayor owe money to traffickers?
Is this the result of rising prices of Presidente and Brugal?

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a chicken, or even just the promise of a chicken is enough to stop any revolt here. i don't see dominicans stand up and march to overrule the government. just the idea of "marching" alone is foreign here. march? it's too hot, the sun is bad for you, legs hurt from walking, no, no no. this could be the first country to motoconch to the barricades.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I hope the people are finally standing up against corruption, but I don't think that making anyone a "military target" outside the law is the way to do it. Taking the law into your own hands at the point of a gun can be very counter-productive to society as a whole.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I have not seen Dominicans rioting yet and it is hard to imagine that there could be real civil unrest but one thing is sure: People are a lot less happy and way more aggressive than 20 years ago.

May 12, 2005
Interesting story posted on the other website this morning:

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...c-subversive-group-would-target-corrupt-mayor

"The allegedly subversive group Popular Duartian Resistance on Thursday took responsibility for the hail of bullets fired at the (San Francisco Marcoris) City Council building to demand the ouster of mayor F?lix Rodr?guez Grull?n within 10 days, otherwise will be declared a "military target."...

The group, which issued a statement signed by “Commander Edgar Antonio Reyes Cruz,” said it prefers methods peaceful to satisfy their demands, but the judicial system “ineffectiveness” forces it to take that type of action once again."

Would love to hear the opinion of others.

Has the populace finally gotten fed up with the corruption?
Does the mayor owe money to traffickers?
Is this the result of rising prices of Presidente and Brugal?

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Are they connected to FALPO at all?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dominicans usually don't march, because marching can get you a bullet to your head. As soon as there's a march the military shows up and they have no self control or know the rule of the law. They love marches, because they get to use those old canisters of pepper spray, flash grenades, etc and shoot live bullets at actual targets.

Don't you remember how the peaceful marches asking for the education budget to be raised to 4% or the peaceful march of campesinos in Cotui asking Barrick Gold / government to pay them what's they're owed for their land were dispersed? Un muerto, cuatro heridos de bala y m?s de 40 por perdigones en Cotu?; marcha pac?fica contra la Barrick Gold se torna violenta ‹ GenteTuya.com – Gente Tuya para decir lo tuyo!

So whenever people are unhappy they would rather start a Huelga with tires burned, trees blocking the roads, etc than a peaceful march. The police fear Huelgas so normally they just let them run its course. If things get too hairy the government first puts out the "Cascos negros" on the streets and these cannot control the situation they puts out special forces (i.e. Cazadores de Constanza) out on the street like they did in 1984.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the time has come to drop salami from the helicopters. i guess chickens could be used as well.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
the time has come to drop salami from the helicopters. i guess chickens could be used as well.

I feel a song...It's raining Salami in the Dominican!!! Come and get your freak on...get your freak on! Come and get your Dominican Salami Mamiiii...!

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have not seen Dominicans rioting yet and it is hard to imagine that there could be real civil unrest but one thing is sure: People are a lot less happy and way more aggressive than 20 years ago.

Have you seen what's happening in Saucedo, the streets look like a movie set for Iraq. Bullets embedded in buildings, etc.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Too many teenage girls here are already getting too much "Dominican "SALAMI" Mami"!!!!!
They need to "Get It" with the "Skin" On!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What would you do for a "Hot Pastrami" on "Marble Rye", mustard, and a huge "Kosher Dill", and an "Egg Cream"?????? :lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What would you do for a "Hot Pastrami" on "Marble Rye", mustard, and a huge "Kosher Dill", and an "Egg Cream"?????? :lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

That's cruel and unusual punishment, offering something like that to a New Yorker in DR.

What would I do? hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I doubt that enough Dominicans would "GET" a New York Style Deli to be successful.
It's much more than the food, it's a "Life Style"!
My best friend growing up in Toledo Ohio was Eliot Brauer.
His dad "Irwin" and "Uncle Boris" owned the biggest & best "Jewish Deli" west of the "Hudson"!
We "lived" there!
We would even go there at 3 am, open up, go into the "Walk in" box with knives & spoons and cut the hanging meats, and eat from the barrels!
Buying trips to "Kosher Zion", and other providers in Chicago were our favorite pass time!
Did I mention that I weighed 275, and so did Eliot!
We had a "Race" to see who coud get to 300lbs. first!
Problem was, I was 6'7, but Eliot was only 5' 6"!!!
They called us "Mutt & Jeff" in high school!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just the fact that you know what an egg cream is makes you okay in my book Criss. I've never been a chocolate person, so mine were vanilla.

Of course, none of this would help with Dominicans, as dv8 said, they want chickens, salami or cold Presidentes.