Residency Renewal For Long Time Residents

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Months ago when there were all the posts about the change in issuing/renewing residency, it was said that there would be a different procedure for long-time residents.

I have been resident for 26 years and have to renew this summer. Does anyone know what the procedure is for me and whether I can renew in Santiago?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Last i heard they were looking at rolling this option out in May. Havent heard anything recently though.

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
If I understood right, you already have a residencia permanente and just to renew this, correct, Ken? Guess "Solicitud" is
another thing.
In case just to renew and as you wrote you have been resident for 26 years you should be lucky to do the process more easy than other longtermin-residents.
Last year in april/may I renewed my residencia and c?dula. On the information-desk in the migracion they handed me
an information-sheet with the procedure.
Important maybe for you this, what they write:

"Nota: todos los extranjeros que tenga Residencia Permanente en R.D. del ano 1996 o antes,

y puedan comprobarlo, se le renovara su residencia con el procedimiento anterior, el cual

no requiere examen m?dico ni los documentos anteriormente descritos."

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ah, you're renewing. Sorry bout that. What i was talking about is a new option thats supposef to come out soon for people that dont have their legal residency but have been luving here for a long time. If you have your permanent residency and have had it for over 10 years you can opt for the Definitiva that doesnt require medical and so much paperwork and is valid for 10 years.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If I understood right, you already have a residencia permanente and just to renew this, correct, Ken? Guess "Solicitud" is
another thing.
In case just to renew and as you wrote you have been resident for 26 years you should be lucky to do the process more easy than other longtermin-residents.
Last year in april/may I renewed my residencia and c?dula. On the information-desk in the migracion they handed me
an information-sheet with the procedure.
Important maybe for you this, what they write:

"Nota: todos los extranjeros que tenga Residencia Permanente en R.D. del ano 1996 o antes,

y puedan comprobarlo, se le renovara su residencia con el procedimiento anterior, el cual

no requiere examen m?dico ni los documentos anteriormente descritos."

Very good news. Thanks, Sabra. It was either 1987 or 1988 that I got provisional residency and permanent residency the next year. I used Fabio Guzman for both, they have it in the file in case what is meant by "puedan comprobarlo" means I have to prove when I got residency because their records from those days are in bad shape or hard to find.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
When I renewed in September did not have to furnish proof. I had permanent residency in 1994. you are under the old rules.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I renewed in September did not have to furnish proof. I had permanent residency in 1994. you are under the old rules.

Thanks for input. I assume, then, you did not have a physical either.

How many years were you renewed for?

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004

No physical, no police report, etc. went in filled out the old form, passport number etc. 2 hr later was renewed for 4 years. paid the vip, think total cost 9k.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
One thing I was told by one of the directors that I just remembered is you have to specifically ask for the definitiva if you qualify. They dont give it to you by default even if you've had the permanent for over 10 years.

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013

Resident since 1995, I renewed last december for 4 more years, I paid 8000 pesos plus the 1000 VIP, don't forget to show your passport and your cedula

No police report, no medical exams, ... it was easy as cake

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
No guarantor needed ...

I have had residency since 2001 and I recently renewed mine myself. I did it a few months late and I think they charged me RD400 per month that I was late. The only option was for 4 years renewal.

I had to do the medical tests, police check and provide proof of solvency.

I did learn that a photocopy of the matricula of my vehicle was acceptable as proof of solvency. No guarantor was needed. I think the vehicle has to be 2005 or newer. They have a huge list of things that can be used as proof of solvency and you need one only from the list.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks bienamor and palito de koko for the information on your experience.

Did you try to renew for more than 4 years? KateP's post indicates that a longer renewal is available.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Thanks bienamor and palito de koko for the information on your experience.

Did you try to renew for more than 4 years? KateP's post indicates that a longer renewal is available.

As far as I know there is no longer amount of years now. A few years ago you could renew for up to 10 years. Think Fisher had a comment on that. but not now.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Months ago when there were all the posts about the change in issuing/renewing residency, it was said that there would be a different procedure for long-time residents.

I have been resident for 26 years and have to renew this summer. Does anyone know what the procedure is for me and whether I can renew in Santiago?

Hey Wallah Ken, times have changed for us "Old Time Residents", & I haven't reached half of the years you have lived here.

I do apologise in not replying to your thread earlier than this. I'm still the same busy person as your wonderful wife was, with the same first name she did, as I do..

I just never bother to come on DR1 much these days, because of the many insults/mockery new members receive, from some stupid comments from SOME long time registered members, (& newish members sometimes, from those that think they know everything about the D.R.

Thus I "stand back" from posting...

I've only been officially resident here in the D.R. for 10 years. Last year I decided (2013), after living here for nearly 11 years I needed to go back to my "home country", to spend Christmas + some time with my family.

I returned to the D.R on 1 January 2014, and went into the Residents queue.... ONLY to be refused entry by 1 new female Dominican Bitxh, who informed me my Resident Permit had expired on 31 December 2013... Other Officers working with her told her in Spanish, NO!, it's wrong! (I have known them & they have known me for years). Bitxh stood her ground, & I could have taken it further at that time.

To be quite honest Ken, I was too exhausted after a 17hr journey to return to the D.R. I just gave up!

However within a few weeks, I called one of my lawyers Group =, (Fabio Guzman) and she agreed that was "over the top", but did inform me, that laws had changed on Renewal of Residency whilst I had been away, and the new rules of Renewal, have already been changed than before that was suggested in May 2014.

She advised:

One can no longer renew in Santiago..

We have to go to Santo Domingo, & go through different procedures than you and I have ever done before to Renew :

Updated Medical Procedures, pee examples..Updated Criminal Records,, etc.,

I also was given that advice by that same female lawyer in Fabio Guzman & Associates, in Santo Domingo, whom wanted to charge me $1360 to renew??

I politely replied to her by email, I would no longer be able to continue with her and my Renewal of Residency.

OOPs Ken,,, within a day, I had a reply from the now recently "Retired Fabio Guzman" (Son of the original Founder)

Diablo

Crap!

Don't believe it Ken.

& I don't accept it... Especially as I have "Special Clearance" from "Fuerzas Armadas", because of my Security Company here. I was deeply offended by that Bitxh on my return to the D.R & that female lawyer from Fabio Guzman

Why the heck should you and I Ken, have to be insulted in this way??
The D.R is your and my home....

Hopefully some other long time Residents here in the D.R. will post a more informed response/personal replies of their experiences in renewing, within the past month,,,without any "live links", to any help sites on Residency in the D.R.,,,, cos those sites are not actually what happens here, and they are NOT kept up to date, as you, I, & others know

This country, as you know, is all about contacts.

Right now Ken,, it appears like I'm either just a Tourist,, or an Illegal Immigrant..

Sorry, I do not wish to make light of this, cos I've been a bit concerned about it too... Just needed to try and make you laugh.

Trust me Ken

I will not let you down, when I have the full truthful answer from Santo Domingo, I will pm you. But I'm so crazy busy it may be many weeks before I can do so... Don't be worried, just be patient, but more importantly DO NOT spend any money on paying any more lawyers fees!

I repeat, hopefully other long term residents, will report on this thread, when they have Renewed their Residency since end of March 2014

Respect as always Ken

Smileyblowingkisses_zpseebfa805.gif

LB

NB: Just my personal experience & obs on everything/every previous post made...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Unable To Renew In Santiago

Just returned from totally useless trip to Santiago in the hope of renewing my residency there.

I got to the office about 10:30. The girl at the desk (very good looking) took my cedula and residency carnet and studied them for a few minutes. She then took the residency carnet into an office. About 15 minutes later she came out and told me that because I have been a resident for more than 20 they were talking with Santo Domingo to see if they could issue the renewal there (in Santiago).

About 1.5 hours later someone came out, handed my residency carnet and told me I would have to go to Santo Domingo.

The trip to Santiago from Sosua on Metro was no joy either. People who complain about Metro being too cold should have been on the bus. The temp when I got on the bus at the Sosua terminal was 28. When I got off in Santiago, it was 34.

As it got hotter and hotter, a woman made several trips to the front to bed the driver to turn on the AC. After the third, he stopped the bus and opened the escape hatches on the roof a bit, but this did not help.

When we arrived in Santiago they moved all the passengers going to Santo Domingo to another bus. Much cheering.

Adding to our discomfort was the fact the trip was slower than usual due to heavily loaded trucks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No physical, no police report, etc. went in filled out the old form, passport number etc. 2 hr later was renewed for 4 years. paid the vip, think total cost 9k.

bienamor, did you have to have 2 photo copies of the cedula, residency card and photo page of passport?
(I saw that in another thread on renewing residency)

Are they now calling numbers and telling people where to go using a TV monitor?

Also saw that in another thread. My old ears will have a great deal of trouble hearing instructions via microphone. I hope the change to use of TV monitor is true.

Where did you get the copy of the old form?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The form you purchase there and fill it out, sign it when you are called back to the window in front of the agent.

Yes they do use TV screens to show the numbers being serviced as well as announcing the number. Be sure to get a number when you walk in. No surprise Santiago was unable to help. Maybe some time in the future. I used Caribe Tours and on both trips to and from I got the one that bypassed Santiago.

I see absolutely no need to use a lawyer after having been through the process (even still needing the medical exam for hopefully one last time). For those that don't need it, one trip is all it should take to Santo Domingo.