Heart worm medicine for dogs

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Does anyone use heart worm medicine for dogs ? If so what is it called and where do you find it ? I went to. The vet food store in Luperon but was given flea, tick, scabies emulsion, when I pointed to heart worm for cows I was told it was bad for dogs? My spanish is poor. I am working on finding a vet.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
go back and look at the boxes again. you need something containing ivermectin plus pyrantel (probably most popular combination here). there are other meds but maybe not as easily available. the product i have is called starcan.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I buy mine at the vets. Heartguard. But the company is changing the presentation right now so its getting scarce. Suggest tou get your dog tested first if you havent been treating him before

Sent from my GT-I9195L using Tapatalk

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Go see Dr. Bob - American licensed Vet .. little road next to the gas station Coastal - Sosua .....

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Does anyone use heart worm medicine for dogs ? If so what is it called and where do you find it ? I went to. The vet food store in Luperon but was given flea, tick, scabies emulsion, when I pointed to heart worm for cows I was told it was bad for dogs? My spanish is poor. I am working on finding a vet.

Definitely do not use cow or horse medication for your dog. No matter who tells you it's safe and OK. There is no way to calculate a safe dose for the dog.

Please find a veterinarian, one that your friends have been happy with, and do it right.

wbr

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

The best is Trifexis which covers Heartworm, Fleas &Ticks, and Intestinal Worms. It is pricey though - a six month supply cost me $110.00 - purchased from a Miami Vet who overcharged me $20.00 because I did not have the dog's vaccination paper's with me. He was concerned for the dog's health, refusing to sell it until I dropped anotheer $20 on the counter. Side note: The USA keeps raising the costs of graduate school tuitions and the result is vets being bought for a $20 bill.... so sad. Of course, I knew the dog was ok to take the pills or else I would have headed his advise.

His concer was.....regardless of the heartworm med you choose, the dog must first be tested to ensure he/she does not already have heartworms. Giving dogs the meds when they have heartworm can kill them.

See a local vet and get the tests.

Jan 17, 2009
Go see Dr. Bob - American licensed Vet .. little road next to the gas station Coastal - Sosua .....

Did he prescribed heart worm medicine for your dog? Dr. Bob told us, eight years ago when we first brought our dog here, that she didn't need heart worm medicine in the DR, only in the States.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Thanks everyone ! Both my dogs have been on heartworm meds and tested yearly. They now live here in the DR. My USA vet
Would only give them one month, so I need to find what is used here. I am also looking into vets - dr bob in sousa and a lady vet in Santiago. I have a few more weeks before they are due.....

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Wow I'm not sure her name , but I want my dogs on the medicine as there are misquotes here.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
go back and look at the boxes again. you need something containing ivermectin plus pyrantel (probably most popular combination here). there are other meds but maybe not as easily available. the product i have is called starcan.

There is heartworm here so you DO want to give your dog meds for it. dv8's suggestion is right. You need a product with ivermectin in it (the pyrantel is for stomach parasites and does nothing for hearthworm). Probably the easiest solution is to buy a bottle of ivermectin at the vet supply store or from your vet. Dosage we use on the street is .1 ml/10lb of dog. This is a very safe dosage (some dogs do react to ivermectin so start small). You will also find that the ivermectin is also one of the best meds in this country for ticks/fleas/screwworms if used regularly on a monthly basis and the cost is very affordable. Ivermectin is our best friend working on the streets with DCDR. Hope this helps.....

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
twhitehead is right on the money. Some dogs will react to ivermectin (notably, but not only the herding breeds) but the low heartworm doses are usually not an issue. Still a test dose and watching for dilated pupils, staggering, other nervous signs is a good idea. That was why I said to go through a veterinarian. Plus support for my own profession.

wbr

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Looking for dr. Bob address and or phone number to make an appointment, can anyone help ?

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Went to see DR. bob, he said dogs don't need heart worm, NOT.... Went to a vet in POP Hedi she sent me to the animal supply store and we got heartworm meds for our girls.

Thanks everyone !!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Did he prescribed heart worm medicine for your dog? Dr. Bob told us, eight years ago when we first brought our dog here, that she didn't need heart worm medicine in the DR, only in the States.

I don't agree with that at all. Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos and the DR is filled with them. Your dog should be getting a heartworm pill monthly otherwise spin the dial and take your chances.