All dominican public schools

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
All Dominican Republic schools to be full-day this year

San Juan, Dominican Republic.- President Danilo Medina on Sunday announced the start of full-day schools August nationwide, what in his view will change the country?s history, "and we?ll be able to become a more developed nation."

"The purpose is to ease their economic burden, especially single mothers from the Dominican Republic. "The extended day, as I said in the election campaign, is going to guarantee a breakfast, a lunch and a snack," Medina said referring to the full-day schools, from 8am to 4pm.

"Here in the coming year, we?re going to finish all schools that have been started and those which are about to begin" the President said during his surprise visits on Sundays, this time to towns of San Juan province (west).

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...can-Republic-schools-to-be-full-day-this-year

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Little question; what for the private schools ?

It hasn't come out yet, but the government will probably mandate the same for private school, at least the full day part. I have mixed feelings on it. Is 6 hours of bad school better than 3.5 hours of bad school. Teachers will make more $ because they'll be employed full days as well. We lost a few students at the beginning of the year to the full day program here in Jarabacoa , mainly because of the two free meals. By October we had most of them back. It presents some challenges for private schools, which the government could careless about. The rules are different for private schools, it's like having a handicap because you're a better golfer.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
My wife works in a public school. Here is what she tells me, so far, about the "tenda extendida": Teachers are happy to make more money, but they have no clue what to do with the extra time, so they give the same 4 hours of class, then 2 hours for lunch (the food is a mess, nowhere as balanced as it looks in the Danilo commercial you might see on TV). Then kids are supposed to go on "talleres", but since no one knows what it is, the kids just sit in the schoolyard doing nothing, waiting for the clock to reach 4pm, when they all go home.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This would mean that private schools will become MORE expensive, I don't think that parents will like that

The government would like to do away with private schools, but at this point they can't. Note that probably 40-50 kids at our school are the sons and daughter of public school teachers. Many people are already stretched thin paying low fees, higher fees mean less students, or more people not paying their bill. Our experience is many people use a private school to teach their child how to read, write, and do basic math then they throw them into the public system, hoping they'll survive.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My wife works in a public school. Here is what she tells me, so far, about the "tenda extendida": Teachers are happy to make more money, but they have no clue what to do with the extra time, so they give the same 4 hours of class, then 2 hours for lunch (the food is a mess, nowhere as balanced as it looks in the Danilo commercial you might see on TV). Then kids are supposed to go on "talleres", but since no one knows what it is, the kids just sit in the schoolyard doing nothing, waiting for the clock to reach 4pm, when they all go home.

Talleres are workshops and it seems like the Gov't hasn't said(yet) what type of workshops
there will be. I think it will be a good idea for the students to be involved in different activities.

This develops their skills and abilities.:)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"The government would like to do away with private schools, but at this point they can't."

I hope that won't be any time soon (as in as long my son is still in school). Because this would really be a reason for us to leave the country.

May 12, 2005
"The government would like to do away with private schools, but at this point they can't."

I hope that won't be any time soon (as in as long my son is still in school). Because this would really be a reason for us to leave the country.

I doubt the Carol Morgan School is going anywhere. Same with all of the other top private institutions. I think that the government would like to see private schools that are just schools in name only go away.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"I think that the government would like to see private schools that are just schools in name only go away."

Yes, hopefully.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I doubt the Carol Morgan School is going anywhere. Same with all of the other top private institutions. I think that the government would like to see private schools that are just schools in name only go away.

private schools are going nowhere in a country in which social stratification is at the bedrock of the culture. Dona Mercedes Vega y Vega y Mas Vega is not going to accept the idea that her Joselito is sitting next to Belkis from Los Mina in a classroom, or anywhere else, for that matter.

can't happen.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Understandable. I want to keep anything "barrio" as far away from my son as possible too.

private schools are going nowhere in a country in which social stratification is at the bedrock of the culture. Dona Mercedes Vega y Vega y Mas Vega is not going to accept the idea that her Joselito is sitting next to Belkis from Los Mina in a classroom, or anywhere else, for that matter.

can't happen.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Understandable. I want to keep anything "barrio" as far away from my son as possible too.

it's your call, because it is your child. i went to school with some pretty poor kids from lowly beginnings. one now owns a major hotel in the land of my birth. i am lucky to have known such a person.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

So would most private schools that are dedicated to providing service to their clients. As far as the barrio, you can try but the barrio will find you. My wife was one of those poor kids ( never lived in the barrio though) that grew up with both rich and poor friends. Some of the poor are rich now, and some of the rich are poor now. They are all still her friends though.
Gorgon is partly correct, but the class distinctions are rather blurry for the most part.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Who knows, maybe some day they will figure this out along with the corruption, electricity and water situations. None of it is rocket science.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It is not because of the fact that people are poor but because of many aspects of the "barrio way of life"*. I know there are good people who are poor too. That is not what I meant...

*I.E. fathering a child at young age without having the means to support it or taking on the responsibility what comes with that, (heck, we all know how "they" are), tigueraje in general, or starting to like / listen to Omega (yuck) etc. etc.

it's your call, because it is your child. i went to school with some pretty poor kids from lowly beginnings. one now owns a major hotel in the land of my birth. i am lucky to have known such a person.

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
A few weeks ago i was in santiago, an austrian friend of mine had some problems with his foot, he went alone to las corominas, but came back real soon since no one was able to understand his BASIC english. Then I had to go with him to translate everything, even doctors, who are pretty smart in my humble opinion, did not understand english.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A few weeks ago i was in santiago, an austrian friend of mine had some problems with his foot, he went alone to las corominas, but came back real soon since no one was able to understand his BASIC english. Then I had to go with him to translate everything, even doctors, who are pretty smart in my humble opinion, did not understand english.

how many Americans and Canadians here understand elementary Spanish? why is the onus upon them to learn english? spanish is their language, so you go learn it if you want to communicate with them.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Why pray tell would he even EXPECT them to understand basic english in a country where spanish is the 1st language. Its this kind of mentality which gives touristas a bad name. Learn the language, hire an interpreter, or stay your ass home