Where to buy Oil/kerosene lamps?

intedserve

Mar 24, 2014
Anyone know Where to buy Oil/kerosene lamps in Santo Domingo? I am also interested in wall mounts/brackets for the lamps.

I tried ferreteria Americana and La Innovacion - they had none.

Thank you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Try local, smaller,hardware stores.
The shoppers at the places you mentioned are more "High End" and wouldn't have an "Oil Lamp" in their house.
"Poor People" need,want, and use, "Oil Lamps".
I bought several years ago.
Just be aware, that I had to keep returning lamps until I got some that didn't leak from the base.
After the first two times, I put the "Oil" in in the parking lot so I could return them right away, and not have to go home to check them first.
Get the best lamps they have!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
I remember some 25 years ago way out in the campo they had kerosene lamps made from old tin cans and 1/4" wicks. I never saw any of the kind with the glass mantles. They didn't put out much more light than a candle or two. I'm tempted to bring an uused Coleman lamp next time with a pressurized gas pump. They put out about as much light as a 100w light bulb. They're pretty much being replaced by LED battery lamps.

Aug 6, 2006
I recall once in the mountains up above Puerto Plata and Imbert I arrived as the people were squeezing honeycombs someone had harvested. The oil lamps used had labels with penguins and polar bears on them that said "Polar Brand Freon 12".

In Barahona, I bought a standard kerosene lamp in three pieces, all made in China: a glass fuel bottle, a wick assembly with a wick, and a glass chimney. I think the whole thing cost about $7.00. Strangely, there was nowhere in Barahona who sold any battery charger that would charge anything but two AA or AAA batteries. Nothing to charge 9v or C or D batteries. You can get a 32 LED light that runs on three D cells that will give about 20 hours on a charge.

May 29, 2006
It's not clear to me whether the OP wants the lamps more for decor or for back-up lighting. There are certainly better options for back up lighting purposes now~ even those dollar store tap lights are better, IMHO.

Aug 6, 2006
The dollar store tap lights would be more expensive to use. Batteries cost more than kerosene.

On the other hand, they are not fragile, and there is no danger they could set the house on fire.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Before we installed our two inverters and windmill, we used Coleman propane lanterns, they really light up a room. They use those small propane tanks. Mr. AE bought a little connector that let him refill the small tanks from our big 100 lb. tank - I remember he used to put the small tanks in the freezer first.

Just something to consider as an alternative to kerosene.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a bunch of "LED" lanterns/lights.
Some have cords, or direct 'Plug" Thingys built in.
They are VERY BRIGHT!
Bought them online off "Amazon", and "Harbor Freight Tools"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC