Just As Predicted Here On "DR1", The "Metro" is Starting To "Fall Apart"!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just As Predicted Here On "DR1", The "Metro" is Starting To "Fall Apart"!!!!!

Please don't tell "Pichardo",....BUT, today's "Diario Libre", page 22, says that if you are "Old" or "Disabled" you will now have a hard time using the "Metro".
At least 3 stations have escalators that don't work!!!!!
Why am I not Surprised??????????? :eek::eek::eek:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You only had to look at the build quality of some of the stations to see the writing was on the wall.

Preventative maintenance is almost non-existent in the DR, across a wide range of services and products, not just the Metro.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They have already had ceiling panels falling down, and "Filtraciones".
It MUST be time to purchase more 2 million dollars "Train Cars" for 4 million dollars??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Oh please, if you actually used the Metro you would see how many people benefit from it. I lost count of how many times I have used the Metro and it was standing room only.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Oh please, if you actually used the Metro you would see how many people benefit from it. I lost count of how many times I have used the Metro and it was standing room only.

What has that got to do with maintenance?

If they are making so much money from ticket fares, you would have thought they would plough some back into maintenance.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What has that got to do with maintenance?......

A couple escalators not working doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The cars are as clean as the day they were put in service. The stations are spotlessly clean. The trains run like clockwork without a glitch. I look at the overall picture and still consider the Metro a success.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A couple escalators not working doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The cars are as clean as the day they were put in service. The stations are spotlessly clean. The trains run like clockwork without a glitch. I look at the overall picture and still consider the Metro a success.

it had better be, what with the amount of money needed to subsidize it.

as for maintenance; it is just cultural, it appears. a government official of sorts moved into the building in which i live, two months ago. every morning he starts his car, it makes this horrendous screeching noise from the serpentine belt. the average human being would have taken it to a mechanic, and had it diagnosed and repaired from the first time he heard it. this guy will have it attended to the day after it leaves him stranded in Laguna Salada. i see this every day.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........as for maintenance; it is just cultural,............
I even have my doubts this is a maintenance issue. I would not be the least bit surprised if the escalators were shut off to save electricity. I use the Balaguer station quite often and it seems odd that three out of four escalators are not running. Really, what are the odds of three different escalators, at the same station, breaking down at the same time.

Oh, and I wonder why the newspaper article never bothered to mention the stations also have an elevator so if the escalators are not working their is always the elevator.

I still say time and time again if those who have never used the Metro took a few trips and actually saw what a great advantage it is to have the Metro they may change their minds.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
An elevator!!!!!! I am not getting in any kind of f#$@$@ elevator anywhere on this island......
What if the 4 haitian guys stop pulling on the rope when ure halfway up?????

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
From what I've read it's not anything major that can't be remedied. In the meantime
the second subway line is poised to start. The DR is moving forward.;)

Giant tunneller poised to start the capital’s 2nd subway line

Santo Domingo.- The Transport Reform Office (Opret) will move the gigantic MKI tunnelling machine to the corner of Venezuela with San Vicente de Paul avenues on Saturday, to start the underground span of the Santo Domingo Metro second line, while at the barrio Gualey crews mark the areas to install the columns for the train’s overhead tracks.

Crews are busy working with backhoes on the digs to ready the ramp for the machine that will dig the tunnel reach stretching to the corner of the Mella highway and San Vicente de Pa?l Av., the new subway’s last stop.

Opret spokesman Leonel Carrasco spoke to newspaper El Dia on the Government’s confirmation that the 88 buses to be used on the subway’s feeder routes were transferred to the Bus Services Office (OMSA), which he called "correct," given the need to improve straphangers’ commute.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-poised-to-start-the-capitals-2nd-subway-line

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Maintenance is for first world countries not for non developing countries. The money set aside for maintenance was used to buy jeepetas. Why would you want all that money sitting around for maintenance on something that is nearly brand new? All of us who live here know exactly how things work here so none of us should be surprised. Besides we all know the handicap people cant manange to get down the street here, well not safely. Yawn. It would be REAL news if everything was working and well maintained.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I would challenge the "Grand Poobah of dr1", whoever he or she was that made that prediction, to name us a city anywhere in the world that operates a subway/metro/underground that does not have a certain percentage of its escalators down for service/maintenance at any given moment.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I would challenge the "Grand Poobah of dr1", whoever he or she was that made that prediction, to name us a city anywhere in the world that operates a subway/metro/underground that does not have a certain percentage of its escalators down for service/maintenance at any given moment.

We all know they arent shut down for maintenance. Yo naciemento en de noche pero no anoche. Lots of people that live here stay disgusted with how things are done here, because it is just plain stupid. And we dont care about other cities in other countries shutting down their escalators. We live here, not Chicago or Nuevo York.

Having said that, i do think overall the metro is a positive for the city and people who live and work here.

Last edited: