Puerto Plata bars

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
hi.. heading to Puerto Plata in a week or so and have never really spent any time there at all. been all over the island but the north coast has been sadly missing from my plans....I know nothing of Sosua, Cabrete or any of those places but I wouldn't mind a few coldies amongst a few English speakers on this trip.. or German- I can speak both.......I ve heard of Rockie s and may stop by for some ribs. but can anyone recommend any other joints? Not the sleazy pick -up type places where there may be trouble, but a place to chill , watch a game and grab a beer.... and while I m on it. which places to avoid.... cheers

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
Puerto Plata

hi.. heading to Puerto Plata in a week or so and have never really spent any time there at all. been all over the island but the north coast has been sadly missing from my plans....I know nothing of Sosua, Cabrete or any of those places but I wouldn't mind a few coldies amongst a few English speakers on this trip.. or German- I can speak both.......I ve heard of Rockie s and may stop by for some ribs. but can anyone recommend any other joints? Not the sleazy pick -up type places where there may be trouble, but a place to chill , watch a game and grab a beer.... and while I m on it. which places to avoid.... cheers

In POP, Big Lee's on the malecon is a great place to hang out, feel the ocean breeze and speak english. It's a very nice bar and they have live american band on Fridays. Also, very competitive prices. 16 de agosto during the day is a nice semi-low key place to grab some drinks and watch sports. During the night it is still very safe, but is filled with people of all ages. I don't know if you want to be in the mix of things, but it's a nice place to hang out, dance, karaoke, and see the beautiful people.

FURGON Bar is a nice dive bar on Ave. manolo Tavarez Justo. They have karaoke on thurs. and fris and always have sports playing. The malecon is filled with nice places to drink and relax. I prefer Acapella and Big Lee's. On the other end: Tam Tam.

~~ Also while in the city, you have to try Kaffe on Ave Juan Bosch. Great food, and you lose yourself in the ambiance and actually forget that you are in the DR. A must-eat IMO

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
In POP, Big Lee's on the malecon is a great place to hang out, feel the ocean breeze and speak english. It's a very nice bar and they have live american band on Fridays. Also, very competitive prices. 16 de agosto during the day is a nice semi-low key place to grab some drinks and watch sports. During the night it is still very safe, but is filled with people of all ages. I don't know if you want to be in the mix of things, but it's a nice place to hang out, dance, karaoke, and see the beautiful people.

FURGON Bar is a nice dive bar on Ave. manolo Tavarez Justo. They have karaoke on thurs. and fris and always have sports playing. The malecon is filled with nice places to drink and relax. I prefer Acapella and Big Lee's. On the other end: Tam Tam.

~~ Also while in the city, you have to try Kaffe on Ave Juan Bosch. Great food, and you lose yourself in the ambiance and actually forget that you are in the DR. A must-eat IMO

thanks
are these places in POP or in Sosua?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
thanks
are these places in POP or in Sosua?

Yes all these places are in POP. In addition to these places mentioned in POP, you can also enjoy less then 100 yrds from El Furgon on the same side is Bottles Drink Bar. Go another 100 yrds and you will see Bohemias Bar. Both places have seating inside and out, as well as a good mixture of locals.
As far as Sosua is concern, my favorite place on PC would be El Flow. Very clean, air conditioned, 100% supported by Dominicans that are not interested in what's going on across the street. They are there for the music, cold drinks, dancing, as well as the service that is provided. Rockys is great for food morning, noon, and at night, however you will not find it as a gathering place for a social night out.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes all these places are in POP. In addition to these places mentioned in POP, you can also enjoy less then 100 yrds from El Furgon on the same side is Bottles Drink Bar. Go another 100 yrds and you will see Bohemias Bar. Both places have seating inside and out, as well as a good mixture of locals.

don't go to any of those places if you value your hearing. the noise in unbelievable. personally i prefer to stay closer to home so if you wish to visit costambar catamaran bar on the beach is nice and friendly. pedro's, on the main street is new, very clean, decent for drinks. on manolo tavarez justo, towards musa TV there is a place called lust.