Relocating the family to Sto Dgo, dream or nightmare?

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
I'm considering relocating from NYC with my wife (American, psychotherapist, recent mom) and young son to Sto Dgo. I am an experienced mathematics teacher hoping to teach at a bilingual school in DR. Professional opportunities for me and my wife? Pros and cons of the move? Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Much Needed

...my wife (American, psychotherapist...) (...) I am an experienced mathematics teacher hoping to teach at a bilingual school in DR. Professional opportunities for me and my wife?

Much needed.
Both:
Revelan 20% de la poblaci?n dominicana padece de problemas mentales | Noticias SIN

Considera necesario revisar *ense?anza de matem?ticas - listindiario.com

However, if your Spanish is not good enough to read and understand those articles, you may want to look elsewhere...

donP

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
OK..two pieces of advice.. first is to get a job hired in the US before you leave as you are then paid at foreign hire prices rather than local prices. The highest paying is Carol Morgan.. the most in need of teachers is Dominican Americano. You may be paid at decent salaries for here but not enough to live on in any sort of NYC style.

As for your wife. I know that there are foreigners here who are psychologists who are practicing. See the list of recommended psychologists at the US Embassy.

If you are Dominican and she can get a cedula easily, AND perhaps is also bilingual.. then there are plenty of opportunities.

I am a NYer born and raised and love it here. But I am retired and do not have to make a living.. The cons are mostly the traffic and the low wages.. the pros are the climate, the low rents or housing prices, and the general slower pace..household help... Cost of living.. well.. that depends.. but almost anywhere is cheaper than NYC.

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Matem?tico, are you of Dominican decent? Do you know spanish? Have you visited before? The best advise found on this forum concerning relocating is to come and stay a few weeks or months before even considering a move here or anywhere. Some will try to tell you not to and how bad it is, yet they're here, so the only person that can determine that is you. I'm from NYC and know first hand the stressful nature of that city, and just like NY there are good parts and bad, one thing I can tell you is that DR has it all, from new city, to old city, mountains, rivers, coasts, much more complicated than choosing urban vs suburban.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
DonP, muchas gracias por los enlaces a los art?culos. Deb? decir que nac? en la Rep. Dom. Y que he crecido en NYC.

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Hello, it's wonderful advise. Both my wife and I are fully bilingual (actually she's trilingual---Portuguese.). I was born in Sto Dgo. Does she need any special license to practice? She's fully licensed in NYS. Other than The Carol Morgan school, which other bilingual schools should I look into in Sto Dgo? If I wanted to offer private mathematics tutoring services in English, is there a market for this? Rates? Any specific monthly expenses that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Good morning, yes I am. We just returned from a wonderful 10-day vacation in Sto Dgo and Bayahibe. I love it there, but I am aware that one thing is to enjoy a short stay an another is to live there full-time. I have so many questions and equations in my head I'd like to know the answers to before embarking on such a life-altering adventure. This is the reasons for my questions. I would love to learn about as many of the variables as possible. I emigrated when I was 13 years old, and have been back to visit many times. Every time I leave, I seem to leave a piece of me there.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
Good morning, yes I am. We just returned from a wonderful 10-day vacation in Sto Dgo and Bayahibe. I love it there, but I am aware that one thing is to enjoy a short stay an another is to live there full-time. I have so many questions and equations in my head I'd like to know the answers to before embarking on such a life-altering adventure. This is the reasons for my questions. I would love to learn about as many of the variables as possible. I emigrated when I was 13 years old, and have been back to visit many times. Every time I leave, I seem to leave a piece of me there.

I am in the same position with a few different variables, but i have been considering this for several months now. I am currently in NY and trying to figure out all the different curve-balls that can be thrown my way. Hopefully we can get some good information!!! best of luck!!!

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
Interesting. Yes, I hope fellow forum members share openly and frankly their collective wisdom. That information is priceless.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Obviously an intelligent young couple and as a native you know the country.. A great idea if coming for an adventure and connect with your roots. If a decent standard of living is not important come on down. If interested in saving for the future a real bad idea. As you know the salaries here stink and jobs scarce. I am a semi retired licensed medical professional in the USA ..because i often post politically incorrect I wont state what profession i am in. I live in Santo Dom and wouldnt dream of working down here.. too many barriers, no money in it. I do per diem jobs in the USA about 3 or 4 mos a year. I cant see how your wife could develop a decent practice here.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It will take "Dinero" to get set up here.
Depending on what "First World" a lifestyle you want to live.
I don't know the extent of your "Dominican Experience",meaning at what age you went to NYC, and how many times you have visited, and family connections/support here in the DR.
Do you plan to rent an apt.?
Furnished, unfurnished, neighborhood,Car,entertainment,etc.
You could need as much as $10,000 US to just get started.
If you are "In Love" with the DR, just because you visited a few times recently, stayed at the beach, and didn't get to know Santo Domingo, better visit some more before you make the move.
If you know that you are financially, and mentally, prepared, why not.
You can always leave, you have American passports!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is good that both of you speak spanish, it will be easier to find a job and organize daily living. if i were you i would look at more than just private schools, university teachers are just as needed and there aren't many graduates in your line of work. psychologist sounds good. i really do not know what kind of qualifications will your wife need to practice in DR but the rates for those services are pretty good. miesposo's cousin in a psychologist in SD, in a large practice with several other professionals, each working in a slightly different field (addiction, PTSD, divorce and so on).

still, be prepared for a drastic change of lifestyle. with a small baby in tow you will need to compromise on many things and settling down will cost you more. i'm with cccc on 10k dollars number to start, providing that by then you will both have jobs. but apartment rental with deposit, initial services costs (phones, internet), even help (maid/nanny) will cost you money to be paid out before you bring any income.

also, one essential thing: purchase health insurance as soon as you arrive. you will thanks me later for that. this is a must for a family with small kid.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Ditto" on everything, ESPECIALLY the health ins.
I have 4 kids, and over the last 16 years it has saved me a "Bundle"!!!!!!!!!!!
My "Brother-in-law" is from Spain. He has a degree in Economics from a Univ. in Boston, can't remember which one, and he has taught at Univ., here in SD, and Santiago.
The UASD univ. here in SD, NOT the best, But, is hiring foreign profs. to improve their programs in all fields.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
I completed 8th grade in Sto Dgo, then finished high school, undergraduate and graduate schools in NY. I try to stay current with the goings on in the DR. I've been fortunate enough to visit often (I've even done summer undergraduate work there). Some family ties I'd love to strengthen. The plan is to rent in a safe neighborhood.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Does it have to be SD? There are other, less stressful, parts of the country with better quality of life and good schools, including La Romana (Abraham Lincoln School) and Punta Cana (PC International School, Cap Cana Heritage, Bavaro Bilingual).

With the new highway the capital is only one hour from LR and less than 2 hours from PC.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your "Dominican Background" should serve you well.
"Good Neighborhoods" start at about 20,000 pesos a month.
Check out "Super Casas" I think it's called, others may have more/better sites.
Los, Casicasgos is a good area to start, as is "El Million" and "Piantini" but they have more "Transito"!
If Santiago is a possibility, it's a little cheaper there.
And it has at least one great Univ.!
Good Luck!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Matem?tico

Mar 25, 2014
What's the usual rental deposit required? Range of rents for furnished 3 bdrm appt in Piantini, Zona Universitaria, Naco, etc?

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
From my understanding Piantini is a more upscale neighborhood and rent can be more expensive there. Supercasas.com definitely has listings for buying & renting. An additional website is mudate.net.

Other sectors in Santo Domingo to consider is: Renacimiento, Mirador Norte, & Bella Vista. One of the bigger issues with these areas from other forums i have read is that the morning commute is really bad.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
These are good sites with most of the ads are from agents. I live in zona universitaria... definitely above average and I think the average 3 bedrooms rents unfurnished in better neighborhoods you mentioned are $500-1000. What i dont like is most of these rentals come with a 1 month rental fee to the agent. I realize these agents have to earn a living but this aint Manhattan. Try to get one without the middleman.