Propane Tanks

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
They go by gallons here and that ios 6 gallon bottle, 668 pesos to fill. You know when to fill it when no more gas comes out and the fire doesn't light.

That's one way to know. I'm trying to avoid losing a meal before it gets cooked. Do you know how much an empty 6G capacity tank weighs (in lbs.)?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
A gal of LP will weigh approximately 4.23 lbs...you can guide yourself from there. :)

Have a good one!

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
A quick and simple way to determine the remaining liquid LP in your tank: with your bare hand and starting at the top feel
your way slowly down the bottle; the bottle should (especially in full sunlight) feel hot where there is no liquid LP. Where
there is liquid LP your "feel to the touch" should be at least slightly cooler. This should give you an estimate. There are other ways but this would be the easiest. rgds...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Whats liquid propane??? Gas or what??

If so that's a small tank..... I use 2 big ones on 2 diffrent circuits ( ie 2 kitchens) and switch them round if needed....
As said before, a jauge is the best. U can buy the connect things with incorporated dial for less than 200 pesos.

I store my gas tanks outside the house ( but indoors behind concrete walls). U never know.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Hola everybody. I need help w/the specs for this beauty http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj199/jabejuventus/IMG-20140326-00182_zps83aa1422.jpg. I could not make sense of the engravings on the bottle nor does it have a means for me knowing when I need to refill. I need to know its capacity, wgt when empty, and wgt of cubic measure of propane. Thanks.

I can't tell by the picture it's volume, so I can't tell it's capacity. Nor do I know the BTUs (for example number BTUs/hour) used by your grill, stove, etc..?

Engraved on the side of the tank should be the letters "TW" (Tare Weight) then a number.

This number is the empty tank weigh in pounds.

The only way to accurately measure the propane left in a propane tank is to weigh it. (Bathroom scale)

The total density of propane is 0.493 per cubic meter, at 77 deg F, when converted it will be 4.11 lb.

Propane weighs about 4.1 lbs per US gallon at the above tempature.

Scale weight - TW = remaining pounds remaining.

Each pound of propane contains 21,600 BTUs. So, to find the remaining running time for the grill/stove divide number of BTUs remaining by number of BTUs per hour used by device= hours of run/burn time.

BTUs are provided by the device's manufacturer.

You can calculate capcity. Measure the container that your liquid propane is being stored in with a tape measure. You will need to find the radius of the top portion of the container, as well as the height.

Volume of a cylinder is:
Cylinderr.gif

Last edited:

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
TW stands for Tare Weight

Often this type of container is stamped with most of the info you need to use it.

Look for T.W. is is the weight of the tank empty likely in pounds this is one of the ways the filling station knows when it's full (in N/A) some have a liquid level gauge (LPG spits out when full) so weight is less important.

I think we call that one a 30lbs tank here so 30 + TW = full weight.

Maybe this helps.

ggparts

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i can tell you is that when the flame, even on the highest setting, is low, weak and light (in terms of colour) it is time to fill it up. this is a fairly small tank, about 1/3 of the size of our bottle which cost a bit over 2k pesos to fill. so whoever said 700 pesos was about right.

it will be best to have a motoconcho fill it up for you (if you have a trusted one). pay for the ride, for the gas and a little extra for the job. he will know where to go and what to do.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I can't tell by the picture it's volume, so I can't tell it's capacity. Nor do I know the BTUs (for example number BTUs/hour) used by your grill, stove, etc..?

Engraved on the side of the tank should be the letters "TW" (Tare Weight) then a number.

This number is the empty tank weigh in pounds.

The only way to accurately measure the propane left in a propane tank is to weigh it. (Bathroom scale)

The total density of propane is 0.493 per cubic meter, at 77 deg F, when converted it will be 4.11 lb.

Propane weighs about 4.1 lbs per US gallon at the above tempature.

Scale weight - TW = remaining pounds remaining.

Each pound of propane contains 21,600 BTUs. So, to find the remaining running time for the grill/stove divide number of BTUs remaining by number of BTUs per hour used by device= hours of run/burn time.

BTUs are provided by the device's manufacturer.

You can calculate capcity. Measure the container that your liquid propane is being stored in with a tape measure. You will need to find the radius of the top portion of the container, as well as the height.

Volume of a cylinder is:
Cylinderr.gif

To the best I could make out TW = 23lbs. Current scale wgt = 29.5lbs. Propane in tank - 29.5 - 23 = 6.5lbs. or around 1 1/2 G. Although not perfect cylinder, H = 16", r = 6", so V = 3.14 x 36" x 16". V = 1808.64 cubic inches = 7.8 G.

Although not completely accurate, I have a better idea. Thanks, and thanks to you all for always being relevant. Great ideas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I test my beers and my tanks the same way...... foolproof!

pick up them up and gently swing them in a clockwise circle..... you can feel if any fluid remains at the bottom.

I used to look up into them while holding them upside down to the sun, until I lost an eye

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
when the tank is almost empty the smell of the gas gets stronger when using the stove so we use that as a gauge

altho if you have just filled it & smell gas you have a leak lol

May 29, 2006
Just be sure to buy a solid cable to lock it to something or someone else will be figuring out how much it can carry...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You REALLY need two tanks here in the DR!!!!!!!!
First you don't have to worry about how much "Gas" is left in the tank, or if it will run out in the middle of cooking dinner.
Second, there WILL be times when there is no "GAS" available in the stations, due to,strikes, hurricanes, no supply in the country, I have experienced all 3.
That tank looks to be about 6 gallons.
Another tank of that size will cost about 12 to 1.500 pesos.
Buy One, and sleep tight!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You REALLY need two tanks here in the DR!!!!!!!!
First you don't have to worry about how much "Gas" is left in the tank, or if it will run out in the middle of cooking dinner.
Second, there WILL be times when there is no "GAS" available in the stations, due to,strikes, hurricanes, no supply in the country, I have experienced all 3.
That tank looks to be about 6 gallons.
Another tank of that size will cost about 12 to 1.500 pesos.
Buy One, and sleep tight!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Two at least! We have one giant one connected to the stove, a half-size one for the on demand hot water heater, a half size one for the generator, and a typical small size one that looks like the OP's for our gas BBQ. Just got a second giant one that a cousin wasn't using anymore, haven't filled it yet. If any one of them runs out unexpectedly, we switch it out for one of the others. The big one ran out last week in the middle of cooking, took less than 5 minutes to hook up a spare.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have the 20 gal size.... works the main bedrm hot water and the kitchen hot water and stove.

Like the other Einsteins here, I keep a spare.

One more 20 gal tank for the other 2 bdrms.

the local bomba comes and picksup/delivers for no fee.

The kitch/main bdrm tank goes for about 30 days.

Istill use the 'secret swirl' to check the fill.............

BTW, the clockwise swirl is for righties ---- lefties go counterclockwise
Just to clear any confusion

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
William, "FREE",Except for the "Hidden Fee", of charging for a gallon, or MORE, depending on the size of the Tank!!!!
They know we don't weigh our tanks before, and after filling.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not where I went!
They put the tank on a digital scale, "Zero" the scale, and charge you for only what you buy.
You must be filling in a big city.
We :Farm Boys" wouldn't put up with THAT!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC