Dominican in Halifax Nova Scotia

L

Lorerodri

Hi Dominicans, please share with us your opinions about the city of Halifax, employability, safety, people, etc.

I'll appreciate your comments

Lorerodri
Skype ID: Lorerodri1

LegendaryXD

Sep 28, 2013
It is a safe place. I personally would feel lonely there but that's because I am a city person. Employability depends on the industry but the big one there is fishing lol. The people are just like eastern people but they are very nice!

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Halifax is a city with a population of about 400 000 people. It's not a giant city, but very urban. Fishing is NOT the main industry and hasn't been for many decades. It is a university city with several high ranking schools within its borders -- Dalhouse, St. Mary's, Mount Saint Vincent, Kings, etc. It has a terrific arts scene; food lovers are not disappointed; and there is always something to do. Over and above that, it's still Nova Scotia. That means that even though it's a "big city", the people are still friendly and interested.

Employability will depend a lot on you. Your language skills. Your education. Your experience. The economy is not great right now (outside of the city of Halifax in particular) but there are jobs.

Like all cities, there are less safe areas...I wouldn't walk around by myself after dark on North Street. But, I might elsewhere in the city.

Cosmopolitan but with a friendly flair. That's how I would describe Halifax. I'm a little more than 2 hours north east of there but frequent the city regularly.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Rory get your dory there's herring in the bay.

[video=youtube_share;85-mz8VOroA]http://youtu.be/85-mz8VOroA[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
all provinces east of the St Lawrence have higher unemployment rates..... just a fact, not a social comment

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Just a thought, too...a LOT of people who live in Nova Scotia actually commute to Alberta for work. 3 weeks there, 1 week in NS or other such schedules.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
True Jello.... we have one here in Cabrera
Works a month in the Yukon or someplace (male nurse) in the oilfields and then gets a month here.

They pay for the travel and a HUGE salary.....

Oil pay is big pay..... some like the hours, some don't

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it's pretty bleak.... nice but bleak.

it would be hard to encourage someone to put down roots there.

it is a depressed part of the country, as are the other Maritime provinces.
The gov't puts their call centers there trying to create employment.

Tough place to live, IMO.... lots of ice in winter

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
I found this on the internet...and btw there is a dominican community there. It's small, but mighty. And in rural NS too :)

Top 10 Reasons to Move to Halifax, Nova Scotia

Quality of Life: Halifax (or HRM – Halifax Regional Municipality) ranks high among Canada’s desirable cities to call home. In fact, some would say that Halifax is a bit of a hidden gem! The region offers unparalleled health services, economic securities and affordable housing options. From first time home styles to high end properties to mature adult surroundings, there are many styles, price points and neighbourhoods to choose from. Halifax’s average housing prices are currently below the National average which means it is a great city to invest in.

Neighbourhood Lifestyles: The city offers a wide variety of neighbourhood settings from sophisticated downtown urban lifestyles, to well-planned family style communities to rural country atmospheres. The developed city core provides an assortment of choices from new construction, cozy heritage properties to condo high rises.

Charm: Population is currently under 400,000, a small town feel with a large city presence. Halifax was recently ranked 6th Place in Canada’s Best Places to Live (Moneysense Magazine). There is a variety of sports, arts, festivals, entertainment and fine dining options to choose from. It has 3 major shopping malls with the major brands and national retailer chains. There are a total of 9 Universities and Colleges throughout the city. The presence of so many students helps contribute to a vibrant youth culture in the region. There are public and private school options in English and French.

Employment Destination: Halifax offers a wide variety of employment options from Industry, Technology, Health Services and Government. It is a destination city which offers jobs to a large labour force, educational training and an above average community feel.

Recreation/Vacation: You can stay in town and/or head 60 to 90 minutes in any direction to find incredible beaches, a large selection of camping, boating and cottage destinations. There is recreation for skiing/snowboarding, golf, fishing, biking, kayaking and hiking to name a few.

Four Seasons: Nova Scotia is a full four season destination. Each one offering its own options, charm and appeal. Despite its coastal location, the weather is usually milder or cooler than that of inland Canada with warm summers and mild winters

City of Festivals: Tourism, Conventions and Entertainment are an ongoing part of life in Halifax. A wide variety of festivals take place throughout each year, including The Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo, The Halifax Busker Festival, The Atlantic Film Festival, The Atlantic Fringe Festival, The Atlantic Jazz Festival, Shakespeare by the Sea, periodic Tall Ships event, to name but a few! There is a lot to see and do throughout the year.

Foodies: Nova Scotia’s food scene has long made good use out of its most obvious resource: the Atlantic Ocean. But there’s more here than just excellent fresh seafood. There are a wide variety of eateries, local markets and international food resources. The options are endless and the quality of chefs and locally grown produces is outstanding.

Transportation: HRM is very easy to get around, once you know your way. The urban core of HRM is well served by Metro Transit, which operates a good bus service as well as the pedestrian only harbour ferries connecting downtown Halifax to two locations in Dartmouth. Two suspension bridges link the municipality’s urban core. Halifax Stanfield International Airport is the main airport located 35km (22 miles) outside of downtown Halifax and provides scheduled flights to domestic and international locations.

Roots: Halifax has been a place to call home for many generations. Many transient careers that move into Nova Scotia never leave. The people are friendly; there is a quality of lifestyle and a sense of well-being. Starting a family, building on your career, or retirement living, there are more and more people setting roots in Nova Scotia as opposed to moving on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm sure it is very nice..... but....

I expect London Ontario has a similar piece of good press...
I'm from London and I wouldn't wish that on anyone either.

The Universities offer good employment... London has UWO and a big hospital/medical presence.

At least London is close to other things - Halifax? a bit 'out there' for my taste.

It may suit some people.... I hope it does

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
hahaha WW, I'm not interested in living in Halifax either. I like my small town and a real laid-back lifestyle too much. I am well educated and have a decent career. I'm not trying to sell anyone on Halifax!! The OP was asking questions about Halifax and as happens all too often around here, people answer with opinions without actually giving any information. So, as a Nova Scotian, I knew I actually could provide an answer to this one. Nothing more, nothing less :)

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
Oh Derfish...that's almost as bad as calling a Dominican a Haitian! Right country, right coast, but two very different provinces (Nova Scotia versus Newfoundland) :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hahaha WW, I'm not interested in living in Halifax either. I like my small town and a real laid-back lifestyle too much. I am well educated and have a decent career. I'm not trying to sell anyone on Halifax!! The OP was asking questions about Halifax and as happens all too often around here, people answer with opinions without actually giving any information. So, as a Nova Scotian, I knew I actually could provide an answer to this one. Nothing more, nothing less :)

You gave an excellent answer with what you had.....
just saying the local Chamber of Commerce may have a hand in writing it

The writeup is so glowing and cosmopolitan , you almost forget that it's only 400,000 people.
Sounds a bit like NYC or SFO...

Thats what makes horse racing....

A Dominican could be very happy there - honestly, they could

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fishy --- you'd like N'Land... they eat cod fish tongues by the bowlful...
they talk funny, they walk funny they're considered odd by the rest of Canada.

They set their watches differently.... no time zone for them --- they're 30 minutes out of step

the news:

Good evening, its 6pm, 6:30 in Newfoundland....

seriously, 1/2 hr off and they like it that way

they drink a rum called 'Screech'... and like it too....lots of it!!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I am from Nova Scotia (2 hours from Halifax) and lived right in Halifax for about 6 years before moving here. Great city! A few universities there so quite a large younger population (18 - 30) right in the city, with more families living on the outskirts. About 500 000 people which felt big enough to me as I was from a town of 2000. People are great - very friendly and welcoming. Very safe in most parts of the city, especially compared to most larger cities. As mentioned above, there are some rougher parts but no where that I was worried about venturing to in the day time when I lived there. Small enough that you often bump into people you know when out and about. Nice waterfront area. Unfortunately not tons of jobs available at the moment, but it really depends what you do and what your skills are. Some industries obviously have more jobs available than others. I still have friends and family there in the city and visit most years (was back in August). Happy to answer any questions you may have, if I can. It is a really great city which I loved for the time I spent there and still love to visit! :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The Bay of Fundy tides are among of the great natural wonders of the world.

[video=youtube_share;OP0cpXpw8yk]http://youtu.be/OP0cpXpw8yk[/video]