Apple "Critical Update" = Trip to Mac store in SD

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday afternoon a pop-up on my MacBook Pro said something like "Critical IOS Update", so I sighed and clicked. Had to restart machine to install, did that. Installation began - blue bar got to the end - and that was it. Wouldn't complete, couldn't turn off, screen frozen.

So this morning we went to the Mac store in Novocentro on Churchill in SD, my first time there. Since I'm accustomed to the huge Apple stores in NJ, where you wait because there is a mob ahead of you, imagine my surprise when I walked in and found myself alone in the store, with 3 guys behind the counter smiling hello. I asked if anyone spoke English, and they all said yes. Started telling the guy on the end what happened, and he held up his hand to stop me - told me that the exact same thing happened to his MacBook Pro last night when he upgraded, and he could fix it. Which he did.

While I was there I told him I was having trouble with the power cord, had to "play" with it before it would charge the computer. No problem, they replaced it for free [apparently the serial # of your computer is all they need to verify Apple Care anywhere in the world]. When he looked at the old cord, he asked me if I lived near the ocean - and I said yes, in both countries. He showed me a blue build-up/film on the plug, and inside where it plugs into the laptop. Says it from the salt in the air. Recommended a use a dry toothbrush every month or so to clean both places.

All in all, was a very positive experience, Apple is always easy but SD was a walk in the park.

Left there and went to meet Cobraboy and his wife for lunch, to pick up some of their fabulous coffee. A good day.

Moral of the story: DON'T click on that critical update, give Apple a week or so to sort whatever is wrong with it!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
BTW, mauricio - I mentioned about the 'zaps' I was getting from the laptop, like you were. He says that's from not being plugged into a grounded outlet......and is also bad for the computer.

Calling electrician tomorrow

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AppleCare is a beautiful thing. I have had an almost 2yr old laptop replaced no questions asked in Santo Domingo. The motherboard was fried, my fault. They didn't bat an eyelid, gave me a new laptop, which was an upgrade in my case :)

Just brought a shiny new 21.5" iMac today here in Colombia, cheaper than the UK and and almost the exact same price you pay at an Apple store in the USA (US$1,299.00) for the same spec model.
Actually it worked out slightly cheaper due to the exchange rate :)

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Very good experience!

I had my power cord changed at the mac service provider in Agora Mall, but had to leave my damaged cord with them, which thy would send to the USA to receive a new one back. They did lend me an old cord though.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Very good experience!

I had my power cord changed at the mac service provider in Agora Mall, but had to leave my damaged cord with them, which thy would send to the USA to receive a new one back. They did lend me an old cord though.

At first they wanted me to leave the power cord, said it would take 2 weeks to get a new one in. They didn't have a spare, so I said forget it, I'd get the replacement in May in NJ. Then he checked his inventory, and he did have a new one - he had ordered it in the last time this happened to someone, so I was in luck.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Moral of the story: DON'T click on that critical update, give Apple a week or so to sort whatever is wrong with it!!!

Thank you for this post. I was about to click on the update today. Also i'm happy to hear that the people with Apple Care are not experiencing any issues for service.

Dang I love working on projects while sitting on my balcony. So now I have to work inside with the windows closed?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thank you for this post. I was about to click on the update today. Also i'm happy to hear that the people with Apple Care are not experiencing any issues for service.

Dang I love working on projects while sitting on my balcony. So now I have to work inside with the windows closed?

I wouldn't go inside - just keep an old dry toothbrush around and keep both terminals clean, you should be fine according to him!