Dominican republic to pull half-a-million guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Dominican Republic to pull half-a-million guns to trim murders

Santo Domingo.- Dominican Republic seeks a nationwide disarmament based on the success by Brazil, which pulled half a million guns from the streets four years ago, to combat the high homicide rate, the Economy Ministry announced Wednesday.

The project, adapted to Dominican Republic?s reality, is coordinated by the Vice Ministry for International Cooperation and partial funding from the Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC).

The "Transfer of methodology to reduce the number of weapons and ammunition from the civilian population" aims to strengthen the Dominican Government?s policy against crime.

This measure is a mandate of the first order as part of the National Development Strategy on the "rule of the law and public safety," said the Economy Ministry in a statement.

A delegation of Dominican police and judiciary officials that participated in the first activity was in Brazil for the elaboration and implementation of the plan.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...c-to-pull-half-a-million-guns-to-trim-murders

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
next news item: people don't feel safe no more without their arma because ladrones are just killing it out there!

news item after that: people have been given back their arma!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Be on the look out for discounts on machetes at your nearest ferreteria.... soon!:D

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Pffff politician fantasy...........

#1. If Brazil, which is a teeneey weeny bit more populated than the dr, pilled half a million of the street........

#2. It is not clear if we are talking about legal or illegal guns. Who is going to hand over their legal guns? Not me.
Who is going to hand over their illegal guns ( especially if there is a risk of Them taking my legal one)??? Not me either!!!

I am not a gun fanatic, never owned one before dr ( sounds religious :laugh:). But guns dont kill, people do!!!!

It would be intresting to see the statistics for the dr for people killed by guns legal/illegal.
Strangely for an island, it is relativly easy to aquire an illegal gun..... ( I have seen homemade guns and shotguns, could u believe......).

Aug 6, 2006
Guns for money programs actually do work. People die and leave their guns behind (they couldn't take them with them), and the heirs sell them for money. Fewer guns are left out on the street. No one proved that anyone in Broward County was stealing guns to sell to the cops in any large numbers. In any case, the result was fewer guns that could be used in crime, so this was not a failure.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Big difference. Brazil not only uses the gunz, they makes the gunz. I've owned both Taurus and Rossi handguns. The DR can simply stop the import of handguns and solve most of their gun problem.

Setting strict handgun ownership criteria, including attaching responsibility to the registered owner for handguns used in crimes would be the more balanced approach. If you can't afford a gun safe, you can't afford a gun. Setting quality standards for guns should also be a priority. BTW, the Rossi model 720, 3" .44SPL D/A is the most inaccurate handgun I've ever fired. I got a 9" spread at 50' from a vice with that POS. I don't blame Brazil for wanting them out of the country.

The D.R. gun problem isn't about guns, it's about drugs and general thuggery among an undisciplined generation not unlike in many other countries. Don't put them in jail, sign them up and loan them out to NATO. At least when they get back home they'll be able to shoot straight.

Manufacturers / Countries that Dominate the U.S. Firearms Market

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The D.R. gun problem isn't about guns

i kinda agree. the problem is not guns per se but the morons who own guns. and this is partly morons who do not know how to safely store guns (hence already this year few kids who shot themselves accidentally) but mostly morons who use their guns in attacks, robberies and killings.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
i kinda agree. the problem is not guns per se but the morons who own guns. and this is partly morons who do not know how to safely store guns (hence already this year few kids who shot themselves accidentally) but mostly morons who use their guns in attacks, robberies and killings.

Officially label them co-conspirators or accomplices and it will stop.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Feel good propaganda, "look how innovative and cutting edge we are" in addressing crime. If a stick up guy or bad guy wants a gun he's going to get one. There is absolutely no concrete evidence indicating that this tactic lowers crime. Most of the guns that are turned in for cash are old guns that law abiding people turn in for coin.
What does work is putting and keeping repeat violent offenders in jail until they cant get it up. Most of the public in the North East U.S does not have the stomach for this however.

Aug 6, 2006
Feel good propaganda, "look how innovative and cutting edge we are" in addressing crime. If a stick up guy or bad guy wants a gun he's going to get one. There is absolutely no concrete evidence indicating that this tactic lowers crime. Most of the guns that are turned in for cash are old guns that law abiding people turn in for coin.
What does work is putting and keeping repeat violent offenders in jail until they cant get it up. Most of the public in the North East U.S does not have the stomach for this however.
=====================================================================
In Japan, there are very few crimes involving guns compared to the US. This is because guns are not readily available. It is a FACT that the fewer guns there are, the fewer gun crimes will occur.

The US has already a higher percentage of its population locked up than any other country, even Russia and China. Locking people us is very expensive. There needs to be a different approach to crime than merely locking people up forever. The US should study what works in Europe, where there is far less violent crime.

There are way too many guns in the US for gun crimes to be reduced by any short term program to buy guns or to wait for guns to be used in a crime so they can be confiscated. This is much less the case in the DR.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
In Japan, there are very few crimes involving guns compared to the US. This is because guns are not readily available. It is a FACT that the fewer guns there are, the fewer gun crimes will occur.

The US has already a higher percentage of its population locked up than any other country, even Russia and China. Locking people us is very expensive. There needs to be a different approach to crime than merely locking people up forever. The US should study what works in Europe, where there is far less violent crime.

There are way too many guns in the US for gun crimes to be reduced by any short term program to buy guns or to wait for guns to be used in a crime so they can be confiscated. This is much less the case in the DR.

The reason that Japan has few crimes is because of their culture and not because of lesser guns

Aug 6, 2006
The reason that Japan has few crimes is because of their culture and not because of lesser guns

The reason Japan has fewer guns is that Japanese culture realizes that more lenient gun laws man that more people will be shot. Spain and most of Europe also have stricter gun laws and there also, many, many fewer people get shot.

If there are ZERO guns, no one gets shot. This explains why Jesus was unable to draw his trusty Roscoe and blast away at Poncho Piloto. The number of shootings increases with the number of guns.

Morons with guns are a threat to everyone. I recall once being with some morons who were both drunk and unable to find the key to the lock on a shed, in which there was a cooler, useful in buying more beer. An Alpha Moron got his trusty 45 and decided to shoot the lock off. The Moron Family clustered around to get a better look. I retreated to across the street. Shots rang out, two people were wounded and the lock stayed firmly in place, despite being shot at point blank range. Contrary to popular belief, a pistol is a poor substitute for a key, except in the movies. In the movies, all locks come right off when shot, and bad guys cannot hit anyone even with a machine gun. The Laws of Physics do not apply in front of a camera.

In addition to morons using guns, there is also the problem of morons leaving their guns out for moronitos to play with. This results in many deceased moronitos, some of whom might have grown up to become intelligent.

But the US is in the thralls of the NMA (National Moron Association) a group which is dedicated to prove that the Darwin Effect is based on reality, rather than mere theory. This would be like a self-cleaning oven and salutatory except that there are many sane people who also are trying to stay alive in the presence of gun-totin' morons, some of whom are really poor shots.

We could perhaps deal with all the guns in the US if we would adopt the regulations used by the Swiss, who have lots of guns and where few get shot despite it. But the NMA opposes such laws, sanity not being one of their stronger points.

I am not advocating confiscating guns in the US. I do not think it will be possible to change the laws, either. However, I observe that the state with the fewest gun deaths is Hawaii, which is like the DR in that it is surrounded by water and people arriving find it difficult to import guns, so there are fewer of them. Hence, fewer Hawaiians get shot.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I get that the dr still has lots of secrets for u..........

In most places, like japan and switzerland, if threatened, one can call the 17 on any phone, without a pin code, and guess what, authorities will help u!!!!! They can even trace ure call, can u believe!!!

The emergency number in the dr set up a couple of years ago, no wait last year, no wait next month, no wait never......
And even if somehow u did manage to call the PN, while besieged in ure house by machete wielding tigres, u better have the means of wiring some pesos so the PN can fill the tank with petrol. And it only works during the day, cos in the campo after night fall, PN hardly leave their lair ( dont blame rhem....).
So IF it is day time, and IF u have the number for the local PN shack, and IF they have run out of rhum, and IF the PN think u have the means of paying the service, than they just might save u.
Or not.
Especially if one of the tiguere is the novio of la prima of the local captain......or the tiguers and the PN just might split the loot. Or the tigures just might be PN..........

Lots of IF's and OR's. Too many in fact to stop being a gun toting moron, thank you very much........

If there are ZERO guns nobody gets shot...... is that some kind of mathematical formula or something......
If there are ZERO cars, buses, motorbikes, nobody dies in road accidents........
If there are ZERO machetes, nobody gets cut up.........
If there are ZERO bricks, nobody gets their head caved in by a brick..........

Sooooooooo, the day there's ZERO guns in the dr (the real one not the virtual one ) AND an efficient Police force, maybe I ll give up my guns.
But maybe not cos of course since I own a gun I must be a moron.........( and of course I come from switzerland where every odd household has a gun or 2, but people dont shoot each other very often. So perhaps the solution is in the morons, with or without guns.......).

May 12, 2005

So few people in China are in jail because China just simply executes most criminals. Dead perps need no jail cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.