Tourism to Increase in 2014

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Tourism to increase by 8% in 2014

Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia is forecasting an 8% increase in tourism to the Dominican Republic in 2014. During a speech yesterday, Wednesday 26 March during the opening ceremony of the Dominican Annual Tourism Exchange (DATE) in Punta Cana, organized by the National Association of Hotels and Restaurants (Asonahores), the minister said that 2014 had got off to a great start. He forecast an "extraordinary" year for the industry. Garcia attributed part of this success to the Ministry of Tourism's advertising campaign overseas.

Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service

I wonder where in the DR they are going to have the increase, certainly not here in Boca Chica.
Love the name of the association ;)
And talking about slapping yourself on the back!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Well, from what I've seen most of the Americans whom I know that have been to Punta Cana can't even pronounce it correctly and will be paying for their vacations there for the next 5 years. Meanwhile the Americans whom I know that have been to Aruba and St. Barts paid cash.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Increasing tourism versus decreasing tourism, , , , , , , let me see????????? Why the cynicism???? Increased tourism, no matter where in the country, is a plus in general. Good work cb.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Purely unscientific but so far this season has seemed busier in PC/Bavaro. Just now starting to slow down.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Tourism is like any other kind of business. It's a process. You don't change the direction of an industry overnight just like you don't change the direction of a large company overnight. It takes time and making the right moves.

So what are you people saying, that they shouldn't advertise overseas? That they shouldn't make predictions of growth?
Should they stop doing everything? Every little ounce of success that they have, creates work. I see jobs being created on the North Coast right now, due to present and future tourism. How is that worthy of criticism?

Aug 6, 2006
Why do you say that?

Because claiming that one can predict the future is beyond normal human abilities.
Calling the name "Asonahores" super cool was actually intended to be satirical.

The US Navy is hard to beat for silly-sounding abbreviations.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Increasing tourism versus decreasing tourism, , , , , , , let me see????????? Why the cynicism???? Increased tourism, no matter where in the country, is a plus in general. Good work cb.

that is a blanket statement that has to be examined more closely. if the increase in tourist footfall is not matched by a corresponding increase in carrying capacity, you get Puerto Plata. if you examine most popular tourist destinations, and look at their histories, you will find that they were first discovered by adventurous people, then they became developed, and stabilized. the mass tourism came later down the line. a look at the tourism life cycle expounded by Butler shows that the decline of tourist destinations is usually occasioned by overstressing the carrying capacity, at which time the concept of diminishing returns begins to set in. overspecialization in tourism is a dangerous economic development model, because it is very dependent upon world economic conditions, and since profit margins are razor thin, a minor falloff in footfall, in single digits, can ravage the returns on investment. it is not a very good idea to build a dependency upon a seasonal business such as tourism, because it also generates a high degree of cyclical unemployment, which further stresses the economy.

the potential for tourism expansion is there, in spades. any temptation to try to get as many heads in the beds has to be tempered with the understanding of the negative externalities.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know whether tourism will increase 8% this year (it was still less than 5 MM last year overall), but I can say that the DATE party yesterday at Barcelo Bavaro was a huge, huge, huuuuge blast :) As every year, Barcelo surpasses the other hotel's party by a mile (two hotels always organize reception). I go to DATE to see what's going on in tourism every year (you kinda get to know lots of people but now it's same faces over and over), but also for the parties :)

Feb 7, 2007
Oh... and I forgot to add... we will have a Dominican charter airline, based out of SDQ with an A320, the country's first "real" airline. Theya re already set up and awaiting AOC, they had a booth at DATE and I chatter for over half an hour with their Islandian project manager for "Dominican Wings". Nice guy and the company seems stable (they were doing ACMI for WOW air from Island for over 2 years). They will do charters for travel agencies and also ACMI. They already announced the first charter route, Buenos Aires to Puerto Plata, starting this summer. Once a week flight ... (but.. I would not want to spend all that travel time in one of their 180 slimline HD seats...)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
that is a blanket statement that has to be examined more closely. if the increase in tourist footfall is not matched by a corresponding increase in carrying capacity, you get Puerto Plata. if you examine most popular tourist destinations, and look at their histories, you will find that they were first discovered by adventurous people, then they became developed, and stabilized. the mass tourism came later down the line. a look at the tourism life cycle expounded by Butler shows that the decline of tourist destinations is usually occasioned by overstressing the carrying capacity, at which time the concept of diminishing returns begins to set in. overspecialization in tourism is a dangerous economic development model, because it is very dependent upon world economic conditions, and since profit margins are razor thin, a minor falloff in footfall, in single digits, can ravage the returns on investment. it is not a very good idea to build a dependency upon a seasonal business such as tourism, because it also generates a high degree of cyclical unemployment, which further stresses the economy.

the potential for tourism expansion is there, in spades. any temptation to try to get as many heads in the beds has to be tempered with the understanding of the negative externalities.

Gorgon, That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out objection....Over ruled.

my cousin vinny lucid well thought out... - YouTube

Feb 7, 2007
Gorgon, that sounds like a paragraph from Leisure Travel: A Marketing Handbook by Plog. I agree with you on that 100%

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The gorgon is right !!! The statement does need to be examined more closely especially for the North Coast.If you look at February 2013 versa February 2014 there was a 2.4 % drop in tourists to the North Coast. Year to date there has been a 1.2% drop in 2014 versa 2013 for the North Coast 2014 111791 versa 113106 in 2013. The decrease is in POP arrivals and there is an increase in STI arrivals. Perhaps there is a lesson there!

Olly and the Team

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Oh... and I forgot to add... we will have a Dominican charter airline, based out of SDQ with an A320, the country's first "real" airline. Theya re already set up and awaiting AOC, they had a booth at DATE and I chatter for over half an hour with their Islandian project manager for "Dominican Wings". Nice guy and the company seems stable (they were doing ACMI for WOW air from Island for over 2 years). They will do charters for travel agencies and also ACMI. They already announced the first charter route, Buenos Aires to Puerto Plata, starting this summer. Once a week flight ... (but.. I would not want to spend all that travel time in one of their 180 slimline HD seats...)

A Dominican charter airline........Where do I sign up to get one of the first tickets...........not

Feb 7, 2007
A Dominican charter airline........Where do I sign up to get one of the first tickets...........not

It will be the foreign tourists flying, not Dominicans. So you are out of luck.

And btw what is your problem? The airline will be run by a reputable company
Line maintenance will be done by their own maintenance team brought in from Europe. Base maintenance for B and eventual C checks will be done in Canada in Montreal, maybe they will also do it in Miami, there are two facilities there. So again, what's the problem?

ROUTES AMERICAS: Avion Express to Establish Dominican Wings in Americas Market :: Routesonline

http://www.flyavex.com/

Last edited: