Chikungunya Virus - Dominican republic under alert

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Country under alert on possible CHIKUNGUNYA fever outbreak

Santo Domingo.- Health minister Freddy Hidalgo on Wednesday warned that the country is under a heightened alert from a possible outbreak of chikungunya fever.

He said since it?s possible the fever is already in the national territory, the Health Ministry?s epidemiology measures have been in since January, when several Caribbean islands reported the spread of the virus.

Hidalgo said in cases detected in San Crist?bal (south) and San Pedro (east) public health has bolstered prevention and control measures, according to Pan-American Health Organization guidelines. "The epidemiological investigations? preliminary results show a clinical pattern similar to infection by the chikungunya virus, but this Ministry awaits the laboratory results for confirmation."

In said a press conference at the Public Health Ministry, the official added that the chikungunya virus is spread by the Aedes aegypti, mosquito, the same one which causes dengue, and characterized by fever followed by severe joint and muscular pain.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...-alert-on-possible-chikungunya-fever-outbreak

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Never heard of this before in my life...I tell ya, ya learn something new everyday! Be safe people!!!! :)

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
Chikungunya virus prevention measures announced
Minister of Public Health Freddy Hidalgo has announced that the Chikungunya virus is now in the country. The disease is flu-like but less virulent than dengue.

He said that hundreds of fever cases have been reported in Nagua, San Cristobal and San Pedro de Macoris that show all the signs of the disease.

He said that they are doing all the necessary research and testing and hope to be able to confirm whether it is the virus or not today, Wednesday 26 March.

The chikungunya virus is transmitted by the same mosquito as dengue, with similar symptoms, but the fever and the pain are less intense. There is no vaccination. The symptoms are fever, rash, fatigue and vomiting as well as muscular pain, which can last weeks in severe cases.

Measures for preventing chikungunya virus infection include the use of insect repellent, protective clothing, and staying in areas with screens in order to avoid being bitten by the virus-carrying vector.

El Caribe ? Salud P?blica sospecha que en el pa?s hay casos de fiebre Chikungunya

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All the off-topic posts have been removed.

Don't bother adding anymore that don't refer to the disease.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Public Health confirms presence of chikungunya virus

Santo Domingo.- Public Health minister Freddy Hidalgo confirmed Friday a chikungunya virus outbreak in San Cristobal (south), backed by an antivirus lab report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

He said blood samples from people with fever and sharp aches in joints sent to the CDC tested positive for the chikungunya virus.

The official said measures to prevent and contain outbreaks of the disease transmitted by mosquitoes have been implemented nationwide.

Hidalgo said people can help eliminate the mosquito?s breeding sites by adding chlorine to water and the walls of tanks or other containers and cover them tightly.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...Health-confirms-presence-of-chikungunya-virus

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Health authorities concerned about chikungunya outbreak

Santo Domingo.– Public Health minister Freddy Hidalgo said technicians, support personnel, health promoters and epidemiologists will be working around the country during the next days in order to prevent and fumigate against the chikungunya virus outbreak.

The government’s Hydroelectric Utility (Egehid) and the San Cristobal province authorities will conduct a campaign to fumigate and eliminate deposits of mosquitoes in Nigua and other communities affected by the outbreak.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...horities-concerned-about-chikungunya-outbreak

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i feel that this is all a cover up. there have been few articles about this in national newspapers, panicking about more cases of fever around the country. the focus is therefore shifting from dengue, and the fact it already claimed 11 lives this year.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Aedes Aegypti Mosquito Very small and black with white spotted legs. You need a magnifying glass to identify it. Ranges around 100 meters from the stagnant water or mud where it breeds.

Same little mosquito that spreads Dengue. Same prevention measures. See info and pic here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv" is right again!
Why would you make a "Big Deal" about this "New Malady" which doesn't kill you, when you need to worry about "Dengue" which can kill you, and both are spread by the same mosquito????
"Dog & Pony" from the DR minister!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Aedes Aegypti Mosquito Very small and black with white spotted legs. You need a magnifying glass to identify it.

you can easily see it with a naked eye. at least i can, but i am shortsighted so i see stuff up close very well. we have those little f**kers at home, this i know. to my big surprise there were two session of fumigation here in costambar in the last weeks. looks like dengue is not letting go...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'll,"Get Naked" next time I want to see one!
Thanks for your tip "dv"!
You can see a LOT of Things better when naked!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Please post a "Selfie" of you spotting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lick::lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
SWEET JESUS! INFECTIONS ARE JUST THAT, EITHER ITS A BACTERIA, PARASITE OR FUNGUS PERIOD! IF ANYONE FEELS THEY HAVE SOMETHING PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING, NO JOKE!!

1-DOXYCYLINE: THIS ALSO KILLS ALL 3, ITS THE BEST KIND OF SO CALLED PENICILLIN ON THE MARKET TODAY! IF YOU HAVE ANY ALLERGIES THEN CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR!!!!

2- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: MUST BE MADE BY BRAGS AND IT SAYS WITH MOTHER ON THE LABEL. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Organic Raw -- 32 fl oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

SOME INFO ON IT...ITS 100% FACT! IT CURES MANY THINGS, KILLS BACTERIA PARASITES AND FUNGUS! DOSAGE?? USUALLY 2 TEASPOONS TO 1- 8 OZ GLASS OF WATER 3 TIMES A DAY FOREVER IF YOU LIKE..

May 29, 2006
There are numerous mosquito borne diseases in the DR. This doesn't sound any worse than Dengue fever. There have been very effective campaigns against mosquitoes in other countries, most of which worked to eliminate breeding spots. Spraying alone simply doesn't work, getting rid of used tires and other garbage does.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
skynet, those are viral diseases, not bacterial. there is no treatment other than dealing with the symptoms...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Dv8, due respect to you as always, reason why i suggested doxy and acv...fight those symptoms and kill the viruses unbeknown to the stupid doctors here...

A few months ago i had to advise a cancer doctor about sodium bicarbonate, come on!!! Over all, when your a bird owner you learn about such viruses..pox is one that pigeons carry, and i tell you, its been gone now for 2 years...i have one as a pet since only 2 weeks of age, rescued him in sd and picked up pox which is very rare the bird would survive..acv and doxy!! Trust the avc 100% its the miracle of miracles but it must be brags with mother...

Thanks 8 for keeping things real, glad you called me on this so i could explain a little more..

Ant

skynet, those are viral diseases, not bacterial. There is no treatment other than dealing with the symptoms...