Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas Water Heater

Explain to me the gas water heater. I need to buy a water heater and someone suggested a gas one. Does that mean you have to have a gas tank in the house? Beside the heater?

The problem we have with the electric water heater....besides a huge electric bill, is that with 2 kids showering, and one 3 year-old bathing by the time Mommy wants to shower she has to wait another 2 hours for hot water. And we usually have to wait at least 30 minutes between each kids' shower or bath because after the 10 minutes the water starts getting tepid again.

I hear that the water never stops being hot with the gas water heater but I am not a fan of having a gas tank in my house.

Anyone know about this?

SHALENA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

tank goes outside.... on demand hot water heaters

Google them and search DR1 -- mucho hablando here... not costly

https://www.google.ca/search?q=on+de...m=122&ie=UTF-8

3. Likes SKing liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On demand hot water

Your probably talking about an on-demand gas water heater which is exactly what I installed in my apartment.
    These run on propane. Essentially you turn on the hot water which kicks the heater on (pizo electric) and whalla you have hot water some 15 seconds afterwards.........continuous....... I bought an "Ecotemp" from the US, along with a small 12 volt water pump for $167.00 plus shipping to the DR. Have been using on the same 40 lb propane tank for the last year and it works wonderfully. Only elec. you will use is to keep a small battery charged to run the 12 volt water pump that ups the pressure to make the system work.

If you use propane to cook with then you should be able to use propane for this system to work.

Karlheinz

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Explain to me the gas water heater. I need to buy a water heater and someone suggested a gas one. Does that mean you have to have a gas tank in the house? Beside the heater?

The problem we have with the electric water heater....besides a huge electric bill, is that with 2 kids showering, and one 3 year-old bathing by the time Mommy wants to shower she has to wait another 2 hours for hot water. And we usually have to wait at least 30 minutes between each kids' shower or bath because after the 10 minutes the water starts getting tepid again.

I hear that the water never stops being hot with the gas water heater but I am not a fan of having a gas tank in my house.

Anyone know about this?

SHALENA

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think those are what I'm looking for as they are tankless and require plumbing. This is a rented house so I don't want to invest in alot of plumbing changes. I'll google the ones with tank. Thanks

SHALENA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the tank is on the outside, just like kitchen gas tank. i would just suggest that you get two gas bottles. this way you can have gun all the time. when one bottle is empty you connect the other one (one move of the valve) and take and empty tank to be filled up when you have a moment. very neat.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlheinz View Post
    Your probably talking about an on-demand gas water heater which is exactly what I installed in my apartment.
    These run on propane. Essentially you turn on the hot water which kicks the heater on (pizo electric) and whalla you have hot water some 15 seconds afterwards.........continuous....... I bought an "Ecotemp" from the US, along with a small 12 volt water pump for $167.00 plus shipping to the DR. Have been using on the same 40 lb propane tank for the last year and it works wonderfully. Only elec. you will use is to keep a small battery charged to run the 12 volt water pump that ups the pressure to make the system work.

If you use propane to cook with then you should be able to use propane for this system to work.

Karlheinz
    This sounds like it. Did you install it yourself? Do you have the name of the one you bought?

SHALENA

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks for all the info. I will go to Ochoa or Bellon when I get home and hopefully they will have some.

Anyone know how much I should expect to pay for installation? Is the installation a big job?

SHALENA

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My ignition system is 2 "D" batteries inside the unit...............

sadly, the only "D"'s in the house

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the same thing Shalena - on-demand propane hot water heater. We've had it for 3 years, not one problem, my husband installed it himself [but he's very handy], and we're still on the SAME propane tank. Granted, only two of us most of the time, and we're not here 12 months a year, but still. Runs on the propane and a couple of "D" batteries. As long as there is gas in the tank, you have non-stop hot water.

We don't have the extra pump that Karl has, but it sounds like a good idea.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    We have the same thing Shalena - on-demand propane hot water heater. We've had it for 3 years, not one problem, my husband installed it himself [but he's very handy], and we're still on the SAME propane tank. Granted, only two of us most of the time, and we're not here 12 months a year, but still. Runs on the propane and a couple of "D" batteries. As long as there is gas in the tank, you have non-stop hot water.

We don't have the extra pump that Karl has, but it sounds like a good idea.
    Did you all buy yours in DR?

SHALENA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast