Security Cameras. Do it yourself? Or?

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Need some direction. Looking for security cameras that tie into a cloud system. Not the typical hard wired to a box that someone can steal, destroy, mutilate...Anyone bought or had such a system installed lately? Want to view remotely while in US or store for later.

Have had small things come up gone...and my doggie has gotten into Tres Pasitos twice it appears. Seems to not so accidental at this point... just prefer to see what is going on...

Recommendations? Ideas? I did look at prior posts and sent a few emails.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I bought some for around 250 bucks online with 8 cameras and 500gb hard drive. Viewable on your phone, computer, ipad etc. They work awesome and puts a lot of people off. Had a lot of interest whilst I was putting them on the front of my place - after my mirrors were stolen off my car - been good so far...

I am not sure if you can set them up to record online though...

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Think about getting NVR (network video recorder), not old DVRs. It is more expensive though, but you can connect your cameras to your home router (with ethernet cable or wirelessly) and hide the NVR unit in some not easy to locate place - no cables needed for NVR, you can connect it wirelessly to your router too. Thus, since there are no visible cables, it will be difficult to locate it and destroy the evidence (robbers, fire, etc.). You do not even need internet to get all your cameras and NVR working. Just wireless router.
There are always problems with viewing cameras over the internet here in DR. Internet is terribly slow - you will need good upload speed, not download - your cameras/DVR/NVR need upload bandwidth. DeLancer with their habit of blocking ports and 1 public IP address for thousands of customers - is a "NO-NO!" for the cameras.
Store the videofiles on your local network, and hide all your cables from the cameras to DVR. Again, if you don't care for extra $50-$100 for the NVR, and $40-$60 difference for network cameras - get them. They are safer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you could buy the cameras in the USA and have someone install the whole system for you. even with wireless internet connection you still have wires plugging cameras to the power source and trust me, the installation can get messy with drilling, running cables along walls/ceilings and so on. it can be a lot of work so if you are looking to secure larger area it will be better to have someone do it for you.

as bred said, you will need a lot of upload to "report" to cloud. so it means good and stable internet connection if you want to stay with this idea.

i know a great team in santiago who worked on our house and several properties in POP. they will travel anywhere in the country. not cheap but trustworthy which stands for something.

Wegman

Aug 31, 2014
Hi DV8 Can you provide me with the information on how to reach the team in Santiago you mention? Also what cameras and system do you recommend. I live in the states but I am in Las Terrenas part of the year and would love some help with this. thanks.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Need some direction. Looking for security cameras that tie into a cloud system. Not the typical hard wired to a box that someone can steal, destroy, mutilate...Anyone bought or had such a system installed lately? Want to view remotely while in US or store for later.

Have had small things come up gone...and my doggie has gotten into Tres Pasitos twice it appears. Seems to not so accidental at this point... just prefer to see what is going on...

Recommendations? Ideas? I did look at prior posts and sent a few emails.

Sorry, wrong pic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You can avoid trying to bore through concrete walls, etc., by using WiFi Enabled Cameras and recorders. There is a site on the net called smarthome.com that his a nice selection of these type cameras and recorders.

And you provide them with power without boring through a wall to get to the AC connection? Most of them use an AC/DC wall wart that still needs to be plugged in somewhere out of the weather. I would be happy to hear of ones that don't need any boring through walls and also have sufficient signal power to go through up to three concrete/rebar walls.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And you provide them with power without boring through a wall to get to the AC connection? Most of them use an AC/DC wall wart that still needs to be plugged in somewhere out of the weather. I would be happy to hear of ones that don't need any boring through walls and also have sufficient signal power to go through up to three concrete/rebar walls.

We had to do an amazing amount of drilling in the old school to install 16 cameras, and they had to be hardwired. System works well though and my brother-in-law has them all on his phone using ASee software, and we have a monitor in the school and at home.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
If you're using Wifi cameras you need a strong router that will get signal to all cameras. That can run you $100+ depending on the area you need to cover.

There are lots of phone or computer applications in which you can connect to view what's going on on the cameras.

The normal cameras (600TVL) are about 1.3MP with decent sensors aren't the greatest quality but that is standard. In day light they're fine but you might not be able to make out faces at night.

I ordered these for a friend ( Amazon.com : SDC-5340BCD Pack of (4) Samsung IR Weatherproof Bullet Cameras SDC-5340BC with cables : Security And Surveillance Products : Camera & Photo ) here is a sample image I just took from my phone connected to the camera.

iX9wJUu.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hi DV8 Can you provide me with the information on how to reach the team in Santiago you mention? Also what cameras and system do you recommend. I live in the states but I am in Las Terrenas part of the year and would love some help with this. thanks.

here you go:

we used a guy from santiago to do our system. not the cheapest but trustworthy. and you cannot put a price on that. jv&c soluciones electronicas.
name is eriel vargas, 809 649 5616 or 809 416 0677 or 829 429 6985. email is eriel24v@hotmail.com
cameras, alarms, sensors, full setups.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
any remote mini 's around yet....i bought a tiny cam years ago and paid highly...worth every penny...but wondering if they are availble wireless....ex...nannny cams