How I De-Slimed My Pool

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Camp Moto has a nice pool, approx. 12,500 gallons, supported by a poorly designed sand filtration system. We had a problem when we first moved in that required new sand in the filter. I believe the sand used was construction sand and not filtration sand, because we've had problems ever since, even if the chemicals are in balance and the filter runs several hours a day.

Two months ago the pump motor froze and it took two weeks to finally get it repaired and reinstalled. In that time we had a major algae bloom that even dumping gallons of chlorine and algae killer wouldn't kill without circulation.

Since then it's been hell trying to get the water clean and algae gone. The filter would not remove the algae because the algae particles are much too small. Sweeping and vacuuming just made the water cloudy, and when the pump was turned off for a while, a layer of yellow/brown slime would lay on every horizontal surface. Even vacuuming to waste had limited effectiveness.

Research led me to a product called SlimeBag which is a 7"x32" 1micron depth filter that attaches to the water outlets in the pool with specialized PVC fittings. It is suggested that half the outlets have one of these bags. The cost of four is around $300.

YIKES!

But let me state that I have no doubt SlimeBags, a trademarked product, is a quality, effective product. But I'm just too cheap to spend that kind of money without figuring out another way.

So I decided to go the DIY route.

I purchased 5 #2 1 micron 7" x 32" polyester felt diesel fuel filter bags from DudaDiesel on Ebay, under $40 shipped to my Miami freight forwarder.

POGP2S_ID1979-L.jpg

I ordered 10 2.25-3.25" SS hose clamps for $8. By the time all is shipped to the DR, I'll have spent $55.

Rather than fuss with PVC adapters, I'll simply cut the ring from the top of each bag, and cut tabs 1.5" from the top. I'll then simply neatly bunch the bag around each of return fittings that stick out about 5/8-3/4" into the pool, and secure them tightly with the SS hose clamps. I'll then shut off the other 4 returns.

So for under $55, I'll have efficient "slime" filters on 4 returns, with on spare, for $15 less than the cost of one Slime Bag.

All the materials came in. Here are the parts I used:

PartsSmall_zps6aacc732.jpg

Filter bag, 2.5"-3.5" SS hose clamp, scissors, razor knife, screwdriver and bottle (for shaping.)

The filter bags are a quality unit and much tougher, substantial, well-constructed and thick than I expected.

First I removed the strap & metal ring from the bag:

LipcutSmall_zps60f484aa.jpg

lip2Small_zps2f296bf5.jpg

I cut slices at the lip. Note: I found more cuts and removing some tabs works best. Pics later.)

slicebagSmall_zpsbc47f410.jpg

The hose clamps were fully opened, and I folded the filter to slide the clamp to the slits on the top:

BandonbagSmall_zpsc1157bc1.jpg

The bottle is about the same diameter as the outlets from the filter. I used it to form a round opening in the bunched filter mouth. This is kinda clunky at first, but you figure it out quickly:

bottleHoleSmall_zpsc855b699.jpg

I'm ready to install the bags. Sorry, no pics. But the key is to open the bag enough to get it over an outlet and firmly tighten the hose clamp onto the outlet. This is easier said than done, and took a few tries to finally figure it out. But it worked. One secret is to make cut tabs and cut off half. This prevents bunching of the thick material, because you're taking thick fabric made into a 7" diameter opening down to 2.5-3", so there can be a lot of bunching. You can see this in later pictures.

I put 3 bags on one the 4 outlet banks, and shut off the other bank, so 75% the water would flow into the 3 bags. MISTAKE. When I turned on the pump, I could see a brown cloud coming from the filter bags after they caught some algae. Shutting off half the outlets created too much pressure and the bag would not contain the algae. So I made a 4th bag, and put it on the one outlet on the other bank that protruded out enough to attach, and opened both banks. When I turned the pump back on...*voila!* Success! The bags filled and captured the gunk.

Every day the pool got cleaner, there was less algae and the bags were turning brown. But then no more progress, and I noticed the bags were hard from internal pressure. Then one blew off. I captured it and looked inside: completely covered with gunk.

dirtySmall_zps01e22650.jpg

(Note the tabs; much easier.)

So I had my guy, Junior (and his son helper), take all the bags off and clean them:

insideoutSmall_zps86b0677b.jpg

juniorandslimeSmall_zps944016f0.jpg

cleanSmall_zpsea3cca13.jpg

NOTE: this is easy. I noticed with the SlimeBags cleaning is somewhat problematic. But we took the top ring off, turned then inside out, put it over a pole and sprayed it with water until clean.

slicesSmall_zps1a2da3a9.jpg

Note the tabs again.

4 cleaned, and back into the pool!

The pool became MUCH cleaner, and the clean bags began to turn brown again after 10 days. I noticed water escaping from around the hose clamp on one, so I figured the pressure was high and the bag no longer filtering, so out they came. When I would unattach a bag and lift it from the pool, little water escaped/filtered through since the bag had become occluded.

Tobecleaned_zpsdc23bc40.jpg

Dirty bag, part two. They aren't as bad as the first time, but still very dirty:

slimed_zpsf9d68398.jpg

Yuck. This has been circulating in my pool:

handslime_zps3db322cc.jpg

Second cleaning was much easier. This time I put then against a chain link fence, used barbed wire to keep it from falling, and used my pressure sprayer. Good choice, clean again (this is on the pole for a picture):

cleanup_zpse49d7238.jpg

Back in the pool:

backinpool_zpsb8861e65.jpg

I suspect there will be at least one more cleaning before ALL the dead algae is gone, but I have no doubt the problem will be solved.

I bought 5 bags in a lot from Duda, and I am glad I did. I now put water into the pool from the cistern (fed by the local water company) through the remaining bag.

fillfilter_zps68f00b1c.jpg

Why is this necessary? This is from one filling:

fillwater_zps95e0d45e.jpg

In the past that water, unfiltered, went into the pool.

Bottom Line:

All-in-all I am quite pleased with both the cost and results. I also think this offers one distinct advantage over the actual SlimeBag: ease of cleaning. the SlimeBag, I recall, has a small fitting on the bag that makes cleaning difficult. I just turn the bag inside out like a pair of socks for cleaning.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Don't they have any shocker here in the dr...when i had my pool on the island in ny all i used was shocker..no, without the cauhn.. ;) **** was like pure acid..well, looks like you answered your own post anyways, not that i read it all or even looked at any of those links, sweet jesus!.. Lol

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Obviously works like a champ. I think I'd still go out and buy the diatomaceous earth that's supposed to be in the filter, or better still, convert it to a saline water pool.

Then again, it's a rented property, right? Just pull the bags when you're using the pool, and put them back when you're done.
I had a DE filter in the states which worked well. This filter is a poorly regarded sand filter. Can't put DE in a sand filter. I've read a little DE may help the sand, closing some pores, but can't substitute.

I think one problem is the sand the "techs" from Ochoa used. I believe it's construction sand, not filter sand. Filter sand is almost like course dust. Construction sand is like playbox sand: not that fine. And I won't spend the $$$ to replace the filter in a rented house...and the landlord sees nothing wrong with his filter.

When all the super fine algae is removed, I'll take the bags off to be used again if necessary.

The use of one of the bags to fliter the water going ~in~ the pool will be a big help. I was surprised how nasty it is.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Really clever. My wife had been nagging me for three years for a pool I am showing her your excellent post as another good reason not to have a pool. Thanks.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Really clever. My wife had been nagging me for three years for a pool I am showing her your excellent post as another good reason not to have a pool. Thanks.
If you get a pool, get top filtration equipment-I suggest a solid DE system-and an automatic chlorinator.

My problem is specific: how to get rid of dead algae without draining the pool. The algae is too small for even a good sand filter to remove. Hence the 1 micron bags.

Aug 6, 2006
Dead algae is at least as nasty as live algae. It's only advantage is that it cannot reproduce.

I think that someday, we may find that we can grow our own algae and convert it to fuel. This is technically possible now, but not cost-effective.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy, you must be Dominican!
Not yet.

There is a product that does the exact same thing, but it would have cost $300. I spent $55, and also got an extra bag to filter water going into the pool.

Clearly my method isn't slick & professional. But it works well at a price I like.

Aug 6, 2006
It is as slick and professional as the $300 system.

Everything about a pool is overpriced. Here in Miami we have a chain of pool supply stores called Pinch-A-Penny. The problem is that they are the ones doing the pinching. Flimsy Chinese-made plastic filter covers sell for $12.95, and the Sun destroys them in less than a year.

Outwitting the suppliers excessive prices seems professional and slick to me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"CB", I though your thread was going to be about, "Gorgon & Greydread" had snuck into your pool without your permission!!!!!
All you need to do in case THAT happens, is throw in a bar of soap!
Works Every Time!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC