Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Residency Visa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Residency Visa

I've heard from people that getting a residency visa isn't that tough. I just spoke with a lady at the embassy in washington dc who made it sound that unless I had family there, had a business there, or was retired I'll likely get denied. Has anyone here recently acquired a residency visa? Any tips?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You will not likely get denied unless you have a criminal record or have an infectious disease like HIV or Hep C.
    That woman does not know what she is talking about! It is easy!
    Not sure it is worth getting unless you really want to be legal or
    need to work here.

I just got mine and don't know if
    I will renew next year, if I do I will
    do it myself and not with Lawyer!

I was all excited about showing my cedula to people at places but they don't want to see it they still want to see my passport! So what is the point?!

3. Likes Contango liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do a lot of people not get one? What are the consequences of not having one? I have a company state-side where I can work remotely so no I don't need to find work there.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

After you have lived here for a year or more, "Think About It".
    Until then, if you overstay your visa , just pay a small fine at the airport when you leave, a few thousand pesos AFTER 3 months!
    I've lived, and worked here for almost 20 years.
    I'm "Thinking" about getting mine, "Manana"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

6. Likes Harleysrock, MLR, Contango, jinty05 liked this post
    Dislikes Kipling333 disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not renewing mine, biggest waste of money Ive experienced here. Yes it will get you into a job, and it looks good in a legal situation. One thing I have noticed is that many oficials respect it if you have made the effort, as a lazy gringo they may wish to flease you if they got out of bed the wrong side, but making life cheaper in paying out propinas does not make the math correct as it cost me over $2000us to get it.

8. Likes Criss Colon, Harleysrock liked this post
    Dislikes Sosua Sonny disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Less than $1000, less than 5 months from the time we started it. Easy and legal. I guess if you don't get one, be sure not to complain about illegal aliens in your home country. Your choice, just my opinion

10. Likes JLA1125 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

All depends on your point of view.....
    if you have no residencies, you need one

if you're just going to wear it like a wristwatch.... not much value

a citizen of the world carries little weight in that world, I have found.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

How can a moderator give such bad advice ,,Firstly it is the LAW that if you are here for more than 6 months in the year you need a tarjeta de residencia and a cedula so if you are the sort of person that breaks the laws of your host country , then forget about the visa . If you are here for more than 3 months and you are driving on your home country drivers licence and if you have an accident , then your insurance company are not obliged to cover you and you can find yourself in deep trouble with the police .You will need your Dominican cedula to obtain your Dominican drivers licence and also retain your home country licence.
    Now as to the ease of obtaining your residency card , you first need to obtain a residency visa in your home country or a country nearby ,,,that is stamped in your passport and then you go to the Department of immigration in El Malecon in Santo Domingo for the process to obtain your residency card. That can be done byyourself but it is time consuming and a lawyer , who does this work regularly can get the process done much more quickly you will have topay him a fee and also money for the residency card and also a bit more money to oil the system at the office.Then with your residency card you go to the office near rotunda de la Bandera to get your cedula...that process is easy .. You will have to do the process every year but each year you become more experienced and it is a comfort to know that you are abiding by the laws of the Dominican Republic

13. Likes Billp, bob saunders liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    The biggest difference as I see it is that if you are driving here and don't have a cedula your license and/or insurance is not valid. That is all as far as I am concerned. Pay the exit fee as you leave, 1000 pesos or less up to 9 months and no other need for a cedula. But I am addicted to driving. I'll go back to Tennessee and drive my mother around if I cannot afford to drive here.
    Der Fish
    I have asked my insurance agent twice about this and she said my coverage from Universal is valid if I have a license or not. The other person's insurance may have problems with it though.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Kipling333, you sound like you need to relax a bit!

I wish people had told me there is no reason to get a Residence Visa, I would have saved $2,000US!!!

If the govt here doesn't care about it why should we?! It's not like it's the US or something!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast