Residency Visa

MLR

Jan 23, 2014
I've heard from people that getting a residency visa isn't that tough. I just spoke with a lady at the embassy in washington dc who made it sound that unless I had family there, had a business there, or was retired I'll likely get denied. Has anyone here recently acquired a residency visa? Any tips?

You will not likely get denied unless you have a criminal record or have an infectious disease like HIV or Hep C.
That woman does not know what she is talking about! It is easy!
Not sure it is worth getting unless you really want to be legal or
need to work here.

I just got mine and don't know if
I will renew next year, if I do I will
do it myself and not with Lawyer!

I was all excited about showing my cedula to people at places but they don't want to see it they still want to see my passport! So what is the point?!

MLR

Jan 23, 2014
Do a lot of people not get one? What are the consequences of not having one? I have a company state-side where I can work remotely so no I don't need to find work there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After you have lived here for a year or more, "Think About It".
Until then, if you overstay your visa , just pay a small fine at the airport when you leave, a few thousand pesos AFTER 3 months!
I've lived, and worked here for almost 20 years.
I'm "Thinking" about getting mine, "Manana"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I?m not renewing mine, biggest waste of money I?ve experienced here. Yes it will get you into a job, and it looks good in a legal situation. One thing I have noticed is that many oficials respect it if you have made the effort, as a lazy gringo they may wish to flease you if they got out of bed the wrong side, but making life cheaper in paying out propinas does not make the math correct as it cost me over $2000us to get it.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Less than $1000, less than 5 months from the time we started it. Easy and legal. I guess if you don't get one, be sure not to complain about illegal aliens in your home country. Your choice, just my opinion

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All depends on your point of view.....
if you have no residencies, you need one

if you're just going to wear it like a wristwatch.... not much value

a citizen of the world carries little weight in that world, I have found.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
How can a moderator give such bad advice ,,Firstly it is the LAW that if you are here for more than 6 months in the year you need a tarjeta de residencia and a cedula so if you are the sort of person that breaks the laws of your host country , then forget about the visa . If you are here for more than 3 months and you are driving on your home country drivers licence and if you have an accident , then your insurance company are not obliged to cover you and you can find yourself in deep trouble with the police .You will need your Dominican cedula to obtain your Dominican drivers licence and also retain your home country licence.
Now as to the ease of obtaining your residency card , you first need to obtain a residency visa in your home country or a country nearby ,,,that is stamped in your passport and then you go to the Department of immigration in El Malecon in Santo Domingo for the process to obtain your residency card. That can be done byyourself but it is time consuming and a lawyer , who does this work regularly can get the process done much more quickly you will have topay him a fee and also money for the residency card and also a bit more money to oil the system at the office.Then with your residency card you go to the office near rotunda de la Bandera to get your cedula...that process is easy .. You will have to do the process every year but each year you become more experienced and it is a comfort to know that you are abiding by the laws of the Dominican Republic

The biggest difference as I see it is that if you are driving here and don't have a cedula your license and/or insurance is not valid. That is all as far as I am concerned. Pay the exit fee as you leave, 1000 pesos or less up to 9 months and no other need for a cedula. But I am addicted to driving. I'll go back to Tennessee and drive my mother around if I cannot afford to drive here.
Der Fish

I have asked my insurance agent twice about this and she said my coverage from Universal is valid if I have a license or not. The other person's insurance may have problems with it though.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Insurance

Harley, keep asking that insurance agent.... like everything else here, they tell you what you want to hear - and sign you up for another year.

And, you couldn't be more wrong about the residency...... some flaunt it, some don't.
You never know when a Dominican will pull out the law/rules on you.....

Like Baden-Powell, be prepared....... read about the deported German here

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And of course if u stored all ure savings in a dr bank....... pfffshhheedd disapeared.......

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
How can any gringo be worried about a miserly $2000 when it means he is following the laws of the Dominican Republic ..It has nothing to do with being relaxed but much to do with ethics . I also insure with Universal and after an accident in the capital ,i and the other party went to the accident division in the capital where you have to lodge the accident report and where there are also representatives for the various insurance company .. The first question the police asked is how long i had spent inthe DR during the year and this was asked also by the insurance rep . That was before I had my Dominican licence as well .
I suppose the best thing that could happen to Harley nextyear is for him to have an accident , have to tell the police why he is driving without a Dominican licence when he has been here for more than 3 months and just see how much he has to pay , and whether he will have to pay more to keep out of prison . As I said it is all about abiding by Dominican laws and do we really need those who do not .?

As I said it is all about abiding by Dominican laws and do we really need those who do not .?

Why the hell do you care about what other people do?! It's none of your business! Maybe $2,000 every year is a small amount for you but it is certainly not for me! Especially if there is no reason to spend it!
I actually plan on getting my DR license but I really don't think it is a big deal not to have one!

You seriously need to take the stick out of your ass!

You can always get an international license.

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I guess if you don't get one, be sure not to complain about illegal aliens in your home country. Your choice, just my opinion

Not comparrable to most of our native countries. Illegal immigrants sit and await legality while being supported by our tax contributions. They fleace our social hand outs, more of our tax contributions. Most illegals of DR1 pour money into this country, take nothing and ask for very little, and what they do ask for they always have to pay for. Not at all comparrable. In the UK illegals are a drain, here they contribute massively. Most legals here became legal relatively quickly as they are used to doing things the ?right?way. Most seasoned legals who have done this will probably not continue to renew for many years once they see the light, unless it is necessary for work etc.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
when it means he is following the laws of the Dominican Republic ..It has nothing to do with being relaxed but much to do with ethics .

that has cracked me up, hahaha!!!!!!

Such a law abiding country, and oh so ethical, hehehehe!!!!!!!!

I have insurance at the moment, just to keep me legal on the road, less than RD2,000 I think. Yes it is best if you ever have a bash that you can not drive off from. But always remember that if you can get away then just do, even paying for your own repairs even if it was their fault will cost you less than their whip lash, twisted torso and broken heart.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why the hell do you care about what other people do?! It's none of your business! Maybe $2,000 every year is a small amount for you but it is certainly not for me! Especially if there is no reason to spend it!
I actually plan on getting my DR license but I really don't think it is a big deal not to have one!

You seriously need to take the stick out of your ass!

You can always get an international license.

Read up on that one , H.

Lots of history fro that one......

You, my friend , have some serious information shortfalls..... listening too much to DR1 , not enough to what's outside your door

You, my friend , have some serious information shortfalls..... listening too much to DR1 , not enough to what's outside your door

right outside my door is people who don't have insurance or licenses and some don't have Cedula's........:p

Look basically some people are willing to risk certain things and some aren't.
I just don't see the big deal of not getting residency and some feel strongly about getting it. Will I? yes probably bc i like to keep the amount of illegal things I do to a minimum!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
right outside my door is people who don't have insurance or licenses and some don't have Cedula's........:p

Look basically some people are willing to risk certain things and some aren't.
I just don't see the big deal of not getting residency and some feel strongly about getting it. Will I? yes probably bc i like to keep the amount of illegal things I do to a minimum!

It's all about your own personal morality. I happen to think illegal immigration is a big issue so I prefer to be legal.