Plastic Surgery in Santo Domingo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
boring and not relevant. who the f**k has a surgery in a spa center to save bucks? this is the same dumb people who get cooking oil, cement and fix-a-flat injected into their faces and asses in order to save money. go to a legit surgeon, in a legit hospital and DR is as safe for plastic procedures as USA. we have two plastic surgeons in the family: one female doctor in SD with 20 years or so under her belt and a younger male in santiago who started his practice few years ago after extensive training in mexico. the one in SD operated on a bunch of family members over the years, they are feel and look great, no problems ever.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
boring and not relevant. who the f**k has a surgery in a spa center to save bucks? this is the same dumb people who get cooking oil, cement and fix-a-flat injected into their faces and asses in order to save money. go to a legit surgeon, in a legit hospital and DR is as safe for plastic procedures as USA. we have two plastic surgeons in the family: one female doctor in SD with 20 years or so under her belt and a younger male in santiago who started his practice few years ago after extensive training in mexico. the one in SD operated on a bunch of family members over the years, they are feel and look great, no problems ever.

Its important to read the article before commenting on it, because you have your facts wrong. The doctor in the article that performed the fatal operation was certified, but that doesn't mean much in a country where who you know is more important than what you know.

Furthermore, the surgeon that the the now deceased woman used was recommended to her by others. The problem is Dominican culture and mentality. The DR values being connected over having actual skill. I've heard many so called doctors in the DR actually paid for their certifications and degrees, just paid to get certified, not bothering to pass exams or study.

Months ago I mentioned on a thread here on DR1 that a six year old girl died here in the DR as a result of local moron doctors giving her too much anesthesia during an operation to treat her appendicitis. They gave her the dosage of a 200 pound man. I have no medical training and even I have sense enough to know that you should use the correct dosage for that. The problem I have with your post DV8 is that you excuse the clear stupidity and backwardness of Dominicans. These doctors should be prosecuted but won't be because the DR legal system is a joke. And dumb gringos will continue coming down to get treated by second rate doctors and die as a result.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012

I was going to start a thread on this but you beat me to the punch, congrats. Yeah I was on Yahoo and I saw and read the article, wow. Can't say I'm surprised. I love living in the DR but what I've learned about this country is that you have to deal with Dominicans on the most basic level, you can't depend on them to operate on you or manage your money in their banks or anything complex, because they will screw it up. Remember, this is a country where Dominicans need Canadians to mine their gold and Brazilians to build their roads because they apparently lack the competency to do it themselves. So don't expect surgical procedures by Dominicans to go well, and never expect the doctors to be prosecuted or held accountable.

I feel no sympathy for this woman who died due to the operation, because all she had to do was exercise. But people are so lazy these days. Everyone wants a short cut to a great body. I've been doing push ups for six years now and I'm just now starting to see the results of my hard work. I look great and I feel great. Most people won't work out for six years to get a nice body. Naw, they'd rather pay a few thousand dollars in some third world, backwards country to take a shortcut.

I've learned several things from this case. One, don't trust Dominican doctors. Two, there are no shortcuts to success in life. If you want a great body you've got to work out. Three, you get what you pay for. This chick should have just hired an American doctor for this, or saved up till she could afford one.

Last edited:

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

DV8 you really make me laugh! Fix a flat! Rothlmao!!!!!!!!!

drescape24

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Can anyone direct you to Dr Hector Cabral??

See the previous 1800 posts........

You know whats ironic about this case? I saw photos of the woman who died and she actually looked pretty cute. She didn't look like she needed an operation at all, what a waste. It looks like she had the "Michael Jackson Syndrome."

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
spa center ain't a legit hospital.

Define "legit" in the DR? Regarding this country, I don't even know what that word means. Its hard to know where "legit" and "illegit" begins and ends in this country. There is so much corruption and backwardness here that I'm wary of even getting residency, let alone citizenship.

I can't speak for you or others, but I wouldn't risk my life getting any form of surgery in Dominican hospitals. Dominicans have built a reputation of corruption and incompetence. And they are too proud and arrogant to ever admit it. What scares me though is that YOU won't admit it. From your posts you seem to blame the victim. I admit, she should have exercised or just saved up for an American surgeon. But her death primarily is the result of incompetent doctors in an incompetent society, where there is no accountability.

If this doctor where American, he would be getting hit with a huge malpractice lawsuit. His medical career would be finished. But don't expect this outcome with Dominicans, for in their eyes it is impossible for them to do wrong. Besides, the local legal systems doesn't favor foreigners anyway.

riosanjuanero

Jul 10, 2006
You don't know what you are talking about, you don't go to Walmart for plastic surgery. There are excellent clinics here and they don't advertise as places for cheap plastic surgery

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had a surgery in DR and it was not a big deal. i will have plastic surgery too when the time comes. i am not paranoid.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
You don't know what you are talking about, you don't go to Walmart for plastic surgery. There are excellent clinics here and they don't advertise as places for cheap plastic surgery

Define "excellent clinic?" One certified by the government? But wait. The doctor that killed that young American woman was "certified." So how do you define an excellent clinic in the DR? Apparently being certified doesn't matter. The DR is a country where anyone can be certified or deemed excellent if they pay the right people the right amount of money.

The medical clinic where that woman died was also said to be "excellent" to. It would be one thing if this was an isolated incident but it is not. Many other foreigners are getting sick and dying to. Its just a consquence of a backwards and corrupt society.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Dv8 any suggestions in Santo Domingo? I need to see a surgeon for a second opinion on an operatiob i did.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You're brave. I'll give you that much.

it's not about being brave, it's about being wise. a private hospital in DR (i was operated in clinica union in santiago) is pretty good as hospitals go. clean, well organized and well run. i have a dominican health insurance so i am covered. in case something goes wrong - and sometimes it does - any additional procedure will be covered. i cannot go to have surgery back home as i am no longer insured there. i cannot go to have my face done in the USA because if my heart stops i will be rolled to a normal hospital and will have to rip out my organs to pay that off. so i look for a good clinic and a good doctor here and i am good...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Liposuction can be very dangerous.

Just Google liposuction deaths............ A case in Philadelphia was settled for $20Million

Many.many deaths from liposuction.....clot city