Aduanas Ayuda...Thumbs up or Down!

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
I just got word that order of bedding/towels is in Miami. Also got word that the forwarder wants $750 and 3 weeks minimum to get them here thru Aduanas. I COULD SCREAM. Wont help.

Is it worth or possible to bring them in suitcases? at 50lbs each limit for extra bags? Is this a recipe for anguish beyond belief and confiscated goods? along with fees?

Thumbs up or thumbs down please.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
What are you getting that you cannot find here in the dr? 750 bucks???? I'm pretty sure you can find a few bedding sets for that price, any photos??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo brought 3 sets from his trip to america, in a suitcase. it was worth paying for an extra luggage. that and 20 shirts plus 13 pairs of trousers :)

seriously, man, how many times do we have to say: DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING OF THE VALUE ABOVE 200 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you want to bring heavy and bulky stuff it is better to bring in a barrel or a box.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I bring towels and bedding back from the US all the time. I have been known to bring a pillow or two. I have never had a problem coming into the country with it. Agree with DV8 100% pay for the extra luggage, less headaches.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I just got word that order of bedding/towels is in Miami. Also got word that the forwarder wants $750 and 3 weeks minimum to get them here thru Aduanas. I COULD SCREAM. Wont help.

Is it worth or possible to bring them in suitcases? at 50lbs each limit for extra bags? Is this a recipe for anguish beyond belief and confiscated goods? along with fees?

Thumbs up or thumbs down please.

Please provide, weight, volume, and size of shipment. A more educated answer may be provided with the knowledge.

Regards,

PJT

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You can't change shippers now. Maybe you can have them sent to a cousin in Miami? (My sister is moving there and would LOVE the housewarming gift, thank you SO much, you are SO generous!)...

The issue now is do you want them for an ADDITIONAL 750 bucks.. We assume that is bucks.. right? because who would be screaming over pesos.

I had a similar issue of my curtains. Very Very expensive very plain curtains.

Actually there are very good bedding and towels available here in capital.. 400 thread count, Egyptian cotton ,. all that.

Maybe you can have them return them to the store for a credit to your account?

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
You can't change shippers now. Maybe you can have them sent to a cousin in Miami? (My sister is moving there and would LOVE the housewarming gift, thank you SO much, you are SO generous!)...

The issue now is do you want them for an ADDITIONAL 750 bucks.. We assume that is bucks.. right? because who would be screaming over pesos.

I had a similar issue of my curtains. Very Very expensive very plain curtains.

Actually there are very good bedding and towels available here in capital.. 400 thread count, Egyptian cotton ,. all that.

Maybe you can have them return them to the store for a credit to your account?

Yes. Dollars. They are hotel linens. 315 lbs of towels and sheets. 250TC, tone on tone sheets and hand, bath and face towels.
I looked at La Sirena, Cuesta, Plaza Lama and the prices for good sheets were crazy considering the quantity I needed for business - 48+ sets....

I will explore other forwarders for future...thanks for all advice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
some of us gave you advice about carrying it yourself - suitcase, etc.

315lbs might not work.

Mudanza is needed here........
Can you cancel - refuse - anything to get it from your current carrier?

Refuse, call the mudanza to pick up at present location.... anything

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
if you can break them down into boxes with less than a $200 invoice eaxh.. then there is no impueta.. at aduanas.. but I suspect that it is too late for that if they are already in the hands of customs.

That is the lesson. Never more than a $200 order.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
some of us gave you advice about carrying it yourself - suitcase, etc.

315lbs might not work.

Mudanza is needed here........
Can you cancel - refuse - anything to get it from your current carrier?

Refuse, call the mudanza to pick up at present location.... anything

I got it to Miami. I did not send it on. It was too stiff. I was only trying to determine options. I heard the suggestions loud and clear. My boss actually changed his ticket so he could bring extra luggage - he will bring what he can within reason. I will get the rest next trip through.

I like the box/barrel idea too.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
if you can break them down into boxes with less than a $200 invoice eaxh.. then there is no impueta.. at aduanas.. but I suspect that it is too late for that if they are already in the hands of customs.

That is the lesson. Never more than a $200 order.[/QUOTE

Nah. Never left Miami. Took everyones advice and boss changed ticket to carry extra bags...he will bring max amount and I will go get the rest. Still cheaper than the other.

Learned my lesson on aduanas, heavy items, forwarding etc...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Pay it!
Then move on, "Lesson Learned"!
The time to ask your questions was "BEFORE" you bought the "Sheets", not after!
I used to think that it made sense to buy better quality goods in the USA, then ship them here with a cargo forwarder, rather than buy cheap inferior quality Dominican stuff.
I learned that was a false economy!
After it gets here, the Dominicans ruin EVERY THING, imported, OR domestic, at the same rate!
Most of the goods here never "wear out", they are lost, broken, stolen or rendered use less Loooooooong before that!
Now I buy the cheapest Dominican garbage I can find.
When it gets ruined, I don't feel so bad!
How many "They Used My German Steel Chef's Knives To Open Cans, or as a "Screwdriver" stories have we heard here?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC