'Dominican' Rocket Stove

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I was browsing the 'Sosua Mi Pueblo' facebook page and ran across this:

2hd9l5v.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice! It's a Rocket Stove... DR style!

The venting design could be better, but seems like it should work just fine.

Anyone out there messed around with one of these?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
I love that wooden thingy with the bag hanging from it, I would guess thats a Dominican Mr. Coffe?

The Rocket Stove though, don't get it?

g'luck!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's called a Fogon and every Dominican who grew up poor, including me, grew up with one of these. That one looks modern compared to the ones we used to have back in the days. They're not as common anymore, since nowadays even some of the poorest homes will have some kind of small stove.

The wooden contraption with the sock is for coffee. Believe be that rudimentary thing will make coffee that will put to shame the best gourmet coffees in The US.

If you want to see how people really live in "El Campo" this guy has a nice blog where he documents a lot of his daily life and he still lives there. Con Mi Nokia En La Mano

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Interesting little blog. Almost looks like he's posting directly from the phone. lol

I don't know if he still does, but that's how it started. This kid has an excellent eye for capturing everyday life and things. It's definitely one of my favorite blogs as it brings me back to how I grew up.

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It's called a Fogon and every Dominican who grew up poor, including me, grew up with one of these. That one looks modern compared to the ones we used to have back in the days. They're not as common anymore, since nowadays even some of the poorest homes will have some kind of small stove.
[/url]

Even though we have 2 kitchens, we still use la fogonda every so often......... great for big stuff like "soupa de patta de vacca", la halba........
We also use the other type for puerco hasado or chicken ...... platano cooked in the ashes are also real tasty!!!! ( then we ground them with garlic mixed in...).

The best part is that u dont heat up ure house. ( that is why we built a second kitchen in the first place......).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'have seen fogon many times and ate the food prepared on it. our favourite restaurant in maimon has 3 or 4 of those (apart from a regular kitchen) that they use for making fish. i do not find the food to be any different than when it is cooked on a "civilized" stove. personally i have no need for this. i do not cook for an army of people ever so a normal gas stove is all i need.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
While we are on the subject of stoves....does anyone know of a repair service for same?

I cannot use my oven as the control will not shut it off.

Location ; Santiago

May 29, 2006
Rocket stoves have been around for many years, though I don't normally see them made from clay. If they used coppiced wood as their main fuel, they can be quite sustainable ecologically. You see coppiced fences along the rural roads quite often. The let the trees grow for six months or even a couple years and then prune them back to the trunk on living fence posts. Used to be a very common practice because they also coppiced various hedges for basket material. When people switch to charcoal(in part because it makes less smoke) they need three times as much green wood mass to get the same amount of heat energy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Coppiced?? =pignon??
I find that the most efficentnis dried naranja wood......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All of our campo neighbors have fogons - some have a regular stove indoors too, some don't. Some can't afford the propane, so they cook with wood.

We also have one of the 'sock' contraptions, out of metal, not wood. Don't use it since my suegra died, but her coffee was better than what comes out of the greca or the espresso machine......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Smoke in the kitchen

'Til some stupid with a flagon Burned the place to the ground....

sorry this is a fagon...

The real words to Smoke on the Water are "'Til some stupid with a flair gun
Burned the place to the ground"

I have not seen the "strainer assembly" before. It could be Mrs. T.

Aug 6, 2006
The equivalent of the coffee sock is the French press. The advantage is that the coffee never gets burned as it can in the traditional Italian Etna coffee pot (those eight sided things that unscrew into three pieces and a gasket,

Coppiced wood: I have not heard that word before. This type of tree is called a madriguera in Central America. You can cut branches off, stick them in the ground and they will usually sprout. If you use a bit of Rootone growth hormone, they always sprout.