I d like to buy a motorcycle

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone,
I'd like to buy a motorcycle just to cruise around...

Well, I dont really like small ones like 125cc

I'd lile a 600 XT or equivalent, but then I hear here and there that its better to get a 125cc in the DR
as it is much easier to get good maintainance and repairs...

What do you think? Please only advises from the ones who know what they are talking about...
:)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi Franck, yes I know about that site
but what do you think about maintainance and repair for motorcycles more than 125cc

Aug 6, 2006
$9000 US seems like a ton of money for a three year old bike.

Cheapo Chinese bikes zip around Barahona, carrying as many as three people. They are not all that durable, but they cost only a fraction of this $9000 price. Parts are lots cheaper and easier to find, but probably need replacing more often.

I doubt that you could get a Loncin 125 to go much over 60 mph with just the rider, but perhaps you might not want to.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Having had a couple of chinese bikes I would rather buy a used Japanese bike that last longer and can be repaired anywhere.I have a mid 80's yamaha 100cc two stroke and it is by far the best bike I ever had in this country as far as reliability and repairs.
It is a very bad idea to go fast in this country.
I like to take my bike on dirt roads alot as well so a smaller bike works for me and it is easy to take into the house at night. I can go virtually anywhere where most riders wouldn't.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok
but my question was not to go into a debate japanese vs chinese

we ve had that many times already :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
and it is easy to take into the house at night.[/QUOTE]

:p:p:p

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What are you gonna do with a motorcycle? What're your missions?

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
nothing special, cruise around, go shoping, go to the gym, to the beach...
Most of the time, when I go to the other towns like POP, Cabarete, GH, I take the guagua as its easier and I feel its safer as I'm not the driver
When I'll have the bike, I guess, I'll use it sometimes to go the nearby areas but I think I'll still get the guagua or taxi publico most of the time

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
nothing special, cruise around, go shoping, go to the gym, to the beach...
Most of the time, when I go to the other towns like POP, Cabarete, GH, I take the guagua as its easier and I feel its safer as I'm not the driver
When I'll have the bike, I guess, I'll use it sometimes to go the nearby areas but I think I'll still get the guagua or taxi publico most of the time
frank12 is also an expert and a superior rider.

This is just one man's opinion, but for your needs a 650 is waaay overkill. They are large, and it's more difficult to just jump on a large bike and scoot down to the beach or store.

The power is excessive. Don't get me wrong, big power is fun...in the right environment. Big power is best used for higher speed cruising, like autopista cruising. Beyond that, the power of a big bike is wasted.

Consider something in the 200-250cc range. Plenty of juice for almost any road-even autopista for short periods-and small/light enough to just get on and go.

One of my faves for an overall great bike for the average DR use would be the Yamaha TW200:
1987-yamaha-tw200-5_600x0w.jpg

That will take you anywhere easily and in good comfort...including sand.

Suzuki makes a similar bike, the VanVan200:
08vanvan200ymf.jpg

You can go to the importers and have one brought in.

I'm considering buying maybe 10 of there to sell and rent, the Zongshen RX3, a 250cc small adventure thumper:
Zongshen-RX3-2.jpg

And-again, just an opinion-I would not shy away from Chinese bikes anymore. 5 years ago, yes. Now? No. Almost ALL bikes under 250cc's are now manufactured in China, even Japanese brands. Why? The Japanese could not compete with thee Chinese brands on cost, especially since the Chinese quality has skyrocketed in the last 3 years.

Once upon a time, "Made in Japan" meant junk. "Made in Korea" meant junk. No longer. And now we are seeing "Made in China" no longer necessarily means junk.

Aug 6, 2006
I think that the Chinese are capable of manufacturing anything if paid what it costs, plus a slight profit and the design details. They clearly do not always do this, because of the way retail works. Odds are that the manufacturer in China only gets around 40% or perhaps less of the price paid by the Dominican customer. The markup on parts is almost always higher. But the manufacturer cannot count on an exclusive deal on parts, since some other Chinese parts maker can probably undercut him on price.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I recently purchased a Honda XR250 Tornado. It's a decent bike for touring the mountain dirt roads and short rides on the street. It needs to be geared down a bit for serious off-road and the suspension has it's limitations, but overall, a decent bike.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
frank12 is also an expert and a superior rider.

This is just one man's opinion, but for your needs a 650 is waaay overkill. They are large, and it's more difficult to just jump on a large bike and scoot down to the beach or store.

The power is excessive. Don't get me wrong, big power is fun...in the right environment. Big power is best used for higher speed cruising, like autopista cruising. Beyond that, the power of a big bike is wasted.

Consider something in the 200-250cc range. Plenty of juice for almost any road-even autopista for short periods-and small/light enough to just get on and go.

One of my faves for an overall great bike for the average DR use would be the Yamaha TW200:
1987-yamaha-tw200-5_600x0w.jpg

That will take you anywhere easily and in good comfort...including sand.

Suzuki makes a similar bike, the VanVan200:
08vanvan200ymf.jpg

You can go to the importers and have one brought in.

I'm considering buying maybe 10 of there to sell and rent, the Zongshen RX3, a 250cc small adventure thumper:
Zongshen-RX3-2.jpg

And-again, just an opinion-I would not shy away from Chinese bikes anymore. 5 years ago, yes. Now? No. Almost ALL bikes under 250cc's are now manufactured in China, even Japanese brands. Why? The Japanese could not compete with thee Chinese brands on cost, especially since the Chinese quality has skyrocketed in the last 3 years.

Once upon a time, "Made in Japan" meant junk. "Made in Korea" meant junk. No longer. And now we are seeing "Made in China" no longer necessarily means junk.

I have a 100cc suziki, moto concho type of bike......great for thecampo to go down to the village..... ok for dirt tracks, to go to the river or stuff like that...... but on open roads it is scary, no power so cars overtake u at warp speed, so for me less than novice bike it is a no no.

I want a better bike, but I have to keep in mind that I am a "pure dr self taught" biker......no liencese, no lessons, nothing......
I will have to look up those bikes.

Thanks for the info.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I have a 100cc suziki, moto concho type of bike......great for thecampo to go down to the village..... ok for dirt tracks, to go to the river or stuff like that...... but on open roads it is scary, no power so cars overtake u at warp speed, so for me less than novice bike it is a no no.

I want a better bike, but I have to keep in mind that I am a "pure dr self taught" biker......no liencese, no lessons, nothing......
I will have to look up those bikes.

Thanks for the info.
Get a 200cc, like a CG200. It's the same basic bike with more power.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
What would you recommend for a taller rider (north of six feet tall)? That TW200 looks fine - if you're 5'6".

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
What would you recommend for a taller rider (north of six feet tall)? That TW200 looks fine - if you're 5'6".
Maybe a 250cc dirt bike with street/dirt tires.

Like that Zongshen.

Actually, many tall guys ride TeeDubs and they have a huge variety of mods and community support. I'd consider risers and/or ATV bars for comfort. The seat height is 31".

I'm 6'2" had had no problem zipping around on a TeeDub. Not uncomfortable at all...never felt cramped like on a "regular" moto...not that I'd want to go cross country on one (but some do).

A DRZ400SM may be the ticket also, basically a DRZ400 Super Moto with street tires.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Or, you could send a PM to Cobraboy and see if he might be willing to sell you one of his Suzuki 650's Dual sport bikes. They're the best bikes made for this island, hands down.

You could travel the whole country easily and comfortably on these bikes. These bikes are V-Twins and have bomb proof engines that are built to withstand a zombie Apocalypse. These bikes are built to withstand sliding and tumbling down the highway for 1000 meters or more without so much as a scratch; you could just just run alongside the bike and pick it back up and continue down the road without losing much momentum.

But more then this, these bikes posses one of the most comfy seats available, and with a suspension that is plush enough to soak up pot holes, stray animals, or ex-wife's--no matter how fat or tall they are. I've taken these Suzuki 650's off-road and leaped over rivers and mountains like Speed Racer, as well as cut through mountains and dirt paths. But don't take my word, let me present you with evidence #1 for your viewing pleasure:

[video=youtube_share;168Ogm_AgEk]http://youtu.be/168Ogm_AgEk[/video]

Frank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is a good chance I'll have my current fleet for sale in a couple of months (knock on wood...)

Excellent bikes at a great price.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi Cobra, I'll surely follow your advice... go for a 200-250. Thanks to you
thanks to Franck tambien

always there to helpppppppppppppp