Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I d like to buy a motorcycle

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I d like to buy a motorcycle

Hi everyone,
    I'd like to buy a motorcycle just to cruise around...

Well, I dont really like small ones like 125cc

I'd lile a 600 XT or equivalent, but then I hear here and there that its better to get a 125cc in the DR
    as it is much easier to get good maintainance and repairs...

What do you think? Please only advises from the ones who know what they are talking about...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Half way down the page in this link is 2012 Honda XR650L for $9000 US.

Listado de Motores en venta en la República Dominicana - SuperCarros.com

Frank

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Franck, yes I know about that site
    but what do you think about maintainance and repair for motorcycles more than 125cc

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

$9000 US seems like a ton of money for a three year old bike.

Cheapo Chinese bikes zip around Barahona, carrying as many as three people. They are not all that durable, but they cost only a fraction of this $9000 price. Parts are lots cheaper and easier to find, but probably need replacing more often.

I doubt that you could get a Loncin 125 to go much over 60 mph with just the rider, but perhaps you might not want to.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Having had a couple of chinese bikes I would rather buy a used Japanese bike that last longer and can be repaired anywhere.I have a mid 80's yamaha 100cc two stroke and it is by far the best bike I ever had in this country as far as reliability and repairs.
    It is a very bad idea to go fast in this country.
    I like to take my bike on dirt roads alot as well so a smaller bike works for me and it is easy to take into the house at night. I can go virtually anywhere where most riders wouldn't.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

ok
    but my question was not to go into a debate japanese vs chinese

we ve had that many times already

7. Likes Jaime809 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

and it is easy to take into the house at night.[/QUOTE]

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you gonna do with a motorcycle? What're your missions?
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

10. Likes rogerjac liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

nothing special, cruise around, go shoping, go to the gym, to the beach...
    Most of the time, when I go to the other towns like POP, Cabarete, GH, I take the guagua as its easier and I feel its safer as I'm not the driver
    When I'll have the bike, I guess, I'll use it sometimes to go the nearby areas but I think I'll still get the guagua or taxi publico most of the time

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rep Dom View Post
    nothing special, cruise around, go shoping, go to the gym, to the beach...
    Most of the time, when I go to the other towns like POP, Cabarete, GH, I take the guagua as its easier and I feel its safer as I'm not the driver
    When I'll have the bike, I guess, I'll use it sometimes to go the nearby areas but I think I'll still get the guagua or taxi publico most of the time
    frank12 is also an expert and a superior rider.

This is just one man's opinion, but for your needs a 650 is waaay overkill. They are large, and it's more difficult to just jump on a large bike and scoot down to the beach or store.

The power is excessive. Don't get me wrong, big power is fun...in the right environment. Big power is best used for higher speed cruising, like autopista cruising. Beyond that, the power of a big bike is wasted.

Consider something in the 200-250cc range. Plenty of juice for almost any road-even autopista for short periods-and small/light enough to just get on and go.

One of my faves for an overall great bike for the average DR use would be the Yamaha TW200:

That will take you anywhere easily and in good comfort...including sand.

Suzuki makes a similar bike, the VanVan200:

You can go to the importers and have one brought in.

I'm considering buying maybe 10 of there to sell and rent, the Zongshen RX3, a 250cc small adventure thumper:

And-again, just an opinion-I would not shy away from Chinese bikes anymore. 5 years ago, yes. Now? No. Almost ALL bikes under 250cc's are now manufactured in China, even Japanese brands. Why? The Japanese could not compete with thee Chinese brands on cost, especially since the Chinese quality has skyrocketed in the last 3 years.

Once upon a time, "Made in Japan" meant junk. "Made in Korea" meant junk. No longer. And now we are seeing "Made in China" no longer necessarily means junk.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

13. Likes Rep Dom, corsair74, malko, DRob, Contango and 1 others liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast