Torrential Rains

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last night we were hit with the most torrential rains I have ever experienced anywhere, including Hurricane Sandy. The winds were ferocious, the rain was pounding down. Everything flooded in minutes, and this morning we saw the damages - a lot of downed trees, most of them were platano and banana trees that had heavy bunches on them [but not ready for picking]. Thunder and lightning too.

We talked to family in Santo Domingo [we're about 45 minutes west of there] and they barely got a sprinkle.

Sky is black again, and it's raining once more, cooling us off, especially with the cuaresma breezes.

Anyone else experience this? The winds and rain seem to come from the northwest.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It's been raining on and off in Punta Cana all day. So happy the rain finally arrived, it'll clear up the air a bit and keep people from burning the weeds and garbage. In the past weeks there have been small brush fires all over the place.

s1mpleton

Dec 24, 2013
cabarete has just been getting sprinkles on and off. havent had a good rain in almost a week.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
went to see my doctor in santiago today, it was raining on an off on the way there and back as well as in santiago itself. at times it was very bad and at times just a drizzle.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yes, last night there was a real downpour!!!!!
Thankfully, when platanos are nearly ready, my wife sends me to prop them up with fork ended palo....... so only a couple were wasted.....
Sadly lots of flowers on mango and avocado trees were knocked off......

But on the bright side, rain was much needed......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, last night there was a real downpour!!!!!
Thankfully, when platanos are nearly ready, my wife sends me to prop them up with fork ended palo....... so only a couple were wasted.....
Sadly lots of flowers on mango and avocado trees were knocked off......

But on the bright side, rain was much needed......

Yes, we not only lost the platano trees, we lost a LOT of baby avocados that were knocked off the trees. Ditto the mango flowers :cry:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Raining here in Jarabacoa right now, really wet.

But no wind.

Scrabblebiker

Mar 1, 2014
Wow! Sounds like I left right on time ;-) back home to my ...errr steadily rainy home on Vancouver Island.

...Michelle