Sawmills in the DR?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Has anybody ever dealt directly with a Sawmill for rough lumber? Any sawmills on the north side of the island?
Or anywhere on the island I guess if it's a large mill worth traveling to.

Anybody know Board/foot prices for rough lumber - specifically Caoba?

And I'm guessing you couldn't "legally" bring some Caoba in from Haiti?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I used to work on a project near Cotu? that included a sawmill - sustainable forestry, furniture making - but they worked with acacia magnium wood from the trees being used in reforestation programmes in the area.

It is in a place called La Zambrana (although the sign says El Limpio) a few kilometres before the city, as you approach from Piedra Blanca/Maim?n.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Caoba is a protected tree in the DR, as are several others. Most of the Caoba here comes from Central America, and a lot of the pine comes from Chile and the USA. there ARE SEVERAL SMALL MILLS HERE IN Jarabacoa THAT CUT LOCAL PINE AND OTHER TREES.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I bought a few 12 ft 2X4s yesterday. I asked the guy what type of wood it was and he said he didn't know. 370 pesos for a 12 ft 2X4 seemed excessive to me.

If it was pressure treated it was most likely pine, and for a graded 2 x 4 twelve feet long, $ 8.60 doesn't seem excessive.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Near guananico the other day they were cutting trees down, and on site transforming them into lumber. No idea how, but over a week they were moving around diffrent sites.....

I watched them pile lumber after lumber onto a small lorry..... more and more and more. The suspensions were creaking. Finally the truck driver gets in to drive off and........ the lorry tilts over and falls on its side!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Between Nagua and new toll road, on the Atlantic side, there is a lumber mill.
Been there to look.... tree trunks turned into lumber,..... any way you want

that's all I know