Red Flag Moments

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I was shopping yesterday in Bravo on Churchill in Santo Trafficjam. I was wearing a Boston* t-shirt and someone said "Boston" and introduced himself. Big smile, telling me all about himself in bad English, saying he has a TV program, blah blah blah... little red flag... he asked me what I do; I spoke vaguely telling him nothing really... he'd like to invite me on the program... little red flag... I asked him if he had a business card... "oh no I'm out.... but I have one of these" and digs out... a business card and writes his name and phone number on the back... little red flag

"I want to talk to you." stares... little red flag

"I have a van." little red flag
"I need 3 gallons of gas." bingo... we have gotten to the point

I put a pained look on my face** and said "Oh I just have enough for these" pointing to the stuff in my cart, shook his hand and walked away.

When I went through the checkout line he was sitting on a bench by the exit with no purchases. I nodded to him with a quarter smile and he made a call me gesture with fingers to ear and mouth. I nodded and gave him a you got it gesture and left.

I wonder if he'll try for 4 gallons with the next mark?

*I load up on Boston t-shirts at the Revere flea market every time I go nawth.

** "What's my motivation?" ... Regret

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
They start young. Last week as I was waiting to get some work done on my bike a man and his little boy pulled up. They park and the man goes inside and leaves the boy of about 5 outside.
After 10 minutes of staring at me and dicided I was a good mark, he comes up to me and asks for 5. I sure he didn't want a high five but 5 pesos. I told him to ask his father. When the father comes out I mention that his son wants 5 pesos. I didn't even see it coming. The kid gets a quick slap across the face and says heres your 5. Into their car they get and the kid is balling.
I would have done the same.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Whenever someone who looks like a bum and speaks excellent English...usually with a New York accent...approaches me, I ask "When were you deported?" Usually stops the conversation and scam quickly...

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Whenever someone who looks like a bum and speaks excellent English...usually with a New York accent...approaches me, I ask "When were you deported?" Usually stops the conversation and scam quickly...

Haha. Thats exactly what miesposa says too. And it is at least 95% true!!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Just about anyone who walks up to you to engage in convo is working an angle here...

If you are mutually introduced it is a different matter.

I find the usual gracias pero no tengo tiempo to work in most cases.