Customs Charges on Products Costing More Than US$200

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was considering ordering a camera I'm interested in now rather than wait until I go to the US in late May, but after picking up copy of the customs charges at the Sosua EPS office and finding that the total charge would be 58%, I changed my mind.

The total charge on items costing more than US200 (including the postage/shipping charge) is composed of 3 charges: duty, luxury tax, and the 18% ITBIS.

In the case of digital cameras, these charges are 20%, 20%, 18%, for a total of 58%.

The total charge is the same as the digital camera for: home theater, DVD player, car radio with CD, IPOD, MP3/MP4, video recorder, microwave, and .electric oven.

For an electric hot water heater, the total charge is 90%, and for a rug and costume jewelry, 77%. They are the highest charges.

If you are thinking of improving the security of your property, security cameras are charged at total of 38% while a security system is charged 58% Customs Charges.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I just got 4 security cameras from Amazon, shipped in by "EPS" total value less than $200, no charges.
I say you wait Ken!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Stock up on small electronics next time you come back from the states.

OR

Buy and have it shipped to a friend coming down. Have them take it out of the boxes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Won't you have more fun going in to the store, playing w/ all the cameras and choosing it while it's in your hand?

Wait 'til May.....

Bring it back around your neck through customs while wearing a Hawaiian shirt, straw fedora and socks with sandals, chewing on the stub of an unlit cigar..... be sure to talk loudly, slap fellow travelers on the back and ask "where can a guy can get a beer around here ?? "

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect he does,
but he's smart to tell everybody that is name is CCCCCologne and carries a baseball glove signed by the Red Sox

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I just got 4 security cameras from Amazon, shipped in by "EPS" total value less than $200, no charges.
I say you wait Ken!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Maybe I am a Pendejo but I have ordered items through eps totalling less than 200 dollars but still been charged by them because of weight? One item was 3 pounds and they charged me 12 bucks. Hmmmm..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
those services don't favor weight.

I learned the hard way -- shipped a weedwhacker..... around 3,000pesos for a $140 trimmer..... nuts !!

Learn to spell 'Mudanza' for large or heavy items.......... and for you C-Tango... learn Peralta Bros

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Maybe I am a Pendejo but I have ordered items through eps totalling less than 200 dollars but still been charged by them because of weight? One item was 3 pounds and they charged me 12 bucks. Hmmmm..

That's about right, $4/lb. That's what I pay through Jetpack to get items sent from US to DR.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
those services don't favor weight.

I learned the hard way -- shipped a weedwhacker..... around 3,000pesos for a $140 trimmer..... nuts !!

Learn to spell 'Mudanza' for large or heavy items.......... and for you C-Tango... learn Peralta Bros

I have never been able to reach the Peralta Bros.. Ive tried several times over two or three years, left voice mail, they don't return calls... either they don't like me or they are very busy.... " that guy from Toronto calling again wants us to ship his friggin carro"

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The BB solution

... been charged by them because of weight? One item was 3 pounds and they charged me 12 bucks. Hmmmm..

Normal, just like any other forwarding service (MBE, CPS, etc.) would do.
[You can't expect them to ship your parcels free from MIA to the DR, can you?]

But you can ship a blue barrel (55 gallon capacity) for a flat rate and not bother about weight. :bunny:

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DRCAFTA means nothing to the DR part.
Contango, they get their money shipping by WEIGHT, not by number of items.
The more the box weighs, the more you pay.
The Cargo Companies charge by the size of the box, NOT by the weight.
Need something "Light" fast???
Air freight shipper.take about 5 to 7 days.
Heavy & SLOW, Cargo shipper. 3 to 5 weeks.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC