• Thread starter NuevaGeneracion
  • Start date

Optar por la nacionalidad dominicana - what do I need to think of?

N

NuevaGeneracion

Hi,

My father is Dominican by birth and I would like to know how much of a hassle it would be for me to go through the process of getting my citizenship (optar por la nacionalidad dominicana).

I know what is needed in theory, but what do the process look like in practice (time frame, etc)? Anyone that has gone through it on their own (I would of course prefer not to pay a lawyer if it is doable without one)? I speak Spanish perfectly so that part won't be much of an issue. And I can of course fly down to Santo Domingo whenever needed. Anything else to think about?

N

NuevaGeneracion

A thread not too long ago about do it yourself residency. May get you valid info to start.

Thanks for the info and I read several threads about the residency process here on the forum. The process I have in mind is however many, many times simpler and I have the needed info to start already.

That said, I understand that it will never be as simple as it is on paper, hence the need for some guidance and/or practical advice from someone that has been through it or from a person working with legal matters of this kind, or at least somewhat similar.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My son looked into this last year, but never followed through. I believe all he needed was a copy of his father's Dominican birth certificate, his father's cedula, and an apostiled copy of his own NYC birth certificate.

N

NuevaGeneracion

My son looked into this last year, but never followed through. I believe all he needed was a copy of his father's Dominican birth certificate, his father's cedula, and an apostiled copy of his own NYC birth certificate.

Hi there, and thanks for the answer Alterego! From what I have understood, that is indeed all that is needed. But where to deposit the documents? And how much "complications" may we see along the road? Used to small things dragging out forever in the DR, so basically what I would love to know is if this is such a straight forward asunto that I could do it myself, or if I need a lawyer to sort things out.