About school again. Which one would fit my daughter best?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
So i have that very bright girl who WANTS to learn more than she can in collegio Cadin (in Islabon) that she is attending now. She is a best student in her grade with 90-100% all test results. She learned english on her own in 2 years, she is 9 now. speaks 3 languages and wants to learn another, which is french and also she is very much into science and art. She needs a school where kids do not scream during classes (if possible, thats her complain) and teachers love their job and are able to make learning interesting. Not only make them write something =copy from internet.
She will be going into 5th grade and i want to decide now in which school. There are not that many choices but what would you recommend?
Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wouldn't the International School there in Sos?a do?

Your only other course of action would be to send her to Santiago or La Romana or Santo Domingo.

And you do need to be careful of culture shock. Taking a bright young girl out of her "comfort zone" and casting her into a group of wealthy from birth kids with all kinds of goodies, might not be the best way to go.

Look around the area for one of the evangelical Christian schools, They generally enforce discipline. So do nuns, but I can't recall any of their schools except in POP (San Jose)...

Sounds like a diamond...keep her shining. It is a good thing you are doing.

HB

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I remember i was the poorest giril in my class but still i would not want to be in other school where kids werent even trying to hear the teacher. And we arent that poor anymore. Religious school is a big no, i dont want that for her to get tangled in that BS.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
She was going to Nueva Vida from pre-k till 2nd grade and i wasn't impressed with quality of education there. She didnt know what is 2+2 after finishing 2nd grade!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Hello I taught at ISS Oct 2012 till June 2013 and then homeschooled 2 boys that were on the autism spectrum. Any international school, not only ISS< has real difficulties for children that come and go, most have parents that are well off because of their type of work and seem to be very mobile. If it were my child I would pay the tuition for ISS and if there problems integrating with other students of catching up to what they have set as the bar for setting up than I am available to assist.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is a group of parents who have a home school group for Sosua-Cabarete area. Anyone who currently teaches at ISS would know about it. Otherwise you might try calling ISS and see if they will give you a contact number.