is there any place that serves good tasting cocktails??!!

Since I have been here I have not been able to find a restaurant/bar in Cabarete or Sosua that makes really good mixed drinks. I try every now and then to order a fruity drink and they are always horrible so I go back to the safe choice of beer.

Do you guys have any recommendations of places to go?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
1. Try the fruit Mojito at Mojito's--tell them to put inside Chinola (Passion Fruit), Strawberries, and Pineapple. It's the best drink on the beach, hands down, in my opinion.

2. At O'Shay's, i got two favorites: A.) Natural Pina Coloda: they core out the pineapple right in front of you, place the meat inside the blender, add rum, then presto--a meal & drink in one...all of your daily vitamins & minerals, and at the top of the FDA food pyramid; B.) Cadillac Margarita: Gran Marnier, Cointreau, Cuervo Gold Tequila, Fresh Orange Juice, a touch of fresh Lime juice, then presto: you speak Mexican Spanish within ten minutes...Guaranteed!

Frank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
1. Try the fruit Mojito at Mojito's--tell them to put inside Chinola (Passion Fruit), Strawberries, and Pineapple. It's the best drink on the beach, hands down, in my opinion.

2. At O'Shay's, i got two favorites: A.) Natural Pina Coloda: they core out the pineapple right in front of you, place the meat inside the blender, add rum, then presto--a meal & drink in one...all of your daily vitamins & minerals, and at the top of the FDA food pyramid; B.) Cadillac Margarita: Gran Marnier, Cointreau, Cuervo Gold Tequila, Fresh Orange Juice, a touch of fresh Lime juice, then presto: you speak Mexican Spanish within ten minutes...Guaranteed!

Frank

no evap in the pina colada? then it can't touch my world beater version..

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com

Putting fruit in a mojito is a crime against the perfect cocktail imo!
Putting 3 types of fruit in should have you locked away Frank :)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Putting fruit in a mojito is a crime against the perfect cocktail imo!
Putting 3 types of fruit in should have you locked away Frank :)

I'm already in jail.

I'm staring out the window now at my guard. She is not letting me out for my one hour break.

Frank

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Since I have been here I have not been able to find a restaurant/bar in Cabarete or Sosua that makes really good mixed drinks. I try every now and then to order a fruity drink and they are always horrible so I go back to the safe choice of beer.

Do you guys have any recommendations of places to go?

You can't go wrong with traditional rum punch: one sour, two sweet, three strong, four weak, then add a dash of bitters. Simple - any bartender should know it.

May 29, 2006
About the only mixed drink you'll see are Caesars for the Canadians. Bars that serve them do very well with it.

I've thought about bringing in an Island Oasis machine on a trip. Makes Frozen fruit drinks for up to four people in about 10 seconds. You load a gallon or so of ice in the hopper in the top and it dispenses and blends it with one touch. Here in the states, they typically get $7 a drink out of them and some generate enough revenue where they have two machines running non-stop. They pay for themselves very quickly on hot days:

!!e!M7YgBGM~$(KGrHqQOKpsE0VeBCc7KBNIH!vLGVQ~~_35.JPG

I've seen Dominicans making mixed drinks and they look like they are dealing with a chemistry set for the first time. They don't know what a four count is and have to measure everything out. Cocktail glasses? Forget about it. Any busy bar would be brought to a halt if they put anything more complicated than two ingredient drinks on the menu. They'd much rather be popping caps on Presidentes all night. You'll have better luck if you see an ex-pat behind the bar, preferably a non-European. Cocktails evolved in the US during prohibition when the booze was terrible.

A bartending school in the DR.. Now there's an idea.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
casa colonial in POP has nice drinks but they cost about 10 dollars each. worth a visit just to see the place thou, the bar is really beautiful: marble, mahogany, stunning finish. there is even grand piano there, if you ask they may even let your gorgeous wife play it?

May 5, 2007
About the only mixed drink you'll see are Caesars for the Canadians. Bars that serve them do very well with it.

I've thought about bringing in an Island Oasis machine on a trip. Makes Frozen fruit drinks for up to four people in about 10 seconds. You load a gallon or so of ice in the hopper in the top and it dispenses and blends it with one touch. Here in the states, they typically get $7 a drink out of them and some generate enough revenue where they have two machines running non-stop. They pay for themselves very quickly on hot days:

!!e!M7YgBGM~$(KGrHqQOKpsE0VeBCc7KBNIH!vLGVQ~~_35.JPG

And you wonder why people lament the passing of good "island" drinks with an umbrella, freaking slushies for the masses

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
You can't go wrong with traditional rum punch: one sour, two sweet, three strong, four weak, then add a dash of bitters. Simple - any bartender should know it.

Jamaican punch whites v151- 196 proof + ginger