Cat care: does no one actually keep their cat indoors?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I'm having trouble finding the following in Punta cana/Bavaro:

Clumping cat litter
A litter pan to keep it in

I've seen cats around, but they were clearly outdoor cats. I've been to Iberia, Super Lama, and Super Pola. Only Super Lama carries non-clumping litter, and none of them have a pan to put it in. I've ordered a pan from Amazon, but the litter itself is a consumable.

Am I the outlier here, or am I not looking in the right place for cat litter? Do I need to get these things from a local vet or something?

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I buy litter online and have it shipped by sea so its not expensive. Yesterday News its called, light weight, doesnt stink and not messy like clay litters. So 24lb bag lasts more than a month for 2 cats, costs 15$ plus 33% from the price if shipped by sea.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I buy the clumping litter at Nacional in Punta Cana. You can get the litter trays at the vets offices. There's one by Plaza San Juan, one in the village and one near the Iberostar resorts.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Many stores sell various sizes and shapes of plastic tubs and dishpans.

None of which are designed to keep litter inside when the cat is pawing around to cover up its business. I'm using a roasting pan now and have a pan on the way; the real issue is litter facing me is litter and where to get it.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I buy the clumping litter at Nacional in Punta Cana. You can get the litter trays at the vets offices. There's one by Plaza San Juan, one in the village and one near the Iberostar resorts.

I may have to make a trek to Nacional for a number of reasons then. Thanks...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The litter tray conundrum has been solved, my query is really around the litter itself. Is cat litter really a "rich person's problem" that it's only available in PC Village?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you ever go to Pricesmart in Santo Domingo they've got Fresh Step, much better than the stuff at Nacional. As to the covered litter box, I honestly don't recall having seen any in this area, Santo Domingo yes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm with KateP, we buy fresh step in pricesmart in santiago. it lasts a long time. maybe you can ask a friend to buy few bags for you in SD every now and then? as for the trays, they should be available at vet shops, certainly in SD but also in local places. we use a laundry basket/bowl. it's rectangular and deep enough to ensure no spillage. not very big, thou.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The litter tray conundrum has been solved, my query is really around the litter itself. Is cat litter really a "rich person's problem" that it's only available in PC Village?

Probably in part. Also, up to several years ago, most Dominicans did not want to have anything to do with cats. Cats as pets? Heck no! Cats were the devil's pet, carried all sort of dangerous sicknesses which you could catch just by looking at them apparently... you get the idea. Most people I know (Dominicans and foreigners) who have cats let them outdoors during the day so the garden or the neighbour's garden is their litter box.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We try hard to keep out cat inside and it requires a lot of work. And now we have a closed every inch and he had been indoor for months. We had given up conveniences of not cleaning so our dumb cat doesn't go into neighbors and bother them.

We got our so called "self cleaning litter box" from Amazon but the thing requires cleaning itself too, and more often if you can't find crumpling kind of litter sand. More often me and my wife ends up cleaning the box every other week because Bravo is the only source that I can find it in Santiago and whenever it becomes available the whole inventory is gone in hours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what? every other week? gee. i clean the clumps twice a day and then refill when needed. every now and then i clean the whole box with cloro and use all new fresh step.

i think the cats do not bother the neighbours as everyone has dogs and our cats know better. admittedly they occasionally used to steal dog food from the dude who has a chihuahua but it's his fault for getting a cowardly rat instead of a dog.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
what? every other week? gee. i clean the clumps twice a day and then refill when needed. every now and then i clean the whole box with cloro and use all new fresh step.

i think the cats do not bother the neighbours as everyone has dogs and our cats know better. admittedly they occasionally used to steal dog food from the dude who has a chihuahua but it's his fault for getting a cowardly rat instead of a dog.

I'm with you dv8. I clean my cat's litter box on a daily basis, I also use Arm and Hammer cat deodorizer and sprinkle(powder) in litter. No poop smells in the house. Ever.;)

033200150275C.jpg

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My cat had 3 kittens saturday.
It's her second litter with her "Husband" who also lives here.
My question is this, he spends as much time with the kittens as she does.
When she gets off the "NEST" he takes over, as well as laying beside her with the kittens when she is with them.
Is that normal male cat behavior????
Or does he just have a strong "Female Side"??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
My Chihuahua is also pregnant, her first time.
She thinks I'm the father, and hasn't left my lap, or bed, since becoming pregnant.
She has always been my constant companion, but now it's her obsession to be in almost constant physical contact with me.
She is very protective, and doesn't want anyone to come near me.
HEY, that sounds exactly like my wife!
During the first 6 months of our relationship!!!!!!!
I was able to get her to stop, I Married Her!
Now she doesn't come near me anymore!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Hmmmm... a 6 hour commute for cat litter. Or I buy the cheap non-clumping stuff multiple bags at a time at Super Lama. Which means changing the litter every other week if not more frequently.

Decisions decisions.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hmmmm... a 6 hour commute for cat litter. Or I buy the cheap non-clumping stuff multiple bags at a time at Super Lama. Which means changing the litter every other week if not more frequently.

Decisions decisions.

Get the clumping stuff at Nacional. Only 20 minutes further than Plaza Lama...