dogs in the dr.......

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Have been through some threads, have searched on the net, but any ides are welcome, so here goes.......

Lately I have been havimg problems with "carapates", not sure, but ticks I think........
Never had any on my 2 dogs before, but since I have introduced 2 more they seem to come and go.
What do u use ???
I bathe them every 2/3days first with an anti carapate/flea lotion ( blue liquid bought at la sirena )and then with a human shampoo.
Human one cos dog ones are #1 expensive, #2dogs prefer it #3 white comes out white and black black, shinny and all.
Are there any "medcine type"/ pills for this problem???

Where do they pick them up???
My dogs do not interact with other dogs. They have free run of a large conuco. Maybe there??
I take them on walks and trips. Maybe then???

Other subject, what do u feed ure dogs in the dr????

I use "pedigree" mixed with cheap sirena/national made in dr bollitas mixed with tinned dog food and of course salami (they prefer induvecca!!!!, wont touch the local colmado cheap one.......) raw of course.
Once a week I cook them chicken legs/pequeso/modongo and once a week higaldo of pollo or cervo.......
Just trying to be sure they get all the nutriments they need ( and I dont have a clue ).
I also only feed them once a day ( diffrent hours, so there is no pattern.....)
What do u guys feed them?????

Other subject. Vaccinations and such.
Of course they are vaccinated for rabbies and have the dr "vaccination passport".
What other, if any vacci es/treatments do u do????

Thanks all in advance.

P.s. my dogs are in great health and very, very, very, very lively..........
Just trying to make sure they stay that way.........

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
My dogs had an awful infestation of ticks. I didn't understand why because the get Frontier every month. We took them to the vet. She has seen this before. She gave the shots for ticks and they were cured.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
its "garapata". we use frontline. expensive but worth it. we usually buy it in bulk and ship to DR. they key is to use continuously. that is start today, give the next portion in 2 months and then slowly you can take a bit longer. we now use it every 4-5 months and the dogs are fully protected. ticks are everywhere. they are on trees, plants, in the ground, you name it. fumigate the garden and more specifically fumigate the dog house (or the area where the dogs sleep most often). use the same stuff as for mosquitoes/ants and so on. wash the dog house (ceiling included) with cloro. scrub well.

some people use ivermectine in injection and/or liquid. it's cheaper but may cause side effects like liver problems and so on.

i feed the beasts from hell with pricesmart food. they also get extras. i may put on the kibbles leftovers after cooking, some milk or even the water used for boiling hotdogs. they also eat leftovers in general. when fiji was prego and nursing i mixed her food with liver or sardines cooked in water and then zapped in a mixer. but they are rotties and they will eat anything including the plastic bowl used for serving food.

i do no further maintenance apart form yearly vaccines. we inject them ourselves as they do not travel well and the vet panics just looking at them. no idea why, they are such sweet little lambs.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
They have a anti parasite collar, not frontline, but a french brand....... but they are very good at getting rid of them, than I have to go hunting in the conuco to find them......

Taking them to the vet is out of question, we are to far out, and one of the big dogs wont get in the pick up..... The local vet refuses to vaccinate them...... he used to do the older one years ago, but it involved 4 people and lots of rope and chains ( dont ask!!!!????!!! Bad memories.....). Easier to do it myself........

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You can buy Fipronil which is the same as Frontline in a bottle from any agro veterinaria. Many brand names but the one I have is Ectobull. It is RD$150 a bottle which lasts for months and is just the same as Frontline but a tiny fraction of the price. Look on line FRONTLINE Plus for Dogs & Puppies for Animal Use - Drugs.com for dosage.
As dv8 says they pick up ticks from any grass - you have grass here, you get ticks.

Matilda

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
CHICKEN LEGS???? that is so bad for dogs. they eat them whole and there are the smallest bones in there that can pierce their thought while going down and digestion track.. veryyy bad idea... take off the meat befor giving it to them. makes me so mad when when i see or hear ppl giving small bones like this to their dogs. some people say nothing ever happened... yea but wait... it could.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you're feeding them meat, read up on it on the internet. Some suggest feeding it to them raw for maximum benefit (I tried with my old Rottie and she kept throwing it all up...gross!) and you'll also see what to feed them to keep a balanced diet. My 3 guys get Eukanuba maintenance, more expensive by the bag but feeding amounts are smaller. Would love to have them on an all natural diet but I found it way too much work to prepare (I barely cook for myself) and ingredients hard to find in my area. No health problems to date (knock on wood). Frontline in spray has worked well the few times they've had ticks (expensive but worth it) and would most definitely suggest a full fumigation of their area if you want to control that (agro-veterinarias sell concentrated stuff that with a aspersion pump might do the trick). Especially with the rain we've gotten in the past week, that's when things get really fun! I remember also reading that feeding them some garlic (again, check amounts on the internet) is a good tick deterrent. Might be a good option for you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the Frontline is cheaper here, we find.... paid about $7US the other day... but I'm happy to try Matilda's idea.

We feed raw chicken all the time... I cut out the backbone and throw it to them plus any other bones and bits we don't want.
The crunching bones takes them back to their roots ( see Africa thread) and is good for them that way , I read.

A rich friend in Philadelphia feeds his dog ONLY raw chicken - 1 a day - just puts it down.
There is a whole school of thought on this..... costly!

We have used Ivermectin liquid, but worry about the liver, etc.

Sardines and wet food (Alpo, etc) get added for Christmas, birthdays......no, seriously, 2x weekly

Royal Canin is the 'go to' food.... 1900 a bag.........OIUCH! 3 weeks supply for us

malko

Jan 12, 2013
CHICKEN LEGS???? that is so bad for dogs. they eat them whole and there are the smallest bones in there that can pierce their thought while going down and digestion track.. veryyy bad idea... take off the meat befor giving it to them. makes me so mad when when i see or hear ppl giving small bones like this to their dogs. some people say nothing ever happened... yea but wait... it could.

Well #1 the dogs love them ( well mine do ) and crack them up...
#2 every odd day or so a chicken wanders onto my conuco and the 2 big dogs gobble him up and spit out the feathers.......
#3 I ve seen dominicans eat chicken feet, and not only the meat.......

But thanks I get ure point. Sometimes the dogs ( usally the big ones) do make like coughing noises as if stuff gets stuck, but they go and chew on some grass, retch and come running back for more..... fingers crossed.......

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I have tried to "like" the posts but seems as if there is a problem........ thanks for all ure answers.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We buy Frontline on eBay and bring it down with us, a year's worth at a time. Our dogs are outside 90% of the day, and we had a terrible problem until we started using it monthly.

They like Campion dry dog food, we try not to give them too much table food because we're not here all year, and when we're not here it's dry only. During our female's pregnancy and now that she's lactating, I cook up a batch of chicken, pork, or goat liver for her once a day - I add garlic powder to it too, I've heard that fleas/ticks don't like it when the dogs sweat it out.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Someone should have been warning "Dogs" for the last 5 million years NOT To Eat Bones,or raw food, but ONLY "Dog Food" which is mostly "Fillers" and little meat protein,which is what they really need and WANT!!!
My dogs told me so!Today's "Veterinarians" are more like Chiropractors!
They are not in business to do much more than sell dog food, and "suplaments!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Jan 12, 2013
And of course try and explain to a dominican relat7ve/employee that the dogs eat salami.......
They dont share with the dogs!!!!

I hate the idea of leaving my dogs in someone elses hands......... thankfully now we only leave them a month at a time, twice a year....

Sep 4, 2012
When in the DR, do as they do. For the ticks use oranges and rub them on the dog's skin. No more ticks.

I feed my dogs with boiled chicken breast, dry food and wet food combo.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
What we have found most successful for ticks is Ivermectin. All of the tick meds have some potential side effects and as mentioned above Ivermectin does as well but we have found the back drops work for about a week or two and then they have ticks again. With ivermectin it kills the birth cycle and if given monthly you will eliminate the tick problem. We use a dosage of .1ml/10lb of dog and we give it orally or in the food. We have a number of dogs and we have never had ticks even though we live beside a cattle and goal farm. As far as vaccines I would strongly recommend you also vaccinate them against distemper, parvo and lepto - all 3 of these diseases are very common here (much more so then rabies) and can be potentially fatal to your dogs. These vaccines can be bought at any vet supply store and are very affordable if you are looking at doing it yourself. For food we as well use Campion and mix it with a homemade soup mix which contains different meats and veggies - none of the food available in this country is of high quality and we find that this mix gives them the everything they need and they tend to really like it. We do all of the above things as well with the many street dogs that we look after through our foundation Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic. I hope this information helps...

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Wishing you well, Do you mean to rub the dog with the skin of the orange? To release the oil? or do you mean to cut an orange and rub the cut side? Do people generally use a whole orange, conveniently fist sized?

Curious.

Thanks.

When in the DR, do as they do. For the ticks use oranges and rub them on the dog's skin. No more ticks.

I feed my dogs with boiled chicken breast, dry food and wet food combo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't believe that dominicans rub their dogs with oranges. that would require actually touching the dog. and we know most people here would never do that.

Sep 4, 2012
i don't believe that dominicans rub their dogs with oranges. that would require actually touching the dog. and we know most people here would never do that.

No surprised that you know nothing about the DR and its people but you pretend to do so at all times.

Once again you are dead wrong.