Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dimmer switches?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dimmer switches?

Is there such a thing as dimmer switches here in the DR? If so, how do you say it? Where can I get them? Can I use them with LED lights? And Compact florescents? Should I send for them? If I have them installed will I blow out the building?

I am really used to adjustable lighting. Hate going from zero to one hundred watts all at once.

Also .. Is it worth it to try to change out the halogen lights on the fan for LEDS? the halogens are hot and very bright but the whole fan thingie only cost about 7000 pesos so I don't want to invest a lot.

thanks, guys.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They usually don't work with fluorescents and you have to check the LEDs to see if they're dimable. You should be fine switching out the halogens for the LEDs. I'd be hesitant using dimmers in the DR just because there are enough problems with the electric. Never use a standard dimmer on a fan. It can start a fire by not being on enough to turn the blades. LEDs usually use a built in dimmer that changes their strobe rate. I have a specialty LED color changing light that has a remote and lots of options. $25 from this site. They also sell two pin bulbs to replace Halogens.

LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

It's all getting very cheap. Got a 6v flashlight with a 1v LED bulb for $5, including the battery. LEDs will pay for themselves in a year or two and last forever(10 years plus).

3. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i saw those things in ferreteria americana in SD few weeks ago. no idea what they are called, normal light switch is interruptor so i would simply use a description like interruptor para regular intencidad de la luz. they were not cheap, them thingies, 500-1000 pesos or so, depending on the brand, if i remember it right.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I know of some people that switched to LED lights and they were blowing up on them. Not sure if it was because of a manufacturing defect or from surges/brownouts or perhaps problems under inverter power. When I looked at "upgrading" to LED lighting, I personally found they were not worth the added cost for the slight amount of power saving over CFLs.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless the bulbs are dimmable, you'll just chase yourself.

Fluorescents don't dim well ,

I would import if trying anything...... but messing with electrical currents here is different.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Some CFL bulbs are dimmable:

Amazon.com: PureSpectrum 20W Fully Dimmable Spiral CFL (Pack of 6) Warm 2700K Light, 6000 hours (75W Equivalent): Lamps & Light Fixtures

If you are looking for the equivalent light output of say, 60 and 100 watt incandescent light bulbls, the power savings of an LED bulb over a CFL is 1 or 2 watts so keep that in mind as you check prices on LED versus dimmable CFL.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Unless the bulbs are dimmable, you'll just chase yourself.

Fluorescents don't dim well ,

I would import if trying anything...... but messing with electrical currents here is different.
    I am sorry I bought them...... wouldn't do it again, don't like the performance

OH, BTW, they say that do not reduce your energy consumption by dimming - just get less light using the same power.
    Sounds odd to me, but that's what I read

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The issue with LEDs in the DR is durability. They are suppose to last 10+ years, but I think the tropics tend to rot out the resistors and diodes which then cause the bulbs to fail. Once they are more accepted in industrial settings, the specs should improve while the costs continue to go down. Remember when CFLs were over $6 each? A 15w LED puts out about as much as a 75w incandescent while a 15w CFL puts out about as much as a 60w.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent a fortune of Led for the house and we got an electrical spike and burned out a whole bunch of them...Same thing happened to guy down the street.

Is there something you can add to the breaker to prevent the voltage spikes from ruining your stuff?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know them as as deemers.....no idea what the real Spanish term is, someone said trying a descriptive name with interruptor, so how about interruptor variable. I have seen them in Ochoa in Santiago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast