dimmer switches?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Is there such a thing as dimmer switches here in the DR? If so, how do you say it? Where can I get them? Can I use them with LED lights? And Compact florescents? Should I send for them? If I have them installed will I blow out the building?

I am really used to adjustable lighting. Hate going from zero to one hundred watts all at once.

Also .. Is it worth it to try to change out the halogen lights on the fan for LEDS? the halogens are hot and very bright but the whole fan thingie only cost about 7000 pesos so I don't want to invest a lot.

thanks, guys.

May 29, 2006
They usually don't work with fluorescents and you have to check the LEDs to see if they're dimable. You should be fine switching out the halogens for the LEDs. I'd be hesitant using dimmers in the DR just because there are enough problems with the electric. Never use a standard dimmer on a fan. It can start a fire by not being on enough to turn the blades. LEDs usually use a built in dimmer that changes their strobe rate. I have a specialty LED color changing light that has a remote and lots of options. $25 from this site. They also sell two pin bulbs to replace Halogens.

LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

It's all getting very cheap. Got a 6v flashlight with a 1v LED bulb for $5, including the battery. LEDs will pay for themselves in a year or two and last forever(10 years plus).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw those things in ferreteria americana in SD few weeks ago. no idea what they are called, normal light switch is interruptor so i would simply use a description like interruptor para regular intencidad de la luz. they were not cheap, them thingies, 500-1000 pesos or so, depending on the brand, if i remember it right.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know of some people that switched to LED lights and they were blowing up on them. Not sure if it was because of a manufacturing defect or from surges/brownouts or perhaps problems under inverter power. When I looked at "upgrading" to LED lighting, I personally found they were not worth the added cost for the slight amount of power saving over CFLs.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Unless the bulbs are dimmable, you'll just chase yourself.

Fluorescents don't dim well ,

I would import if trying anything...... but messing with electrical currents here is different.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Unless the bulbs are dimmable, you'll just chase yourself.

Fluorescents don't dim well ,

I would import if trying anything...... but messing with electrical currents here is different.

I am sorry I bought them...... wouldn't do it again, don't like the performance

OH, BTW, they say that do not reduce your energy consumption by dimming - just get less light using the same power.
Sounds odd to me, but that's what I read

May 29, 2006
The issue with LEDs in the DR is durability. They are suppose to last 10+ years, but I think the tropics tend to rot out the resistors and diodes which then cause the bulbs to fail. Once they are more accepted in industrial settings, the specs should improve while the costs continue to go down. Remember when CFLs were over $6 each? A 15w LED puts out about as much as a 75w incandescent while a 15w CFL puts out about as much as a 60w.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I spent a fortune of Led for the house and we got an electrical spike and burned out a whole bunch of them...Same thing happened to guy down the street.

Is there something you can add to the breaker to prevent the voltage spikes from ruining your stuff?

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
I know them as as deemers.....no idea what the real Spanish term is, someone said trying a descriptive name with interruptor, so how about interruptor variable. I have seen them in Ochoa in Santiago

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
a transformer will stop the electrical spikes and make your appliances last longer. I had one and it worked great until an electrical storm killed it. Next one goes on the inside.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
hmm. what kind of transformer are you talking about? The other house has their own transformer on the roof, but when edenorte spikes the high voltage, their transformer does the same thing.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
thanks for the info.. yes, I thought that there was something like that about the fan .. something dangerous. And thanks, DV for the tip on looking at Americana.

I would not bother to change out CFC for LED .. It was the halogens that I wanted to switch out as they are hot and very bright. and they ARE on the fan so dimmer not an option. Want a very low light sort of spot. one that does not blind people nore heat up the house. A friend said I could have asked for the change at the Ferrereterria before I took the unit home but I did not know enough.

I love the light from the LEDs. It is "warm white"// There are some CF that are also Warm White but you have to check .. since there are also ones that are green and grey ugh.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
hmm. what kind of transformer are you talking about? The other house has their own transformer on the roof, but when edenorte spikes the high voltage, their transformer does the same thing.

I've got an automatic transformer hanging on my inside wall. My house has '220' volt service incoming, which adds up to around 130-140 v. on most days. In this case the transformer lowers the voltage to around 115-125 volts. All my appliances are happy and the lights are burning brightly without burning out. Usually as the night wears on the line voltage goes up and the transformer still keeps the voltage in the safe zone. This transformer is an AES 5KW model. I think it is made in the DR. Have had great service from it as am now on 3rd year since I bought it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've had a voltage regulator/transformer for three years now, what a difference it's made! Our electrician makes them himself.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The issue with LEDs in the DR is durability. They are suppose to last 10+ years, but I think the tropics tend to rot out the resistors and diodes which then cause the bulbs to fail. Once they are more accepted in industrial settings, the specs should improve while the costs continue to go down. Remember when CFLs were over $6 each? A 15w LED puts out about as much as a 75w incandescent while a 15w CFL puts out about as much as a 60w.

A spray of conformal coating would fix that problem, if it was a salt air issue. If power surges are the problem, then a good whole house voltage regulator would be needed.

I have found that newer 13 Watt CFL's are about the same light output as a 60 Watt incandescent. I ordered some GE bulbs on Ebay recently for far less cost than purchasing questionable brands here.

May 29, 2006
Cheaply made bulbs are an issue regardless of type, esp in the third world. I once bought a case of normal light bulbs that ended up being from Poland and about half burned out within three months. Live and learn. Many LED companies are putting five year warranties on their bulbs now when sold in big box stores. Some of my LEDs have the resister right in the bulb casing. The other concern that will come up sooner or later will be counterfeits of the major brands.

I haven't bought a CFL or incandescent in years. I'm a full convert to the LEDs.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
CFL bulbs that we use in the US last forever - here in DR they last months, not the 7 years the package promises.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have dimmers on our halogen lights and they have worked perfectly for the 5 years since we installed them. They were available in hardware stores on the north coast at that time. Just changed the on off switches to a dimmer switches. Should have plenty on ebay or amazon if they are not in the hardware stores near you. I have had them everywhere I have lived because I do not like having the lights on full blast and like a choice of power level.