Now this I call reckless!

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Unlike the folks who originally showed up on the island bringing Christianity to the natives, these folks dont speak Spanish and dont appear to have crossbows or arquebuses.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Bear Bear will protect them...

... oh, Wait! ..... I think they sold "Bear Bear".

"There's a bear in our son's room," said Teri. "He said, 'You need to take the tag off of Bear Bear's ear.' I said, 'Why?' He said, 'I can't sleep with Bear Bear like that. And Bear Bear's not for sale.' Oh buddy."

Crazies of a flock stick together!

The Perrotto's said the support from their church family at Christ Community Church has been tremendous.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
This doesn?t really surprise me. These people usually have some sort of support system.

I used to translate letters and interactions for a pastor from this church, that I had never heard of before, and I was really impressed about all the stuff he used to be able to get: from cash to vehicles to trips! They actually got a lot of support from the same church in other countries, especially the U.S.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sound like they are heading for Jarabacoa or some place similar. God will provide, along with a bunch of suckers from their church.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Right on the peak of Pico Duarte I met a Bulgarian family last week that had moved to Canada 11 years ago and one year ago decided to sell everything they had, buy a sailing boat and sail around the world (parents and two children). Probably many here would applaud their courage and free mind. However, since this family are Christians that followed the desire in their heart to proclaim their faith, it's reckless and crazy...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
This is what you call blind faith. Where they are from sadly tells it all. This is bible belt country. Save yourself not others. Sounds like a good tax scam.

LTSTeve

Aug 6, 2006
This is what you call blind faith. Where they are from sadly tells it all. This is bible belt country. Save yourself not others. Sounds like a good tax scam.

LTSTeve

I don't think Omaha is considered "Bible Belt Country" by most Americans. Usually the Bible Belt extends from The NM-TX border East to the coast, with a few exceptions. This is Bible Belt behavior, though. I suppose that they aren't harming anyone but themselves. I wonder why they didn't pick some country where most people speak English: Guyana, Belize, Jamaica, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, etc. It is hard to preach to people in a language they so not understand. It is hard to understand them as well.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Mauricio, the only one who said they were reckless was OP Pichardo, who erroneously claimed they had cut their safety net 100%. It looks like Pichardo may not have watched the video he posted since there clearly is a support group which is funding their mission and sending them a steady stream of missionaries as well.

As they plan to stay for two or so years, I'm wondering whether they will obtain the proper residency documents. Who knows, maybe they'll join DR1 to get advice on immigration or, perhaps, their sons' pregnant girlfriends.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have discussed the scam of sending "teams" of high school students down to the DR who have no skills but "feel good" that they are doing something. These people are apparently in on that scam where the money would be far better spent in other ways.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is no worse than some old fatso meeting a jobless 30 year old on dominicancupid, cashing her 401 and moving to DR because it's love. let them be. their belongings will support multiple families as it is stolen from them piece by piece.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Now if only I had known that dominicanas on dominicancupid had 401 to cash in...........

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Aug 6, 2006
It seems to me that if one were really dedicated to missionary activity, one would learn the language of the target country FIRST. Surely there are lots of places in the world where English speaking people live in sin and such.

I was staying at a sort of backpacker's farm in Paraguay, the Granja El Roble (paraguay.ch) and we were visited by a couple of girl Witnesses from Germany. Being as they came on bicycles and there were a dozen lost non-Witnesses, they stuck around. Apparently there is no real reason why Witness Kingdom Halls are windowless, and why they brick up the windows of buildings they repurpose as Kingdom Halls, as opposed to simply using curtains.

They claimed that it seemed entirely logical that Germans should proselytize in Paraguay, but not at all logical that Paraguayans should proselytize in Germany. The sect began, of course, in the USA. They claimed that they had never met anyone who questioned that the Bible might not be the word of God. They did not get into what happens when only one member of a family becomes a Witness (he is encouraged to separate himself from non-Witnesses). And of course, neither of them would consider reading the Book of Mormon.

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
It seems to me that if one were really dedicated to missionary activity, one would learn the language of the target country FIRST. Surely there are lots of places in the world where English speaking people live in sin and such.

I was staying at a sort of backpacker's farm in Paraguay, the Granja El Roble (paraguay.ch) and we were visited by a couple of girl Witnesses from Germany. Being as they came on bicycles and there were a dozen lost non-Witnesses, they stuck around. Apparently there is no real reason why Witness Kingdom Halls are windowless, and why they brick up the windows of buildings they repurpose as Kingdom Halls, as opposed to simply using curtains.

They claimed that it seemed entirely logical that Germans should proselytize in Paraguay, but not at all logical that Paraguayans should proselytize in Germany. The sect began, of course, in the USA. They claimed that they had never met anyone who questioned that the Bible might not be the word of God. They did not get into what happens when only one member of a family becomes a Witness (he is encouraged to separate himself from non-Witnesses). And of course, neither of them would consider reading the Book of Mormon.

Sounds like the plot of a post-Smiley John LeCarre novel. They were actually Israeli Mossad agents posing as German JWs in search of old Nazis who were hiding in Paraguay.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What's the big deal?

They came down to research first. Probably found a place to rent. They SOLD their stuff and are moving here for a few years.They didn't give away their belongings and are waiting for the Rapture on a hilltop.

And he probably has a job waiting for him when they return. This is done thousands of times over around the world. You may disagree but they won't be here pi$$ing in the streets and flashing bling.