traveling in comfort and style: caribe tours edition

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so today i went to santiago to see my doctor. it was good news so well worth the trip but it makes you question your sanity (and the quality of medical services in POP) when you take half a day to spend 10 minutes with your doctor...

anyways, i needed to go back to POP and metro was two hours wait so i took caribe tour bus. i got in, sat down and immediately remembered all the talk about bus accidents lately so i decided to buckle up. to the right of my seat was something that decidedly looked like a buckle so i dug to the left for the belt itself. unfortunately, my enthusiasm has stirred up the tenant burrowed deep in my seat. a roach emerged from between the cushions, winkled at me and scurried away in a lookout for a better place to nap.

i gotta say that it considerably dampened my enthusiasm towards travel safety. you guys remember now to clench your buttock when you travel in a caribe bus or else an intruder may run up your ass to snuggle with your sphincter.

i was never a fan of caribe and reckoned this incident really took the cake until i realized there was a lingering stench of old spice cologne over the front row of seats. i hate that smell. i thought nothing could top that until a charming old gentleman next to me proved me wrong by releasing a sudden cloud of poisonous rectal fumes that confirmed, once and for all, that the key to longevity was a diet consisting solely of lima beans and cabbage.

now i remember why is it that i prefer to drive here...

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
so today i went to santiago to see my doctor. it was good news so well worth the trip but it makes you question your sanity (and the quality of medical services in POP) when you take half a day to spend 10 minutes with your doctor...

anyways, i needed to go back to POP and metro was two hours wait so i took caribe tour bus. i got in, sat down and immediately remembered all the talk about bus accidents lately so i decided to buckle up. to the right of my seat was something that decidedly looked like a buckle so i dug to the left for the belt itself. unfortunately, my enthusiasm has stirred up the tenant burrowed deep in my seat. a roach emerged from between the cushions, winkled at me and scurried away in a lookout for a better place to nap.

i gotta say that it considerably dampened my enthusiasm towards travel safety. you guys remember now to clench your buttock when you travel in a caribe bus or else an intruder may run up your ass to snuggle with your sphincter.

i was never a fan of caribe and reckoned this incident really took the cake until i realized there was a lingering stench of old spice cologne over the front row of seats. i hate that smell. i thought nothing could top that until a charming old gentleman next to me proved me wrong by releasing a sudden cloud of poisonous rectal fumes that confirmed, once and for all, that the key to longevity was a diet consisting solely of lima beans and cabbage.

now i remember why is it that i prefer to drive here...

Don't be so quick to blame the old guy.
You said the cockroach winked at you. Maybe he is the one that farted.

Feb 7, 2007
Oh.... I thought Argentinean bus company bought Caribe Tours and imported their standard of service ... my bad

camasuite05_full.jpg

catering04_full.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Off topic I know... but I'm glad to hear you heard good news at the doctor's office dv8!! :bunny::bunny::bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i need to say one good thing about that caribe ride: the AC was broken. so my nipples did not freeze to death like when i travel in a metro. and the radio was broken as well, so instead of bachata we had a haitian lady praise the jesus lord for a good half an hour before she run out of hallelujahs.

only in DR a simple act of using public transport becomes a saga of sights, smells and sounds that can rival odyssey... sing in me, muse, and through me tell the story.

AE, i am also glad i am diseases free (relatively). but next time i will know better not to see a quack in POP for a consult.

Aug 6, 2006
Caribetours is at least a notch or two better than Greyhound in the US. I have never been fed a lunch or served a drink, but I do not recall any bachata or preaching, either. I have taken Caribetours three times from Barahona to SD, and found the trip more comfortable and puntual than on other big buses and smaller guaguas. The showed a couple of unmemorable films. All in all, it cost about the same as the competition.

Argentina has the best bus transportation I have ever experienced. True, it was more expensive.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
On the upside, more good medical news, your sense of smell and nipples are working.

Metro has always been the less "chopo" option.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only took caribe once before and the driver promptly rear ended a truck so you'd think i learnt the lesson. next time i will drive. there are no roaches in my car. and my own farts smell like roses.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Metro" doesn't allow food or drink on board.
I buy 2 tickets so I don't have to sit with a PEE ON!!!!
Please tell me MORE about "Clenching" and "Nipples" I think I'm starting to CUuuuuuuuuuuu....................................!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

note:,....Actually I buy 2 seats because my SEAT is TOO BIG to fit in their seat!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Did you happen to notice the bus speed going down the mountain on the return to PP? Because its a large vehicle its more difficult to guess but I bet they run between 80 and 90 MPH. If there is an accident at that speed your seat belt (which they never used to have) will not help much as the vehicle will come apart. I quit Caribe Tours just for this reason. That kind of speed under those circumstances will kill everybody. I like the local Transporte Cibao with the same drivers they have had for years and stopping every few miles for passengers. No farts on Transporte Cibao as the windows are all open.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
caribe always goes way too fast. it's scary, really. when i had honda capa i would always move out of the way for caribe buses. they would squash me like a bug.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Since I dont drive in this country my options are to waste $50 on a taxi or $5 on Caribe tours. If they give some A/C and a quick trip I am happy to pay the cheap $5. Actually I noticed the leg/ass room is greater on Caribe than Metro.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
caribe always goes way too fast. it's scary, really. when i had honda capa i would always move out of the way for caribe buses. they would squash me like a bug.
Caribe Tours and Metro both buses travel at a high speed. One is just as fast as the other. I really don't worry about it because these are professional drivers who drive the same route two or three times a day five or six days a week, and know every curve in the road. Only time I have been on a slow moving bus is coming down from the mountains of Jarabacoa.

Actually I have more fun riding Caribe Tours than Metro. Caribe Tours will drop you off in the middle of nowhere whereas Metro seems to adhere to the scheduled stops.

Maybe someone can dig up the last major accident Caribe or Metro had? How often do they crash? As far as I am concerned I will buy a ticket for either one tomorrow and sleep in comfort during the ride.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't take it away from them. they have good drivers. but sticking so close to such a small car is not a smart thing to do. it's like saying "hey, i drive drunk every day for 20 years and nothing happened". count your blessing, then, but no accidents still does not make it right.

having said that, to me metro is a perfect example of what a dominican company can be: they run on time, the buses and bus stops are clean, the drivers and customer service people are polite and helpful and overall service is top notch. it bugs me that this attitude and approach does not carry to other companies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.................. Actually I noticed the leg/ass room is greater on Caribe than Metro.

I would have to agree with you and as an added bonus Caribe Tours now offers buses from Santo Domingo to the north coast that bypass Santiago using the new highway. I have not rode that route yet but it must be a big time saver.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...................having said that, to me metro is a perfect example of what a dominican company can be: they run on time, the buses and bus stops are clean, the drivers and customer service people are polite and helpful and overall service is top notch. it bugs me that this attitude and approach does not carry to other companies.

dv8, I like both bus companies but they each cater to a different cliental. Metro costs a few pesos more and is most likely used by those who are looking for a "better" ride. Caribe Tours on the other hand will do things I find admirable. Caribe Tours allows the street vendors to hop on the bus and sell their wares, Caribe Tours will stop just about anywhere to let an old lady off the bus, I have actually seen Caribe Tours allow an old lady on the bus to ride a few miles and not charge her a dime.

Both bus companies are great and they each serve a purpose.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i don't take it away from them. they have good drivers. but sticking so close to such a small car is not a smart thing to do. it's like saying "hey..............

It's like saying, hey little car I am trying to make a day's pay. Now if you don't get that little car of yours out of the left lane so I can keep moving I will "squish you like a bug". LOL

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You havn't done anything until you take the red eye ( el cibao ) out of pop to santo domingo at 4am .