Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cost of living Bavaro vs. Santo Domingo

Hi all, after living for almost 2 years in Bavaro and thinking that in a coming future my life could lead me to Santo Domingo, I am wondering, which of both places is more expensive?
    I know for sure that Bavaro is not cheap, mostly expensive in all senses.
    For example, getting a taxi in Bavaro is ridicuously more expensive than in the capital, cinemas are more expensive too, etc.
    But in the overall, do you think SD has a cheaper cost of living than Bavaro?
    Could you give examples?
    I really need to know if it is cheaper SD, and if so, how much on average, if anyone is able to give that figure just in his own opinion (20% cheaper, 30% ...)
    Thanks a lot for your help

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Rent may be about the same or cheaper or more expensive, depending on where you live in Bavaro and where you will live in SD, supermarket food about the same, dining out about the same, taxis cheaper, public transport cheaper, gasoline more expensive (traffic jams), clothing cheaper or more expensive, depending on where you shop now and where you will shop in SD, electricity cheaper, phone the same, cable more expensive. So it actually... REALLY DEPENDS. I would say it could even out at the end.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your reply Rubio.
    So electricity and public transport cheaper, thats good.
    By logic I think clothes cheaper, just because in SD you have 100 times more options for buying clothes than in Bavaro, so for sure the spending on that should be cheaper than in Bavaro in my opinion.
    About food, I realised that supermarkets had the same prices more or less than in Bavaro, but at least in SD you have the chance to buy some fruits or so in local street markets, and I assume that prices will be really cheaper than buying fruit in a Bavaro supermarket.
    Maybe the overall would be that SD can be a bit cheaper than Bavaro considering some things that are for sure cheaper and if you get a life with others ...
    About where living, I assume the same category of area, I lived in el Cortecito (so more expensive than Friusa, Veron ...), so I would expect living in a good area of SD, like Gazcue, Evaristo Morales ...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Clothes?

Do-gooders in the US and Canada ship their big brand stuff to Haiti which is overflowing with the bales. Haiti ships them here.

Do the flea markets. I pay 40 pesos for a top brand pair of shorts that were on sale in Miami for $40.
    Gotta be real dumb to pay $39 for the same result.

5. Likes bob saunders liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything is cheaper in Santo Domingo.

Maybe only the rent could cost you more, or less, this depends where you decide to live.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Bavaro is cheaper to rent a nice place, you would never in a million years get in the capital what you get in Bavaro for next to nothing. Fully furnished, new apartment with security and pool, 100 mtrs from the beach $350p/m. Bavaro is a renters market.
    Capital, is cheaper for everything else. Using taxis in this country is expensive, you need to buy a car.

I say that, but I have just rented out my casita for RD1,500 per month, obviously not furnished, that is pretty cheap, but it is campo La Caleta, which is a bit too much for your average gringo to take, unless you are extremely well adjusted to the crazy folk.

8. Dislikes Sosua Sonny disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware, living in Santo Domingo has its own attitudes.

Think of living with cycles of power outages, water shortages, poor waste removal, and managing transit. If you have a thick skin no problem.

Weigh and measure your options.

Regards,

PJT

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no waste collection in La Caleta by the way, none at all, even down in the barrio.

11. Dislikes Sosua Sonny disliked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing.

Everyone lives in SD.

Ask anyone from DR in NY where are they from and they will tell you SD.

Since SD is the capital, everyone wants to be from there.

This has always been my pet peeve.

Ask anyone from Peru where they are from and they will say Lima.

Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone in DR thinks England is in NY, well actually think the rest of the world is in NY.

14. Dislikes Sosua Sonny disliked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast