Still alive.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I have an insurance policy in Belgium due for payout and they are asking for proof that I'm still alive, ( a rather Kafkaesque scenario.)
Apparently one goes to the local Mairie in Belgium and gets a certificate of the non-dead and that's it but I'm pretty sure that will not work in the ayuntamiento de Sosua so has anyone got any ideas or has done this before?
I am guessing that a notary could do it but my broker is not sure.
Any other ideas?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
This sounds like a french joke about belgians........

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Pourquoi les belges font toujours leurs courses a plat ventre au supermarche??

Ils sont a la recherche des prix les plus bas!!!!:laugh:

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Not to cause any alarm however,.....I received a phone call from our bank VP (this was back in the States) who was also a good friend. He said he needed proof I was still alive as someone had tried to cash in the insurance policy and had a death certificate, infact the policy had been paid out by the insurance company some 6 months earlier and the bank found it on my credit report! Even with my friend being the VP of the bank I had to prove I was alive?!?!?! photo, contact US Marshalls to take the photo, file with a lawyer for possible identity theft (dah, it was) and even go through the process of getting a new social security card. SO beware I am sure yours is on the up and up but I am always a little skeptical now!

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
Not to cause any alarm however,.....I received a phone call from our bank VP (this was back in the States) who was also a good friend. He said he needed proof I was still alive as someone had tried to cash in the insurance policy and had a death certificate, infact the policy had been paid out by the insurance company some 6 months earlier and the bank found it on my credit report! Even with my friend being the VP of the bank I had to prove I was alive?!?!?! photo, contact US Marshalls to take the photo, file with a lawyer for possible identity theft (dah, it was) and even go through the process of getting a new social security card. SO beware I am sure yours is on the up and up but I am always a little skeptical now!

Perhaps we all need proof that this is the real jmnorr writing this thread... :confused:

Aug 6, 2006
I would think that if one went to the embassy with a passport and photo and perhaps a set of fingerprints with a notarized signature that they are yours, that should suffice.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would first contact the insurance company and get some details and explain to them that you are in the DR. Perhaps they can suggest the best route to go. Are you sure this is not your ghost writing this thread, ooou, ooo, oooou!!!!!!!!! Freakey. Stayin alive, stayin aliiiiivvvveeee.

LTSTeve

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I would first contact the insurance company and get some details and explain to them that you are in the DR. Perhaps they can suggest the best route to go. Are you sure this is not your ghost writing this thread, ooou, ooo, oooou!!!!!!!!! Freakey. Stayin alive, stayin aliiiiivvvveeee.

LTSTeve

They know all the details and the broker is an old friend so it's all correct.I'm still officially a Brit and the embassy for the U K is a totally useless and unhelpful bunch of parasites (Could be 'Useless Kingdom' maybe?) and in SD and I'm in Sosua.

I'll send 'em my karaoke of the BeeGees 'Stayin' Alive'.....

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps you could write them and ask, "What would I need to do, specifically, to prove to you that you are (a) alive and (b) are really you.

andyt

May 28, 2003
Isn't there a Belgium consulate by the Hotel Dona Elvira? The hotel is on Padre Billini in the zona colonial