Residency and citizenship

mikkey201

Apr 9, 2014
Hi all. I'm looking into citizenship in the DR. I think having the privilege of being a dual national is definitely someone to be able to have especially without having to fork out $100,000+ for an economic passport.

I was looking at the DR a few years ago as it seemed easy. By easy I mean that I don't have to actually be in the country to accumulate the necessary years residence I would need but I believe this has changed recently. Would anyone be able to explain to me how to go about it? I've looked at some sites on search engines but they are from lawyers and I don't want to pay that much money. I've also been on this site looking for information and haven't found much on this topic so apologies if there is and I've missed it. I would like to know also how long would it take now to be able to get to the permanent residency stage and do I actually need to be in the country now for an extended period of time?

As a side note, I'm cabin crew with a UK charter airline and can easily come and go from the DR as needed.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, there is no 'minimum stay' requirement here.

To qualify , you must not be absent for more than six months.

New rule are are a bit arduous but can be done.....

Correct me people, after permanent residency, I think you can apply for a passport

Fishy, nobody's business "Why"...... how to do? was the question

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
After Permanent Residency you can apply for Citizenship. When you get Citizenship you get your Passport.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
To apply for residency you have to have one, a physical address. I would think without assets in the DR you would not be able to begin the process. The process is expensive and takes many years to get to the citizenship end of it. If you are a citizen of the UK it probably is not going to be advantages to have dual citizenship here anyway.

LTSTeve

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not sure about the physical address part LTS.

Assets for sure, My renewal includes bank statements and vehicle matriculas.... yes, land titles too, but my original residency had a bank account as proof of solvency and RD presence.
Admittedly, the new rules may be different.

One thing for sure, that immigration hall is busy ALL day long... no matter what day you go.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
A Dominican bank account with 100,000 pesos fulfills the assets requirement. Opening an account is no simple task however. If you're starting from scratch you should get a lawyer. It will be a mess otherwise. In addition, you can most likely use the law firm's address.

Does the UK even allow dual citizenship aside from other EU countries?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
After Permanent Residency you can apply for Citizenship. When you get Citizenship you get your Passport.

After the naturalization ceremony you must first apply for and obtain a citizenship cedula before you can apply for a passport. It takes about 4 months from obtaining citizenship to obtaining the passport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
After the naturalization ceremony you must first apply for and obtain a citizenship cedula before you can apply for a passport. It takes about 4 months from obtaining citizenship to obtaining the passport.

I got my Passport the next day after the Ceremony. But this was 10 or more years ago. I had the Cedula the same day as the ceremony. I had a good lawyer, real good.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
UK citizens can hold as many citizenships as they care to.

this applies for most, if not all , countries.

the ignorance on multiple citizenships is widespread, especially in the US.
I can't count the number of my US friends who think it is illegal to hold another passport...College graduates , every one.

My RD residency and the resulting benefits for me?
Dumbfounded by it, they are.
It astounds me

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I got my Passport the next day after the Ceremony. But this was 10 or more years ago. I had the Cedula the same day as the ceremony. I had a good lawyer, real good.

Did your lawyer have to pull some strings to make that happen or were the rules different back then? I also have an excellent law firm, and they've told me I'll have to wait 3 months after the naturalization ceremony to APPLY for a citizenship cedula (must be done in person in Santo Domingo) and then return again 6 weeks later to obtain the cedula. I was told it used to be possible not long ago to have the cedula sent to one's nearest Dominican embassy/consulate abroad, but this is unfortunately no longer the case. Hopefully they will reintroduce this service. Once I've got the cedula, a passport can be applied for and obtained within a week.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Did your lawyer have to pull some strings to make that happen or were the rules different back then? I also have an excellent law firm, and they've told me I'll have to wait 3 months after the naturalization ceremony to APPLY for a citizenship cedula (must be done in person in Santo Domingo) and then return again 6 weeks later to obtain the cedula. I was told it used to be possible not long ago to have the cedula sent to one's nearest Dominican embassy/consulate abroad, but this is unfortunately no longer the case. Hopefully they will reintroduce this service. Once I've got the cedula, a passport can be applied for and obtained within a week.

I would say it was a combination of both. Hippo was in power, so cash was king at the time. And the lawyer had a guy working for him that walked on water at Immigration.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My friend went the "Hippolito" route", and got everything in one day, including his permit to buy,& carry a hand gun.
26,000 pesos to the right lawyer.
I doubt that route is still available.
Lets see what the new DR government plan to get "Illegals" legal does.
31 "Centers" to go visit if you want to get "Legal"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 21, 2007
I don't understand how deadlines for those without papers can be established. Sadly, I believe it is hypocritical on the part of the DR government.

Why? I submitted my application for temporary residency about a year ago. (Yes, I had lived here for years, but times were changing and I thought I should follow the rule of law, thus proceeding as required.) I paid for fast track, or VIP service. After several months, when I had gotten my fingerprints, gone for the medical and X-ray, and taken all the necessary steps, my lawyer contacted me to say that they considered my security check too old. It had been done within the past 6 months, notorized, translated, and apostillized as required.

For those of you who don't know, I am in this country doing volunteer work on a more or less full time basis, with no pay. (That is what volunteer work is.) I have letters from the Bishop of Puerto Plata thanking me for the things I have done to help his causes. I am building a community center for Sosua.

Yet, they questioned my background check, so I applied, got a new one, and submitted it.

That was several months ago. So now, we are approaching the one year anniversary since the application was submitted. I have a case number. I know they have it. Yet still, nothing.

My question is this. How in the world do they intend to regularize all the Haitians and others in this country who have never made an attempt to secure (and pay for) papers to be here legally, if they cannot even process in a timely manner those of us who own valuable property and work for the betterment of the Dominican people and their country?

It truly befuddles me, as I continue to wait to be legally permitted to remain in their country helping their citizens for one more year.

Lindsey

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I ranted on about "illegal situation" in another thread today.....

Anyway september 2013, airline causing problems because my flight back was 6 months later and they insisted I needed a visa......
Anyway long story, in the end I got letter from dr embassy in paris saying MR ##### ###### can come to the dr without a visa and stay as long as it pleases him, blablabla.....

And now a new law, when the old one's directives still werent clear in dr embassys around the world ( their words not mine......).

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You are considered legal as soon as you have all the papers filed, so way before you get your residency card and cedula.

Aug 21, 2007
You are considered legal as soon as you have all the papers filed, so way before you get your residency card and cedula.

Technically, that may be correct. Doesn't work when I try to tell immigration authorities upon my departures.

Lindsey

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
You have to show him the receipt with the file number (make sure you have copies!) worked for me long time ago and still does work for some friends of mine now who are in the process.

miozio

May 23, 2009
We have expired permanent residency since September 2013, will we be considered "legal" after June 1st?