Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Residency and citizenship

Post Thanks / Like

Default Residency and citizenship

Hi all. I'm looking into citizenship in the DR. I think having the privilege of being a dual national is definitely someone to be able to have especially without having to fork out $100,000+ for an economic passport.

I was looking at the DR a few years ago as it seemed easy. By easy I mean that I don't have to actually be in the country to accumulate the necessary years residence I would need but I believe this has changed recently. Would anyone be able to explain to me how to go about it? I've looked at some sites on search engines but they are from lawyers and I don't want to pay that much money. I've also been on this site looking for information and haven't found much on this topic so apologies if there is and I've missed it. I would like to know also how long would it take now to be able to get to the permanent residency stage and do I actually need to be in the country now for an extended period of time?

As a side note, I'm cabin crew with a UK charter airline and can easily come and go from the DR as needed.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

2. Likes DOC1727 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is no 'minimum stay' requirement here.

To qualify , you must not be absent for more than six months.

New rule are are a bit arduous but can be done.....

Correct me people, after permanent residency, I think you can apply for a passport

Fishy, nobody's business "Why"...... how to do? was the question

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

After Permanent Residency you can apply for Citizenship. When you get Citizenship you get your Passport.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

To apply for residency you have to have one, a physical address. I would think without assets in the DR you would not be able to begin the process. The process is expensive and takes many years to get to the citizenship end of it. If you are a citizen of the UK it probably is not going to be advantages to have dual citizenship here anyway.

LTSTeve

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the physical address part LTS.

Assets for sure, My renewal includes bank statements and vehicle matriculas.... yes, land titles too, but my original residency had a bank account as proof of solvency and RD presence.
    Admittedly, the new rules may be different.

One thing for sure, that immigration hall is busy ALL day long... no matter what day you go.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A Dominican bank account with 100,000 pesos fulfills the assets requirement. Opening an account is no simple task however. If you're starting from scratch you should get a lawyer. It will be a mess otherwise. In addition, you can most likely use the law firm's address.

Does the UK even allow dual citizenship aside from other EU countries?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

UK citizens can hold as many citizenships as they care to.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    After Permanent Residency you can apply for Citizenship. When you get Citizenship you get your Passport.
    After the naturalization ceremony you must first apply for and obtain a citizenship cedula before you can apply for a passport. It takes about 4 months from obtaining citizenship to obtaining the passport.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post
    After the naturalization ceremony you must first apply for and obtain a citizenship cedula before you can apply for a passport. It takes about 4 months from obtaining citizenship to obtaining the passport.
    I got my Passport the next day after the Ceremony. But this was 10 or more years ago. I had the Cedula the same day as the ceremony. I had a good lawyer, real good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jinty05 View Post
    UK citizens can hold as many citizenships as they care to.
    this applies for most, if not all , countries.

the ignorance on multiple citizenships is widespread, especially in the US.
    I can't count the number of my US friends who think it is illegal to hold another passport...College graduates , every one.

My RD residency and the resulting benefits for me?
    Dumbfounded by it, they are.
    It astounds me

12. Likes Jaime809 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast