Strike going on in Higuey/Punta Cana

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Surprised no locals have reported this yet. Things seem a bit caliente in Higuey at the moment with protests and tires burning but everything quiet in Punta Cana with no incidents reported up to now. The local taxis were lined up on the highway today and reports say only tourists going to and from the airport are being transported. Most businesses in Higuey are currently closed but as far as I know everything is open in Punta Cana although some excursions are not being offered out of safety to the tourists. Protests are to demand and aqueduct in Higuey, a needed bridge, construction of a hospital and detention center and a solution to the accumulation of garbage.

http://sin24horas.sharedby.co/jXPFow

Huelga paraliza la provincia La Altagracia - DiarioLibre.com

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Walking slow

Government walks slow here.

It has taken more than 60 years just to get some pipes in the ground for the aqueduct. The hospital and detention center will arrive maybe only after the government completes the 10,000 classrooms. The garbage could be taken care of immediately if government forces botellas to work for their paychecks and it purchases refuse removal trucks rather than jeepetas.

Sad to say, the only time that government takes notice is when tires are :angry:burning in the streets and the tourists are inconvenienced. :cry:Sorry, no buggy safaris today.

Regards,

PJT

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Any problems on the new highway?

I haven't heard or seen anything. Just go back from PC Village from close to Coco Loco and everything was the same as always. Can't say the same about Higuey. Apparently the police had a field day there with tear gas...

dondada

Aug 20, 2008
New Orleans - Louisiana
I'm in Higuey at Restaurant Paloma now. The streets are clear and police visible. Not many people driving and most businesses are closed. I'm leaving for playa Macao, the roads are clear.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't heard or seen anything. Just go back from PC Village from close to Coco Loco and everything was the same as always. Can't say the same about Higuey. Apparently the police had a field day there with tear gas...

Thanks - the reason I asked was that Mr C was driving to the capital this afternoon. I just got off the phone with him, he said there was absolutely no sign of anything along the highway and that he got there in two hours.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Nothing better than a good old fashion tire burning to get the govs. attention. Better if they are not still on the car. I love the smell of rubber burning in the morning. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

LTSteve

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The grapevine is indicating for another strike this Wed. and Thurs. May 7,8 in Higuey.

And would include Bavaro and Veron also? The strike included all three last time. I was out driving, was advised not to. Could see the smoke from burning tires in Higuey. As someone else said, no problems on the autopista coral last time.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
The buzz regards Higuey, but if traffic is compromised the entire region will be affected. Get your business done tomorrow. You have been forewarned.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Heard it on the radio this morning too. Frank Rainieri was asking people to avoid violence and use dialog. Hopefully things won't escalate out of control...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Wise men stick to the mantra that, 'okay, there's a strike tomorrow so I'll stay inside all day and lock my doors.' In that spirit I took care of some Higuey business yesterday anticipating trouble there today, and so figuratively locking myself away in Bavaro today. I was indirectly affected by the strike in Bavaro today, nevertheless.

While in Higuey yesterday I picked up a gasoline container (garraf?n) I had out on loan. I needed to test some gasoline-based motorized equipment before I put them to use. So today I show up at the Texaco in Friusa to fill my garraf?n and they refused me due to the strike. I couldn't figure what the strike had to do w/it. A little slow on the upbeat sometimes. The attendant directed me to two PNs that were stationed there. but they couldn't make me understand either. I left w/my tail firmly between my legs but deeply in thought.

A short distance from "la bomba" I had the 'aha' moment. Of course, gasoline in containers during a strike suggests using it to set things on fire (tires, etc.). Duhhhhhhh.

On a more serious note, I'm getting word that a PN shot a striking civilian this morning.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Does anybody know if the autopista is affected? Waiting for some car parts arriving from Santiago. Need them before my trip to POP on Friday...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The times they are a changin in the DR.. The folks are finally starting to rise up against "dah man"..
Need to open up a SOA charter... Who's in?

The Times They Are A Changing- (Espa?ol) - YouTube

Calm down people:classic: Huelgas has been going on in the DR for years! It's a way of life.
This is the way Dominicans demonstrate their displeasure, discontentment and demanding
basic needs.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Anybody know what is the extent of the strike? We have been trying to find out, but of course have the usual difficulties - my reliable source has no phone credit to call brother in Higuey, etc. I heard on the gua gua, etc. Anybody know for sure, are taxis and buses shut down? Tomorrow too? (Yes, we will watch the news tonight on tv).

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I?ve just been watching it on the news. Seems no big deal, just a couple of streets closed off with burning tyres n things. No big deal, this crap happens weekly in my neighbourhood when people get bored and someone begins chinese whispers. Or a local politician pays a few tigres to start a little drama.

From what I have just seen on Telenoticias, nothing to worry about of lose sleep over. Transport can easily bypass the drama.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Followed the link to the Diario Libre.com article provided above by Chirmoya. It just says "communities in Altagracia." Doesn't even say Higuey. I don't recognize the streets in the photos : )