Hurricane Season Forecast: Colorado State University Predicts Below-Average Activity

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
ok mira, I remember last year all the genius forecasters asserted that 2013 was to be a frantic hurricane season...
And what happened, nada... It was very quiet
So...

Aug 6, 2006
I find it rather strange that hurricane surveys would be done by any institution in Colorado.
There are no volcano researching organizations in Kansas, igloo-building is never studied in Honolulu, Puerto Rico is not a focal point for sleet studies.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Update on 2014 forescast

A New report by Nasa suggests that El Nino will be big this year. for those in DR1 with the interest here is the link : El Ni?o: Is 2014 the new 1997? - NASA Science
Have a look at the animation!
Quite what this means for the DR in terms of Tropicl Storms and Hurricanes in unclear but the situation is likened to 1997 so perhaps look at the year for some insight.

A link to the archives on hurricanes suggest that it will be a light year :
Unisys Weather - 1997 Hurricane/Tropical Data for Atlantic

Olly and the Team

Last edited:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Personally, I don't think too much of the forcasters ability to forcast the number of named storms. I consider the entire Caribbean lucky last year. I never even had to pull out my hurricane gear but this year, I've got 200ft of new BBB chain coming and new chafing gear for my lines. Considering that the water temperature is a huge factor with hurricanes and that its already 30.1 degrees celsius, I'm preparing ahead of time. It was too quiet last year, and I just don't believe that it will be quiet a second year.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
They are predicting a quiet year? Watch this year be the mother of all mothers.:tired:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Go for it fish.. put me down for 12 named storms.

Montserrat Iis no longer bellowing ash, and the ocean is already getting warm.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe we should have a pool here on DR1 as to who can guess the closest to how many hurricanes and named storms etc we gonna have.
Der Fish

we'll get up until letter P. i predict few occasional deaths and at least 3,000 damnificados.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Until Mike Fisher chimes in, all this is academic...
Right now, Santiago is getting drenched by rains, really heavy rains. I am sort of sure you will real all about it in tomorrow's
newspapers...it is REALLY raining.

I do hope some of this is falling on lands that are horribly dry...the North Coast and to the west.

Blessings folks

Calling Mike Fisher!!

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The DRopping rain washed out the DRopouts performance in Cabarete at Kahunas. Very heavy DRenching rain at times. Nothing at the moment.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hurricane season is nearly upon us and forecasts have been coming out recently. Here is the link to Colorado state University Forecast : Hurricane Season Forecast: Colorado State University Predicts Below-Average Activity in 2014 | Weather Underground

The 2014 hurricane season is expected to have a below average number of named storms and hurricanes, according to Dr. Phillip J. Klotzbach and Dr. William Gray of Colorado State University (CSU).

Olly and the Team

As Jimmy Buffet once said "there is no reason with hurricane season. Good luck with that.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
MoFo darn computer ?$"&/$?"? shi.t.
since over a week i can not send any message on DR1, tried everything including almost pushing the PC under water on the beach for a few seconds tro get its head clear.
so this one is now a message to check if it works now, if i can post something on the board again now.
in case not, the ones living on the east will hear that and will not need the speakers of their computer to do so.

cheers

Mike