Narco Cultura... Interesting movie.. Is the DR a Narco State too, or parts of it?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
To a growing number of Mexicans and Latinos in the Americas, narco traffickers have become iconic outlaws and the new models of fame and success. They represent a pathway out of the ghetto - a new form of the American Dream, fueled by the war on drugs. NARCO CULTURA looks at this explosive phenomenon from within; cycles of addiction to money, drugs and violence that are rapidly gaining strength on both sides of the US/Mexican border.

The most interesting part to me was the Ballads( songs) glorifying the Criminals...
What would be the equivalent in the DR, Bachata? I dont think so..
But what if parts of the DR became like Juarez Mexico?

You can see it on Netflix the movie..

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
That, "Way Out Of The Ghetto" is often only to prison,or the "Cementario"!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

CCCC has no worries.... "I want to live in America, I want to live in America...

I LIKE CCCC.... No BS... never mixed metaphors..

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2009
Drugs have made inroads into many poor areas, for the worst. The people that "make it" don't last. The DEA & the other federal agencies have these people in deep check and they use them and abuse them then burn them. The bachateros won't touch this and the other mamberos dip their toes into it but they quickly scurry away. It's just not worth it Cantando.

(Can we shut this thread down already?)

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I watched it last week, scary.

Amazing how the kids look up to and want to be like them.

Juarez Mexico, pretty much all hope is lost, sad :(

The DR is a long way from this, although moving in the same direction.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
" Say hello to my little friend." Many from the DR go to NYC only to be caught up in drug arrests and end up serving time in US state prisons. If you have nothing you got nothing to lose. Maybe?

LTSteve

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The clever Dominicans go to NY, sell drugs, know they will get caught, save all they can with family members, get arrested, do a few years, get deported back to the DR, buy a big house on the hill and live life driving a big black SUV with a sound system that sets off car alarms as they cruise by. Is it worth it? Hey, US prisons are not so bad. Is there a better retirement plan available to them in the DR?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Zoom" being someones "Bitch" for 5 to 10, sounds pretty "BAD" to me!
Your "Dream Scenario" is what drives the kids to get into the "Drug Life" in the first place, very few realize THAT Dream!
Just like the "DREAM" of inner city kids who think that there is a NBA contract in their future!
"Clever" would not be the word I would choose!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
When you consider what kind of life is available in the DR its not such a terrible choice. For me or you it would be horrible, I agree For someone who grew up in a slum and lived with violence on a daily basis its not so bad. They have already been stabbed, beaten, starved and sodomized while growing up. At least in the can they have three hots and a cot and some semblance of health care. They can do the time. What do drug offenders do these days? At the most 5 to 7? Only way I know about this is I met a guy who did it and he spoke perfect English, learned in prison.

RAPHAEL

Oct 19, 2007
www.dentistry.unc.edu
The clever Dominicans go to NY, sell drugs, know they will get caught, save all they can with family members, get arrested, do a few years, get deported back to the DR, buy a big house on the hill and live life driving a big black SUV with a sound system that sets off car alarms as they cruise by.

This is a vicious cycle that has no end in sight.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
When you consider what kind of life is available in the DR its not such a terrible choice. For me or you it would be horrible, I agree For someone who grew up in a slum and lived with violence on a daily basis its not so bad. They have already been stabbed, beaten, starved and sodomized while growing up. At least in the can they have three hots and a cot and some semblance of health care. They can do the time. What do drug offenders do these days? At the most 5 to 7? Only way I know about this is I met a guy who did it and he spoke perfect English, learned in prison.

Thats kind of a skewered view. I know several guys growing up who are in the dope business. A couple lived the hollywood dope dealer life until prison. Most dope dealers make about as much as a janitor. The cartels kill people for suspicion, cops steal thier money other drug dealers kidnap thier competitors families, take a guy and torture him to find out where his cash stash is. The dope business is like wall St one percent of the guys are the posterchild and the rest have to work very hard at a business that offers no retirement, health benefits and comes with the hazards listed above.

If a guy just wants to subsist he can join the Dominican military. If you were going to give advice to a Dominican adolescent coming to the US tell him to sell clothes, rims, jewelry or Acuras to Dominican dope dealers. He will probably make more money and learn some decent English.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thats kind of a skewered view. I know several guys growing up who are in the dope business. A couple lived the hollywood dope dealer life until prison. Most dope dealers make about as much as a janitor. The cartels kill people for suspicion, cops steal thier money other drug dealers kidnap thier competitors families, take a guy and torture him to find out where his cash stash is. The dope business is like wall St one percent of the guys are the posterchild and the rest have to work very hard at a business that offers no retirement, health benefits and comes with the hazards listed above.

If a guy just wants to subsist he can join the Dominican military. If you were going to give advice to a Dominican adolescent coming to the US tell him to sell clothes, rims, jewelry or Acuras to Dominican dope dealers. He will probably make more money and learn some decent English.

Johnny, i am glad you brought the very important fact to light; there is no real money in it for the regular drug guys these days. in the late 80s, all kinds of street kids were making big bucks with the crack epidemic. those days are over. guys are paying 25 large for a key, hoping to make 6 grand. if the product is not good stuff, you lose. street dealers are holding their breath that they break even. i need not mention the perils of the business, since Johnny already outlined a few important ones. my buddy in Canada got taken for 175,000 by the cops, who told him that they were just going to write him a summons for an amount that would not get him jail time. if he refused to keep quiet, the deal would be off the table.