Good Vet in Santo Domingo or San Cristobal????

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a bit of an emergency, and need a GOOD vet in either Santo Domingo or San Cristobal.

Our male rottie was neutered today, and it went badly, we need to get him some help first thing in the morning.

Names and addresses please, of places that you have personal experience with.

Thanks in advance

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
big hugs for you and your animals. i know you need good vibes now...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The "vet" who did the castration was a butcher, what a disaster, the poor dog was damned near hemorrhaged to death. Our regular vet does not do them [he doesn't even have an office, he's the vet for UMFU out here, takes care of the large animals/cows mostly], so he brought another guy with him. I won't go into details, but it was brutal surgery. We called our vet last night and he came back [alone, thank God, or I think Mr. AE would have killed the other guy] and gave him something to slow the bleeding and clot the blood. I've been cooking liver for him to build his blood back up, he had a quiet night and no huge puddle of blood this morning, just a trail, seeping, not pouring out.

I think emergency has passed, for the moment anyway, but we have the cellphone #'s of the vet Annie recommended, and will have him in the car in a flash if the bleeding starts again. I'm a little nervous with everything closing down Wednesday for the long weekend, so watching very closely.

As dv8 said, we've had a rough month with the dogs. The mother of the pups had retained placentas and went septic, bleeding from nose & mouth and in urine. We had to remove pups from her, as infection would be in milk too, we lost the 3 males. So we have been hand feeding the females for about 10 days. We dewormed them on Saturday, and they didn't react well, diarrhea/vomiting, not eating, so we were worried we'd lose them.

As far as the mom, we're taking her to SD today to be seen, to see if she can be saved.

We need our own private clinic here - unfortunately we're in the middle of nowhere in the campo, so it's been a challenge.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I'm not a vet but an easy injection of vitamine K before starting the process would have probably avoided or reduced the problem. Sounds like he didn't tie off one of the main veins either. What a genius. Do you have him on antibiotics just to be sure? And watch out for flies so they don't infect the cut. Poor pup :(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and people ask me why we do not want anymore pups. this is why.sometimes things go wrong. poor fiji had a hell of a pregnancy, her hair was falling off, she got infected with ticks and she was not herself. luckily for us all 8 puppies lived but we went out of the way to care for them, including helping to deliver them and then checking them few times at night. i love animals and i get very depressed when something bad happens to them...

a while ago this homeless pregnant cat we were feeding run inside the house and under the sofa after i opened the door. she gave birth under that sofa too. we did not know she had two dead kittens inside. took her to one vet,she said it was all good. the next day we took her to another vet who operated on her immediately, she was put to sleep and cut within minutes from our arrival. he said that she was hours away from death. we thought she will die anyway but she pulled through and she is a happy, fat and healthy cat now.

so yes, a good vet is the key. it is very difficult to find one here. :(

i hope the mother makes it and the remaining pups survive. for being such big and strong dogs rottweilers are pretty fragile, especially when they are young.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with you Dorota, we never will have pups again - ever. It's why we had the male neutered, he impregnated a little local dog the week after our rottie got pregnant, and the last thing DR needs is rottie/viralatas running around.

Plus, we're going to keep the 2 female pups, and don't want to chance the father/daughter mix. We're planning to take the 2 pups back to the US with us the end of this month, and spay them in NJ before we come back - we'll bring them back with us. There is no one here we'd trust to care for the babies. We may only bring one back, our daughter is thinking of keeping one of them. Either way - no more puppies!!

May 5, 2007
AE, not attempting to sound like a "know it all" or even a "told you so," but given your experiences it may be good to interview a few local vest when none of your animals are in crisis? Best of luck and so sorry to hear about that poor pooch. all I can think of is the last Dobe I owned, a big red fellow that had to be neutered at 5yrs due to testicular problems common in Dobes, every time he would turn around to lap "himself" he would give me the most vicious stink-eye like "I once had something here, thanks abunch" Except gaining a couple pounds he was a much happier and easier to get along with horse

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, not attempting to sound like a "know it all" or even a "told you so," but given your experiences it may be good to interview a few local vest when none of your animals are in crisis? Best of luck and so sorry to hear about that poor pooch. all I can think of is the last Dobe I owned, a big red fellow that had to be neutered at 5yrs due to testicular problems common in Dobes, every time he would turn around to lap "himself" he would give me the most vicious stink-eye like "I once had something here, thanks abunch" Except gaining a couple pounds he was a much happier and easier to get along with horse

There ARE no local vets where we live - zero, none, zilch. Until this few months, we only had minor issues, plus the time the male was attacked with a machete, and this vet saved his life.

Today when we got up, the male was much better, the female not so much. I neglected to mention that one morning she couldn't move her right rear leg, we though it was sprained [she loves to climb up on the wicker furniture when we're not around, and we thought she fell off]. Local vet first said it was dislocated, then said it was broken in several places [all by feel - because like I said earlier, he has no office]. So we packed mama rottie into the car, put away the pups, locked up the male, and headed to Santo Domingo. She was x-rayed at Metropolitan Clinica, across from the new Pola on Independencia [is that Miramar?], and there is no break, it's dislocated at the hip. She's having surgery and a slew of blood work to follow up on the other problems, we'll hopefully pick her up tomorrow. He says she'll limp for a day or so, and then be just about back to normal.

Pups are thriving.

Papa rottie whining because he's tied up, but looks better and not pouring out blood. The vet today said to give him some Vitamin K to help thicken the blood [someone here suggested that today, was it Kate?], so we bought it today and he has had his first dose.

Mr. AE was very impressed with the professionality of the vet - who it turns out operated on her several years ago when she cut badly by some flying aluzinc. Small world.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
AE, fingers crossed. sometimes good things happen to good animals :) keep on caring for pa and small goggies and hopefully all will work out well for the ma.